Anyone done an advanced driving course?

Talk about non-Bongo stuff. BUT KEEP IT CLEAN....there are children watching. Smut, filth, and anything offensive will not be tolerated and removed immediately.

Moderator: Bob

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Anyone done an advanced driving course?

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:05 pm

I am particularly interested in that technique where if you lose it on a corner how you counter intuitively steer
the other way to correct the loss of control/grip and how that might differ for FWD and RWD vehicles.

I drive slow but am potentially interested to learn the above at the very least. Would that be taught on lesson 1?
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Anyone done an advanced driving course?

Post by Bob » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:25 pm

I would consider buying the police manual 'Road Craft' and possibly a skid pan course would suit your needs.

I was an IAM observer for years and wouldn't normaly get into skid control until well into a course, and then I'd advise 1/2 day on a skid pan for hands on experience.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:32 pm

wifes done all this, skid pan in car, and iam for car and large motorbike, she says its the best thing she has ever done.

if your looking to control the car skid pan or simulated skid pan using a cradle is the place to start.

money well spent if you make a weekend out of it.

https://www.trackdays.co.uk/driving-exp ... d-pan/193/
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:49 pm

....and of course no matter how well you handle a skid on a corner, there's a strong possibility the road will run out on you. The best homework you can do is learning and practising to think ahead and look ahead so you might see potential trouble coming and hopefully avoid it (a pilots biggest skill/asset is just that). In that respect, the height of the Bongo is a great help, as it allows you to see over cars and sometimes over walls and hedges as you approach bends on country lanes etc. Also, its mid engine layout makes it less likely to get out of line too quickly if it drifts. 4wd Bongo drivers are even better off (but only if they have trained on what a viscous coupled 4wd will and won't help with).
Sven
Bongonaut

Post by Sven » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:28 pm

I done a motorcycle RoSPA advanced course last year. I’d passed my test 25 years ago & considered myself a good experienced rider. But I learnt a huge amount & its improved my riding a lot. I wish I’d done it years ago.
I think its the best way to improve safety & now suggest it to all of my friends.
We spent the whole of the first day (of a week long course) learning how to brake & stop properly. The instructor said only when he was sure we could do this, then we could move onto the rest of the course.
I now think its the best money you could spend to improve your safety on the road.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:48 pm

Thanks all for the info. I just recall losing grip when I was a young lad going round a corner in the wet
and it sliding away (Vauxhall Chevette Saloon :lol: ), kept control but I remember the helpless feeling. Heart was in my mouth.

Yes these days I am a right poodler...especially so in the Bongo. I can have a think about it all.
Steve O'Bongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Steve O'Bongo » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:38 am

Hi, I've done police advanced driving. What was the issue?
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:52 pm

Also did a skid pad course (morning) many years ago. Basically great fun where there is nothing to hit, On the road once you get into a skid there is not a lot of space to anything before you clip a kern (or worse). Best thing I came away from the course with was 'don't get into a skid in the first place'. Oh yes, also had a huge grin at the end of the course \:D/
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:55 pm

Sven wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:28 pm I done a motorcycle RoSPA advanced course last year. I’d passed my test 25 years ago & considered myself a good experienced rider. But I learnt a huge amount & its improved my riding a lot. I wish I’d done it years ago.
I think its the best way to improve safety & now suggest it to all of my friends.
We spent the whole of the first day (of a week long course) learning how to brake & stop properly. The instructor said only when he was sure we could do this, then we could move onto the rest of the course.
I now think its the best money you could spend to improve your safety on the road.
Motorbike training made me a far better car driver as I now appreciate and understand why motorcyclists need more room - the manhole covers are always on corners :roll: and I can spot a diesel rainbow rapidly :shock:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:22 pm

TheLongRoad wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:55 pm
Sven wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:28 pm I done a motorcycle RoSPA advanced course last year. I’d passed my test 25 years ago & considered myself a good experienced rider. But I learnt a huge amount & its improved my riding a lot. I wish I’d done it years ago.
Motorbike training made me a far better car driver as I now appreciate and understand why motorcyclists need more room - the manhole covers are always on corners :roll: and I can spot a diesel rainbow rapidly :shock:
Agree 100%. Doing the RAC/ACU course at 17 and riding old motorbikes with poor brakes around London was the best road awareness training i could have had.
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:40 pm

At 18 years old, I had a series 2 Land Rover. Single circuit drum brakes all round. In emergency, apply brakes fully the day before you set off. :wink:
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:24 pm

Ah yes...

I've had a few series Land Rovers - Just one story, going down a good hill after passing through flood water we saw a Volvo coming up the hill.

Commented to my pal (Chris), "If she knew how hard I had my foot on the brake she'd have pulled into that wide spot".

Happy days. :)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:26 am

Oh dear yes. I used to drive a Morris 1000 with 4 strapping mates in it down Westerham Hill. It had little engine braking and by the time we reached the bottom the brakes had all but faded completely. I just had to hope no car pulled across from the minor road crossing at that point. :?
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:50 am

That's the risk of letting us Flower Pot men out on our own, Bill. :lol:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:18 pm

Bob wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:50 am That's the risk of letting us Flower Pot men out on our own, Bill. :lol:
Brakes might have coped if we'd been on our own Ben. As ever, its The Others that are the problem :lol:

Return to “Off Message”