just thought i would read up on this newish technology.

Talk about non-Bongo stuff. BUT KEEP IT CLEAN....there are children watching. Smut, filth, and anything offensive will not be tolerated and removed immediately.

Moderator: Bob

Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

just thought i would read up on this newish technology.

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:01 pm

wish id not bothered. #-o #-o . i would need to wear a shirt and tie to understand this crap.

technology, guess this make me a confirmed luddite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus
the laird
Supreme Being

Re: just thought i would read up on this newish technology.

Post by the laird » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:18 pm

I was in charge of a pug dealership in Edinburgh and had been in the trade for thirty odd years,got totally puddled of with plug in and play,van/can and multiplex wiring ,hence I drive hgv ,s now.
Used to get satisfaction when doing a service,adjust tappets,set dwell ,tune carbs etc.pleasure in an end product.now change oil n filter,plug in a watch if a prob with a pug and the dealer can't sort ,couple the machine to veh and some wee boffin does from h q.no satisfaction in it for me .!
Rant over ,God I feel better noooooo! :D :D :D
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:20 pm

I can do the cycling bit. :lol:
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:47 pm

You need to get an off road, 2 stroke motorbike.
The only communication protocols used involve spanners and hammers
They usually don't even have a battery let alone CAN bus
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:51 pm

thats about all i could do bob. :lol: :lol: .

when it comes to fitting a towbar (dealer price, 500-700 quid) that costs £100 to buy, someones being stitched up. i like to do stuff myself then i know its done right etc but it wont be long now and we wont be able to tinker.
i saw a bit of blurb that said it just makes it easier to add on the optional extras to the basic car if purchased, and costs less to manufacture as copper costs money. --------- fibre optics here we come.

bring back the days when we would lift the bonnet on a sunday morning and spend the morning tuning yer triumph herald or morris minor so it wouldnt let you down during the next seven days. #-o #-o :wink:
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:53 pm

the laird wrote:I was in charge of a pug dealership in Edinburgh and had been in the trade for thirty odd years,got totally puddled of with plug in and play,van/can and multiplex wiring ,hence I drive hgv ,s now.
Used to get satisfaction when doing a service,adjust tappets,set dwell ,tune carbs etc.pleasure in an end product.now change oil n filter,plug in a watch if a prob with a pug and the dealer can't sort ,couple the machine to veh and some wee boffin does from h q.no satisfaction in it for me .!
Rant over ,God I feel better noooooo! :D :D :D
Id feel safer buying from a reputable breeder,or a vet recommended one.

Having said that.think they are an ugly breed anyway.

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:55 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: [-X
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:04 pm

Whats funny,they are ugly!!

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:17 am

If Clarkson and his pals and even the team before them, instead of @rsing around skidding on aerodromes and winding up people in other countries, had said "What the hell's going on?" to the motor industry, "Nobody wants or needs these innovations. We'll stop buying new cars if this is how they are going to be", we might have got together a sizeable lobby against this nonsense. Too late now.

Unfortunately the great motoring public no longer know their way around under the bonnet and just trade in after 3 years and pay heavily for this consumer culture and are totally obsessed with agressively styled front llighting (which requires a booked in session to change a bulb) and other worthless gimmicks.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:35 am

Couldn't have put it better, Frank. =D>
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:25 am

In early 80s I worked on a multiplexor system for British Leyland on a Rover 3500. It was a failure but very amusing! Couldn't make it reliable enough and on the prototype's test drive "stuff" happened randomly. Never realised that we were probably only a couple years ahead of German success. Next time I came across it was when I was told I could not DIY fix a tow bar to a Citroen 15 yrs ago.

I speak in awe of so many on this site for whom Bongo technology is still largely DIY'able. It has been my first visit back to DIY since the 80s and really notice how much technology I have to work to understand but is clearly second nature and standard to many here. Similarly my Dad who hill-climbed MGs in the 30s used to claim a squashed in 70s engine as unserviceable whereas I could strip almost every component. In his day he could dismantle and repair a shock absorber, whereas I would just replace. This inexorable progress has to stop - when we don't repair a car but simply replace. The disposable car! The journey will be painful for engineers.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:40 am

Hi
HA!....you're in the wrong country, that's all...It's rather refreshing when you see the locals still using a horse and plough to do the garden!...Tractors are quite often from the 50s/ 60s, and they tackle radios with a monkey-wrench. They have a saying here that reckons a "master" (of anything ) isn't a master if he hasn't got a hammer!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:46 am

Northern Bongolow wrote:wish id not bothered. #-o #-o . i would need to wear a shirt and tie to understand this crap.

technology, guess this make me a confirmed luddite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus
Ye Gods, now I definitely don't want anything more modern than a Bongo:
The modern automobile may have as many as 70 electronic control units (ECU) for various subsystems.[6] Typically the biggest processor is the engine control unit. Others are used for transmission, airbags, antilock braking/ABS, cruise control, electric power steering, audio systems, power windows, doors, mirror adjustment, battery and recharging systems for hybrid/electric cars
I might have said it's enough to make you yearn for the simplicity of a bicycle, until I read:
The CAN bus protocol has been used on the Shimano Di2 electronic gear shift system for road bikes since 2009
Hope they don't start using them in flood defence systems :roll:
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:05 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
HA!....you're in the wrong country, that's all...It's rather refreshing when you see the locals still using a horse and plough to do the garden!...Tractors are quite often from the 50s/ 60s, and they tackle radios with a monkey-wrench. They have a saying here that reckons a "master" (of anything ) isn't a master if he hasn't got a hammer!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Helen
Ah yes, the Birmingham screwdriver

And how will students do their trans-continental expeditions, having running repairs made on a milling machine in the local hairdresser's shed? (a real life for instance, no offence to hairdressers :lol: )
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:32 pm

cmm303 wrote: Ah yes, the Birmingham screwdriver
Gosh, how posh :lol:
During my youth in Brum, they were always known as Brummagem screwdrivers - essential equipment to fix Austin cars and BSA motorbikes :lol:
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)

Return to “Off Message”