2Gether INSURANCE - a warning

Who's hot and who's not? Good tips and bad rips....

Moderator: Ian

vanvliet
Supreme Being

2Gether INSURANCE - a warning

Post by vanvliet » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:38 pm

I have been with 2Gether insurance for around 8 years and at the beginning of October 2015. I paid my annual premium of around £200. We are now just into December .
I sold the van yesterday and rang them to request that at least a percentage of my outlay be refunded after reading (in their literature sent with the policy) that I would get ' 65% refunded after 60 days or 50% refunded up to 90 days'
Imagine my surprise to find that they have an admin charge of £45 for all cancellations and that ,taking other fees into consideration I would be refunded - - - - NOTHING AT ALL !!!!!! NOT A BEANIE!!! Zilch!!!! Zero!!!!
Moral - check the small print then the smaller print then look at other insurers small print which may,or may not, have a similar approach to insurance cancellation
Origo bio stove - no Bongo!
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: 2Gether INSURANCE - a warning

Post by helen&tony » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:54 am

Hi
That's something they all do now in the insurance market...The same applies if you pay monthly by direct debit...it's a legal contract to pay that can't be cancelled (in theory)...BUT...that's if they want to take you to court ! :wink: ...Gone are the old days of refunds when you sell your vehicle....Frankly, it amounts to theft!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:20 am

Maybe they do an insurance to cover needing to cancel insurance. ](*,)
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:04 am

Insurance is a scam, and we all know it. We're told that legal obligations are about to be placed on insurers to be clearer with customers over rising premiums. Maybe this practice should also be tackled by the law.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:50 pm

Hi
Yes to that idea..insurance in case you need to cancel insurance....and another one to get legal cover to make the beggars pay out a decent figure in the event of a write-off!!!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:15 pm

Last year I cancelled a policy with Lifesure after about 4 months and got nearly half the premium back.
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:23 pm

scanner wrote:Last year I cancelled a policy with Lifesure after about 4 months and got nearly half the premium back.
So,there you have it. If you have a 2Gether policy then seriously consider changing to Lifesure at the next renewal date.I had checked Lifesure out and the premiums were about the same but inertia and some misplaced sense of trusting 2Gether to treat me fairly kept me with 2Gether who had arranged a policy with Highway. I just thank god that I never had to claim - - - - -
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:54 pm

vanvliet wrote:
scanner wrote:Last year I cancelled a policy with Lifesure after about 4 months and got nearly half the premium back.
So,there you have it. If you have a 2Gether policy then seriously consider changing to Lifesure at the next renewal date.I had checked Lifesure out and the premiums were about the same but inertia and some misplaced sense of trusting 2Gether to treat me fairly kept me with 2Gether who had arranged a policy with Highway. I just thank god that I never had to claim - - - - -
I would have just changed the vehicle, but it was to a different type (from a motorhome to a van) and simply swapping vehicles would have cost more than cancelling and putting the credit towards the new premium AND in doing so getting another 12 months instead of the 7 months remaining. Lifesure actually advised me that that was the most cost effective solution.

I'm lucky that Lifesure is just down the road in St Neots, I'm often able to actually call into their offices and discuss things over the counter if necessary and I have several policies with them - so all that may help.
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:30 am

I renewed my Land Rover with them yesterday, the lady made it perfectly clear of the costs before I took it out, I have found most of the cheaper companies are the same Flux also operates similar charges.
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:25 pm

winchman wrote:I renewed my Land Rover with them yesterday, the lady made it perfectly clear of the costs before I took it out, I have found most of the cheaper companies are the same Flux also operates similar charges.
Well the 2Gether representative did not make this clear ( it is something I would remember!) and in fact they did not refer to this at all when I took out the policy and I did not ask .
I have now asked for written confirmation of the details and will be referring this to the Financial Services Authority with ,of course, no hope at all of anything being done to address this issue.
At least it might act as warning to other owners to check on surrender charges when taking out a policy (as Winchman has done). Had I been aware I too would have asked about this and I confess that I scanned the information about percentage refunds without realising that they would all be nullified by the massive cancellation charges. Why quote 'percentage refunds' for policy cancellations when nobody would, in the end, receive them!
Last edited by vanvliet on Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:31 pm

I think 2gether may be heading to lose some business. I for one will be comparing their refund policy against Lifesure (who I used to be with years ago until their premium shot up and 2gethers didn't - I suspect they've since come down again) when renewal time comes round. There can be no justification for their treatment of vanvliet [-X :evil:
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:28 pm

On 11th Dec I sent off my letter by Royal Mail first class ( with PP cert ) asking for written details of how 2Gether calculated that I would not receive any refund. It was addressed to the manager. It is now the 21st Dec and I have not received any reply - - - - - - - - - - - -.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:18 pm

vanvliet wrote:On 11th Dec I sent off my letter by Royal Mail first class ( with PP cert ) asking for written details of how 2Gether calculated that I would not receive any refund. It was addressed to the manager. It is now the 21st Dec and I have not received any reply - - - - - - - - - - - -.
And even if you get one it won't make any difference.

I complained to the FOS about another broker who had a "We'll keep £25 of any refund even if you cancel during the cooling off period" clause in their T&Cs and didn't get anywhere.

The "decision" was "Well it was set out in their T&Cs so tough" and it took the FOS 18 months to come to that conclusion.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:18 pm

Proof of postage does not equate to proof of delivery. For important stuff, the Royal Mail 'Signed For 1st Class' service (what I think used to be called recorded delivery) is best option as its fully trackable and you will be able to see who signed for it. Doesn't guarantee to get your complaint dealt with any better but at least you have the satisfaction of knowing they have received it.
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:47 pm

Good point. If I do not get a reply I will send a registered copy - -

Return to “Insurance”