Insurance for airlift and audio upgrade

Who's hot and who's not? Good tips and bad rips....

Moderator: Ian

Sean's bus
Apprentice Bongonaut

Insurance for airlift and audio upgrade

Post by Sean's bus » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:19 pm

Hi everyone I'm new to this site this is my first post!
I have put air lift on the back of my bongo and upgraded the audio system and I'm now struggling to get insurance cover for the van?

I'm with admiral who won't insure it now and another company would accept the airlift but not insure the van due to the value of the audio! Any advice greatfully appreciated!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Insurance for airlift and audio upgrade

Post by g8dhe » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:15 pm

No problem with airlift with C&CC as we are converted, but I guess if your also putting in a pricey audio system, then they don't think the van is going to be used for its normal purposes, hence your an increased risk!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:33 pm

g8dhe wrote:No problem with airlift with C&CC as we are converted, but I guess if your also putting in a pricey audio system, then they don't think the van is going to be used for its normal purposes, hence your an increased risk!
C&CC didn't seem to care about any modifications we said - none of them changed the price of the premium. To be honest I struggled to find anything to change the price of the premium. It didn't matter how many miles we did a year, or how many years NCD we had - in fact they ended up not using it as it was from a car and the price was exactly the same as if they had used the 11 years NCD.

If it is relevant the price was £189 including commuting for me and my wife to drive.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:39 pm

Sean hasn't said whether his Bongo has a campervan conversion or not. C&CC will not insure you if you have an 8 seater.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:54 pm

I'm with C&CC with my V6 five seater Bongo Camper .. They would not insure my seven seater 'normal' Toyota Alphard ..

Had the Alphard for five months and only driven it off the road onto the drive (maybe 100 yards) .... I still use my Bongo ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Sean's bus
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Sean's bus » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:00 pm

Thanks for your replies

It's an 8 seater not converted! I didn't think it would be such an issue!

I'll keep ringing round and update if I find an insurer
Sean's bus
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Sean's bus » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:10 am

Had a quote from Adrian flux

For mods including air lift with compressor on rear, tow bar, alloys, reversing camera, £2500 ice, drop down DVD, with agreed value and European breakdown cover cost is £476 !

That's like for like if the ice gets stolen and the cheapest euro cover I could get elsewhere was rac at £219 so seems like a good deal !

Return to “Insurance”