Its Been A Bad Week (& its only Tuesday)

Talk about non-Bongo stuff. BUT KEEP IT CLEAN....there are children watching. Smut, filth, and anything offensive will not be tolerated and removed immediately.

Moderator: Bob

BigPanzer
Tribal Elder

Its Been A Bad Week (& its only Tuesday)

Post by BigPanzer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:12 pm

It all started on Sunday. 'Er in drawers took our Astra to Sainsburys to buy some spuds and when she came out the Astra bumper was on the ground in front of it. The front N/S wing is crunched and the N/S front wheel had been pushed backwards. When the bumper came off it caught the rad and the bottom row of fins is peeled off. By the height of the impact point it looks like it was done by a van or large 4x4.
The snag is, the car has reached that age where the amount of damage exceeds the value of the car so it will be going to the scrappy, but we needed a replacement urgently so the rest of Sunday & much of Monday was spent looking for its successor. Have you ever tried looking at cars in the sleet? Neither easy nor advisable and a miserable time, but this is urgent and we were out so long one of the dogs peed on our new carpet. We are limited because she only has an auto licence and she has fallen in love with - wait for it - a Saab 9500 Estate. High mileage, from trusted, known garage, almost certainly at least as thirsty as the Bongo, probably expensive on some spares, but unlike the Astra it will take all her craft stuff easily and is a lovely drive. More expensive on tax, but cheaper on insurance than the Astra in spite of having twice the power. Having seen it again, clean & dry it looks pretty good & has 6 months warranty. Not much knowledge of Saabs, but it seems to be a competitor for BMW, but without the bad vibes.

Then this morning the Bongo wouldn't start. Turned the key, glowplug light came on, turned again, click! Fortunately we have an LB on it so I put a jump lead across from +ve to +ve, left it for a few minutes and it fired up instantly. So it looks like the SB is knackered.

Troubles always come in spasms of 3. What next I wonder?

Keep warm folks!

Peter
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Its Been A Bad Week (& its only Tuesday)

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:22 pm

Bummer and what a shitty thing to do.

My central heating has packed up this morning. I await my other two misfortunes :-(

But seriously, hope you get your stuff sorted. Tricky with being restricted to autoboxes since, as you say, if things go wrong it could be costly. But Saabs were i thought well built so....... :roll: How many miles will she be doing as mpg is less relevant if she's not doing many.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:21 pm

Rotten luck, but I recon that's your 3. [-o<

Astra, carpet, Bongy having a lie in.

Fingers crossed that's your quota for now. [-o<
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:52 pm

Bob, check your PMs!
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:17 pm

Checked and replied. :wink:
BigPanzer
Tribal Elder

Post by BigPanzer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:13 pm

Thank you for your kind thoughts gentlemen. Whats left of the Astra is going to the scrappy tomorrow morning. What we have been offered for it will probably just about cover the cost of a new SB for Bongy. Bosch 335 isn't it?

Mike - bad luck on the central heating. Ours died last winter, but being classed as old & vulnerable (bit like our boiler) we managed to get a 100% grant for a new boiler. Theoretically the grant money had run out, but we got in touch with our local MP. He gave us a phone number and we had the grant in under a week. This doesn't mean we would vote for him though! Hope you get sorted quick.

Peter
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:49 am

Thanks Peter. I got lucky and my great CH man was on site within the hour and diagnosed frozen pipe preventing boiler overflow from working. Soon sorted and i'm sat here typing this in the warmth. Hope you get your situation sorted soon.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:05 am

Bill, you live in a great part of the world. :D

If we all had a top Bongo man and a top central heating man nearby the world would be wonderful indeed. :D
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:33 am

Bob wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:05 am Bill, you live in a great part of the world. :D

If we all had a top Bongo man and a top central heating man nearby the world would be wonderful indeed. :D
You're so right Ben and long may it continue [-o<

Return to “Off Message”