Tom Petty has left the building

Talk about non-Bongo stuff. BUT KEEP IT CLEAN....there are children watching. Smut, filth, and anything offensive will not be tolerated and removed immediately.

Moderator: Bob

mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Tom Petty has left the building

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:24 am

Gone @ 66. One of the biggest influences on me and my generation of musicians. A true 100% rock and roller and a giant of a songwriter. Only saw him once, c1978, 'before he was famous' (according to the Beeb - hah!) but he was fab.

RIP Tom, uniquely special. 8)
Dabs
Supreme Being

Re: Tom Petty has left the building

Post by Dabs » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:27 am

There is one heck of a band up there Mike!!
Its Oh so quiet!!..Ex Terra Lucem!!..A Leopard can't change his spots!
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:45 am

Dabs wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:27 am There is one heck of a band up there Mike!!
Certainly is - i could look forward to hearing them. Wonder if Tom will rework 'Hark the herald angels sing' :-)

His going is a huge sadness. I've sat and played so many of his songs. Now i know how Elvis fans felt when he died :-(
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:08 am

Very sad. :(
BigPanzer
Tribal Elder

Post by BigPanzer » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:33 pm

One of the greats of rock. I saw him live in '87 with Dylan & Roger Mcguinn, it was an unforgettable night and I've even still got the t-shirt

Peter
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:14 pm

BigPanzer wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:33 pm One of the greats of rock. I saw him live in '87 with Dylan & Roger Mcguinn, it was an unforgettable night and I've even still got the t-shirt

Peter
I'll bet it was - you can dine out on that one forever. Don't wear out that tee shirt by wearing it [-X
BigPanzer
Tribal Elder

Post by BigPanzer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:48 am

Mike - Temples in Flames tour at Wembley. Went to see Dylan really & was very disappointed. Tom & HB did some of did some of his own stuff & some Dylan, complete with hat & Rickenbacker & was really enjoying himself, but the real star of the show was McGuinn on 12 string accoustic doing all his early Byrds stuff brilliantly backed by Tom & HB. Dylan was obviously out of it and never lost his "when can I get off" expression, but the others more than made up for him. It was a brill night & the t-shirt is worn on special occasions only!

Peter
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:19 am

BigPanzer wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:48 am Mike - Temples in Flames tour at Wembley. Went to see Dylan really & was very disappointed. Tom & HB did some of did some of his own stuff & some Dylan, complete with hat & Rickenbacker & was really enjoying himself, but the real star of the show was McGuinn on 12 string accoustic doing all his early Byrds stuff brilliantly backed by Tom & HB. Dylan was obviously out of it and never lost his "when can I get off" expression, but the others more than made up for him. It was a brill night & the t-shirt is worn on special occasions only!

Peter
That's exactly how i'd have guessed it was - great to have seen the icon Dylan and TP was honoured to be backing him, but the musical entertainment lay elsewhere.

Have you watched the 3hr Bogdanovitch directed film on the story of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. Its superb. I think its on Netflix or else buy on DVD.

Return to “Off Message”