Serious motor insurance questions and concerns

Who's hot and who's not? Good tips and bad rips....

Moderator: Ian

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Serious motor insurance questions and concerns

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:01 pm

Since 17 all I have known is it is best to have a comprehensive motor policy. Fortunately, touch wood
I have had very few car accidents, and none of late. I suspect that many people rarely read
their policy details and I became a little concerned and surprised when I did.

For one reason and another I have been looking at my 2 comprehensive motor policies and considering various insurances.

I have a few questions and a few statements.

Statements

Both of the 2 policies I have pay out £100.00 only for medical expenses. (seems this is typical) I suppose
we have the NHS.

Both policies have a degree of personal accident insurance (£5,000.00 max) I presum you can bump it up.
And if you have personal accident insurance as a seperate policy it might be worth checking it covers car accidents.

Questions:

If I have an accident and it is my fault, can the other driver/occupants sue me for future loss of earnings
and does a typical comprehensive insurance cover that ?

If I have an accident and am not at fault can I do the reverse ?

I actually feel a little concerned for not knowing what a typical comprehensive motor insurance policy covers.
We tend to go for a decent price and not look at the details much, other than accuracy of personal details.

I also wonder if a seperate personal accident policy would cover car accidents? Quite often there may be little or
NO personal accident insurance on a standard comprehensive policy.

So whilst I don't want to be a worry wart (or make you one) I am considering this and looking into what is what and I suspect
as like most people you have never looked at your policy to see what is covered it might be worth having a look
to see if the cover on offer is what you might think it is.

Any reply to questions would be handy as I would like to hope that loss of earnings claims should be
covered by a comprehensive policy. Nothing is really mentioned on my insurance policy documents.
Last edited by BongoBongo123 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Re: Serious motor insurance questions and concerns

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:06 pm

Just to get us going a bit I found this..

https://www.gocompare.com/car-insurance ... ury-cover/
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:05 pm

Having spoken with someone close to me who has just retired from a senior insurance job advice is 'Read your policy documents'.

What is and isn't covered is in there.

A motor policy is not a personal accident policy, and a personal accident policy is not a motor policy.

In the end what has to be paid out following a claim may be decided by the insurers, but ultimately the courts decide, and she does say, 'Don't take advice from your mate down the pub'.

Sorry if that doesn't sound helpful, and please note this is only my personal view. 8)
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:33 pm

Yes I am going through this in some detail now. One of those things best looked into with care despite the worry and concerns. It is boring and complicated and means a few phone calls to clarify things as well but better to know what you have actually bought when you looked for the
cheapest quote. (As many of us do every year.)

Return to “Insurance”