Breakdown cover

Who's hot and who's not? Good tips and bad rips....

Moderator: Ian

sotal
Supreme Being

Breakdown cover

Post by sotal » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:45 am

I'm currently with Greenflag for breakdown cover. It is on our other car but it has the 'personal' option which means that it covers me and my wife in any car.

Just checked if the Bongo is covered under it. Good news and Bad news - It is covered but only for 20 days! In 20 days time it will turn 16 years old and then it will no longer be covered :(

How fussy are they with the age? Do they demand to see V5 etc? Or will they really be OK until the end of the year?

Any better options for next year. Renewal is in January. Would like something that would cover the Bongo at over 16 years old!
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Re: Breakdown cover

Post by Jim the Box » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:04 pm

AA and Rac should cover it no problem.
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:06 pm

And GEM.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:35 pm

Thanks - will check those out at renewal - any ideas if Greenflag will insist on seeing the V5? Or if it will just be at the end of the calendar year?

The Bongo will be 16 years old in Aug. But if they just go on the 1999 reg plate - they wouldn't know when it was registered in 1999 so would have to assume it was OK until the end of Dec (saying that it is a T plate were they only until Sept 99? Then was it V)

Don't really want to get an additional policy if the Greenflag will do the job.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:16 pm

Personally, I wouldn't risk it on the chance that it may or may not be considered 16 years old. If you breakdown in the middle of nowhere it'll be stressful enough without the risk that you find you are no longer covered. May be worth giving them a call to clarify the situation.

I'm with the AA and as the policy is with the driver not the vehicle, the age does not matter as long as its appropriately maintained and roadworthy. I did look to change at last renewal as their premiums creep up every year but I was able to haggle 25% reduction which brought it back down to the 'new customers only' price. Their cover includes accident management / recovery services which accounted for 2 of the 4 times I've needed to call them in the last 20+ years.
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:18 pm

Simon Jones wrote:Personally, I wouldn't risk it on the chance that it may or may not be considered 16 years old. If you breakdown in the middle of nowhere it'll be stressful enough without the risk that you find you are no longer covered. May be worth giving them a call to clarify the situation.

I'm with the AA and as the policy is with the driver not the vehicle, the age does not matter as long as its appropriately maintained and roadworthy. I did look to change at last renewal as their premiums creep up every year but I was able to haggle 25% reduction which brought it back down to the 'new customers only' price. Their cover includes accident management / recovery services which accounted for 2 of the 4 times I've needed to call them in the last 20+ years.
Can I ask - how much did this cost?
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:40 am

It's the one advantage the AA and rac seem to have over the likes of green flag is that it's the person that is covered not the vehicle. I was in my mates car recently when we had a puncture, the standard wheel brace would not crank the wheel nuts as they had been torqued too tight I called the AA out giving my name and card number and we were back on the road in 30 mins.
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
sotal
Supreme Being

Post by sotal » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:13 am

Jim the Box wrote:It's the one advantage the AA and rac seem to have over the likes of green flag is that it's the person that is covered not the vehicle. I was in my mates car recently when we had a puncture, the standard wheel brace would not crank the wheel nuts as they had been torqued too tight I called the AA out giving my name and card number and we were back on the road in 30 mins.
My cover with Greenflag is exactly the same. It covers me and the wife in any vehicle (just has the limitation of up to 16 years old)
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:36 am

Its strange how certain companies seem to stop breakdown cover when the vehicle reaches 16 years old. [-X
Ive just bought a 1959 F100 Ford pickup truck, classed as a classic, and the breakdown cover is included in the insurance policy for the all in price of £200 a year :shock: =D>
Lost without my Bongo.
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:20 am

The AA do vehicle based memberships as well as personal based ones, The vehicle based one are normally a bit cheaper & cover the car no matter who is driving, this can work out more cost effective if a family all share the one car for example. There is now no age limit for AA vehicle based cover.
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
smillingjimmyc
Bongonaut

Post by smillingjimmyc » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:09 pm

daveblueozzie wrote:Its strange how certain companies seem to stop breakdown cover when the vehicle reaches 16 years old. [-X
Ive just bought a 1959 F100 Ford pickup truck, classed as a classic, and the breakdown cover is included in the insurance policy for the all in price of £200 a year :shock: =D>
I've got insurance with carol nash classic car which includes breakdown cover with axa however i understand axa won't cover cars over 16 year old :shock: so I don't know what would happen If I called them out,I haven't bothered as of yet to ring the insurance company and ask as i'm with the rac.
98 4wd
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:24 pm

sotal wrote:
Simon Jones wrote:Personally, I wouldn't risk it on the chance that it may or may not be considered 16 years old. If you breakdown in the middle of nowhere it'll be stressful enough without the risk that you find you are no longer covered. May be worth giving them a call to clarify the situation.

Can I ask - how much did this cost?
About £150 for their Gold membership although you have to have been a member for 5 years to get it, but basically its roadside recovery & relay for myself & partner. There are other benefits such as money off at ATS, Moto service stations, lost key insurance etc. There are cheaper alternatives out there but I'm happy to stick with them as I've always had good service from them.

Return to “Insurance”