Agreed Value Insurance ?

Who's hot and who's not? Good tips and bad rips....

Moderator: Ian

g8dhe
Supreme Being

Agreed Value Insurance ?

Post by g8dhe » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:40 pm

Anybody taken out an "Agreed Value" insurance for there vehicle ?
Applying at the moment and wondering what other peoples experience might be on the subject ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Agreed Value Insurance ?

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:28 pm

had it in the past geoff with classic cars, can be restrictive with the milage so check you will have enough allowance for your needs.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:02 pm

Yup good point, if there is a restriction I doubt that it will suit me!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:08 pm

Maybe worth it ...

I gifted my 1998 (R reg) V6 LPG JAL converted Bongo to a Grandson who lives 200 miles away from me ..

He was hit by a woman who took full liability for the accident .. and the insurance deemed it a total loss ..

Bearing in mind that it was in excellent rust free condition .. MOTd a couple of months previously .. fully serviced and in pristine mechanical condition .. even after appealing and quoting adverts for similar age JAl Bongos which some where not Romano LPG converted .. there maximum payout was £5500..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:46 pm

Yup that's why I thought I'd get a quote at least, also it saves all the hassle of trying to justify a figure after the event when all you might have is a pile of wreckage and not exactly in a mood to argue about value when all your trying to do is find a replacement :-(
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:08 am

it may be even harder if your trying to negotiate from a foreign hospital bed with your body a little battered about. the trouble may be though who would put the value on it, its easier with a standard car with a few mods but the bongo may be a bit more difficult to agree on with so many add ons.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:37 am

We have a traders policy. The problem with these is any vehicle privately used ( your own ) are valued at the trade price if stolen or accident damaged.
I have a a couple of "classic cars" and to deal with that issue they are agreed value and mileage limited < 6000 per year each.
The value was agreed by sending pictures to the insurers( actually it was our broker) and listing mileages and condition, extras etc.
However on one vehicle it could not be agreed this way in that instance we had to pay for a valuer to visit and inspect the car. I dont remember the amount, that car has since been sold,but I think part of the fee was based on the arrived at value and this value was accepted for three years before it had to be revalued.
Although MOT exempt, obviously wouldn't apply to Bongos, we do have to have them MOT tested each year and a copy of the cert sent to the insurers.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:25 pm

Found this company on the net, they specifically mention vans in the blurb.

http://www.brentacre.co.uk/agreed-values/
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:23 am

I would be very surprised if you will get AV realistic insurance on a Bongo (if its a bongo you are talking about) AV on Classic vehicles is a different kettle of fish.

Good Luck.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:50 am

OK, well it came in this morning and I have the usual 14 days to quibble;
Agreed value £8,000 ( I had tried for £10,000, but they would want a separate valuation for that), no change in mileage limit of 8000 miles from the main policy for an all in cost of £39 pounds (total for premium and agreement charges) being for a 1998 V6 AFT Converted to motorhome Ford Freda.
I shall spend some additional time re-reading the policy several times but nothing jumps out at me on the first scan to make me shudder ;-)
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:17 pm

That sounds pretty good, Geoff. :D
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:13 pm

I must admit it doesn't seem to bad a spend to avoid a lot of possible hassle in the event of a right-off, bearing in mind that it could under the worst possible events, be at a time when you have enough on your plate as it is! Subsequent years seem to only require the premium and not incur the set-up charges so that would be £15 less, but I suspect that a revaluation would be required at some point. The value at £8000 would be the minimum I would go for given that its now a 20 year old van that has had a bit of spend on it in recent months.

The process of setting it up wasn't a problem, although there web page didn't function correctly, ended up doing it via email. Basically a more detailed description, with receipts for work done along with a series of dated photo's, the main policy is with Highway and the Agreed valuation with Qudos, via Adrian Flux.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:36 pm

That sounds like a good deal to me.
As I said in a previous post I have some vehicles covered by AV but unfortunately not my motor cycle.
After a collision and subsequent theft of the bike I received a trade payout of approximately half of what it will cost to replace and whats more I was not able to claim for accessories either.
So a bit miffed about that with myself for letting that one get past me.
It has to be worth the additional set up costs in the long run as It doesn't only apply to theft but accident damage too.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:04 pm

Geoff, as a matter on interest can you tell me what was the premium cost for your "Agreed Value" cover.

Thanks
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:19 pm

The extra was a total of £39 of which £15 was a one off setup charge, so the actual premium was £24 for the year, it wasn't/isn't clear just how long the agreement runs but it seems to be 2 years so I expect another premium next year and then possibly a revaluation in the third year ....
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Insurance”