Elephant Insurance

Who's hot and who's not? Good tips and bad rips....

Moderator: Ian

boris77
Apprentice Bongonaut

Elephant Insurance

Post by boris77 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:27 pm

Having found a bongo at the right price and reasonable condition I thought I'd re-check insurance before hitting the go button.

I'm finding the brokers are coming in around the £500-600 mark (tintop 8 seater), ouch! I used the comparison sites and am getting a real mixed bag. So far using compare the market I've found Elephant coming in at £277, using other comparison sites and they come in at £380. Going direct Elephant come in at £480!

Anyone using Elephant? Anyone found this odd price difference going on? Makes me rather confused as to why the spread in prices. Its the only thing holding me back on buying one as I don't fancy paying out 400+ in insurance a year.
Ian
Supreme Being

Re: Elephant Insurance

Post by Ian » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:54 pm

Post moved to the "Insurance" section.

I've just looked through the database of just under 3,000 members and exactly 4 have used Elephant. Whether that is a good deal or not depends on many factors including postcode and personal circumstances, but I would not expect to pay more than £300 to £350 for fully comp insurance on an 8 seater low top. and probably a lot less than that.

Have a look at other discussions in this section, and also look at the Insurance page on the main website, quick link at http://igmaynard.co.uk/insurance/. 2Gether, Lifesure and Insurance Choice all give significant discounts to club members for Bongo insurance, at least in year one.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:46 pm

Do you actually need 8 seats?

I enjoy a reduction with Adrian Flux having removed a row of seats (the back one) and declaring it as a 5 seater.

This also has the advantage that i can turn down suggestions by other people that I should transport them and their kids around.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:14 pm

I have 8 seats but added a rear kitchen with sink and hob.
Then you have a 8 seater camper.
Remember it comes out of the factory with 8 seats 6 of them convert to a bed or table you are adding a sink and hob, then in the eyes of most insurers its camper, even though the log book says MPV.
I have done this for the last 5 years with Flux, 2gether and some others who I have forgotten.
The kitchen cost me about £150 to build and the services are not connected up as we never use it.Image
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:26 pm

You have to be careful using comparison sites because you don't always get the chance to declare it as a grey import, which may account for why Elephant were a lot higher when you called them.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:28 pm

Good advice above. I paid about £200 with 2gether, all mods declared
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:29 pm

Hi boris77 , it might be worthwhile trying Admiral, Elephant is a subsidiary of Admiral.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:11 pm

Large variations are not surprising. Some companies won't want to know
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
boris77
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by boris77 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:07 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

francophile1947 - You were right. Despite filling in that it was an import on compare the market it didn't set the "its an import" box on the Elephant quote, which pushed the price back up to 400 quid.

Seems I need to do some more research, wasn't expecting insurance quite so high. I'll look in to some of the suggestions around seats and camping set up.
Scratch
Bongolier

Post by Scratch » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:24 am

I got exactly the same quote from Elephant and Admiral for my 2002 Petrol unconverted Tin Top (£200)
If you go on the web sites all the questions are the same, so I realised ,as previously mentioned, that they are the same company.
I struggled to get a good quote last year and ended up paying £340 with Aviva,
I rang Admiral and because I also insured my wife's car with them at a good price, my insurance for the Bongo came down to £150. (2 years no claims and a couple of minor accidents) I also insured my house with them at a lower price than currently.
Very pleased all round.

What I don't understand is why I paid over twice as much last year and why Admiral weren't competitive then.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:57 am

It's all down to where you live, where it is parked overnight, what you use it for and how many miles pa you expect to do.

Living in Central (or indeed most of) London (other high risk large cities are available), parking it on the street overnight and commuting 200miles per day will not get you insurance for £200 pa.
boris77
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by boris77 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:25 pm

scanner wrote:It's all down to where you live, where it is parked overnight, what you use it for and how many miles pa you expect to do.

Living in Central (or indeed most of) London (other high risk large cities are available), parking it on the street overnight and commuting 200miles per day will not get you insurance for £200 pa.
Indeed. I live in a low crime area, off road parking, low mileage and only a windscreen claim so miffed at the prices I've been getting. By contrast my kitcar insurance with breakdown cover is just shy of 200.
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:32 pm

Shopping around is the key, if its not used for commotion and is a camper with a milage limit it all keeps costs down
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:28 pm

boris77 wrote:
scanner wrote:It's all down to where you live, where it is parked overnight, what you use it for and how many miles pa you expect to do.

Indeed. I live in a low crime area, off road parking, low mileage and only a windscreen claim so miffed at the prices I've been getting. By contrast my kitcar insurance with breakdown cover is just shy of 200.
Have you asked your existing insurer if they will do a multi car deal?
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:38 pm

Just had renewal notice for my '96 unconverted AFT, old git in Somerset, parked on drive - £215.

Not going to bother shopping round at that. :D

Edit: That's with LV.

Return to “Insurance”