Punctures, bald tyres and UK road deaths up 4pct

Talk about non-Bongo stuff. BUT KEEP IT CLEAN....there are children watching. Smut, filth, and anything offensive will not be tolerated and removed immediately.

Moderator: Bob

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Punctures, bald tyres and UK road deaths up 4pct

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:16 am

This summer is the summer where I have seen the most roadside punctures I have ever seen. I have seen people jacking their
cars at the roadside so many times I almost sensed a motoring industry conspiracy of some kind. Every journey I have notcied
many people roadside with the wheel off.

Has anyone else notice this on their travels ?

As times become harder people change their tyres less and they puncture more often. Yesterday I was getting petrol and spotted a 4x4 behind me and the occupants went into to buy food...(not a cheap vehicle) with thread bear front tyres. Illegal without doubt. I think people are using cheaper tyres (unheard of brands etc.) and wearing them thread bare in the last few years. It would explain more punctures on motorways.

Then I see this in my inbox...

https://www.petrolprices.com/road-deaths-increase-4pc/

That article puts forward some possible reasons but bald budget tyres are putting lives at risk needlessly.
It is rare to see a quality brand tye on a vehicle these days. (Dunlop, Pirelli, Michelin, Good Year etc.)

I could not help but think blow outs at high speed and bald tyres might be adding to these deadly statistics.

(I myself am guilty of putting a Chinese tyre on from a self induced kerb puncture this year, the other 3 on their are Arrowspeed so not the best by any
means. But I will change them well before they are near the legal limit cause I know our lives depend on them and at that stage put quality rubber on. I am reasonably sure that all the punctures I have seen are not just related to me being more aware of them cause I have had one myself.)
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Punctures, bald tyres and UK road deaths up 4pct

Post by Bob » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:30 am

Interesting.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:53 am

BongoBongo123 ...you have probably hit the NAIL on the head (or the pointed bit) :lol:
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:34 am

teenmal wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:53 am BongoBongo123 ...you have probably hit the NAIL on the head (or the pointed bit) :lol:

#-o :lol:
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:53 pm

I do low miles as very sensible speeds so tyres tend to last a rather long time before wearing out. Once I have only 3-4 mm
I will put some quality tyres on. (no ABS to rely on in our 95 Bongo so you have only the your response time, tyre and the road
between you and and impact)

Just not sure whether to go go all season like many do or go for maximum wet performance A rating. #-o The Mrs thinks all season tyres
but I don't see the point when there is rarely any snow and the UK is mainly cold and wet in winter. No 4WD so I am not inspired to do any
over adventurous winter driving.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:05 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:53 pm I do low miles as very sensible speeds so tyres tend to last a rather long time before wearing out. Once I have only 3-4 mm
I will put some quality tyres on. (no ABS to rely on in our 95 Bongo so you have only the your response time, tyre and the road
between you and and impact)

Just not sure whether to go go all season like many do or go for maximum wet performance A rating. #-o The Mrs thinks all season tyres
but I don't see the point when there is rarely any snow and the UK is mainly cold and wet in winter. No 4WD so I am not inspired to do any
over adventurous winter driving.
Interesting find bb123. From my limited experience I have found winter and all season tyres to feel significantly more reassuring in wet conditions, albeit the winter ones wore faster. I'm not sure its necessary to buy expensive top brand names and some now well established 'newer' names started out i suspect as 'cheaper' tyres. The biggest austerity driven threats are i think retreads, all those part used puncture repaired offers on ebay etc., and lazy/incorrect tyre use and maintenance, including running tread too low and failing to spot uneven wear on inside portion of tyre tread caused by wheel misalignment.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:08 pm

Crikey re-moulds ... ha ha have not heard of those for a while. I did used to use part worns on my old bangers when I was 17/18 !

Did I see you recently put a tyre named "Maxxis" on your Bongo ? That might perk my interest if there is a recommendation from
other Bongo users.
Last edited by BongoBongo123 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:09 pm

From memory all seasons come into their own below 7c and are better in the wet, might be worth looking at price difference.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:17 pm

Cool found them here... £80.00 per corner

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/Tyres/M ... -/R-273181

Not as cheap as I suspected. A Dunlop Summer tye is about £94.00 with A rating wet grip.

Tricky decision. I suspect the Maxxis would also be good getting out of waterlogged/muddy fields we occasionally find ourself in.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:04 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:08 pm Crikey re-moulds ... ha ha have not heard of those for a while. I did used to use part worns on my old bangers when I was 17/18 !

Did I see you recently put a tyre named "Maxxis" on your Bongo ? That might perk my interest if there is a recommendation from
other Bongo users.

If you can get them try Retread tyres by a prominent Manufacturer.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:55 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:17 pm Cool found them here... £80.00 per corner

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/Tyres/M ... -/R-273181

Not as cheap as I suspected. A Dunlop Summer tye is about £94.00 with A rating wet grip.

Tricky decision. I suspect the Maxxis would also be good getting out of waterlogged/muddy fields we occasionally find ourself in.
I think mine were £258 for four but looks like price has risen (no doubt falling £ hasn't helped :-( )
BigPanzer
Tribal Elder

Post by BigPanzer » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:14 am

Hi,

I think one cause is probably the fact that pressure checks are not done as often as they used to be. When I was in my early driving years I learned that there are things that needed to be done frequently - lights, fluids, wipers, tyres etc. Few seem to bother as much these days and a tyre not even visibly deflated can get hot on a long run and eventually fail. Another cause can be putting incorrect size tyres on the rims.

If you have to wait to use an airline, take note of how many folk also check the pressure in the spare. Can't remember when I last saw somebody do it.

Peter
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:25 am

BigPanzer wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:14 am Hi,

I think one cause is probably the fact that pressure checks are not done as often as they used to be. When I was in my early driving years I learned that there are things that needed to be done frequently - lights, fluids, wipers, tyres etc. Few seem to bother as much these days and a tyre not even visibly deflated can get hot on a long run and eventually fail. Another cause can be putting incorrect size tyres on the rims.

If you have to wait to use an airline, take note of how many folk also check the pressure in the spare. Can't remember when I last saw somebody do it.

Peter
One of the reasons is probably the fact that many vehicles "now" do not have a spare wheel. [-o<
BigPanzer
Tribal Elder

Post by BigPanzer » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:09 pm

Hi Teenmal,

A very good point. I was really thinking of the older vehicles, which did come fitted with one.

As an aside, the lady who lives next door to us is not badly off - she is a solicitor - and she runs a brand new Range Rover Evoque. A couple of weeks ago I commented that it came fitted with winter tyres (she didn't know they were) and the conversation came around to pressures. She was quite open about the fact that she never checked them "because they are done when it is serviced".

Peter
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:35 pm

Of course this could be once a year, at best, if it actualy gets done. #-o

How many of us have heard, "I don't check the oil because there's a light". :roll:

Return to “Off Message”