Breakdown Cover

Who's hot and who's not? Good tips and bad rips....

Moderator: Ian

joethornber
Junior Bongonaut

Breakdown Cover

Post by joethornber » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:16 pm

I'm sure this is a well trodden topic. But can anyone shed any light on the best breakdown cover for Bongos?

Thanks so much!
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Re: Breakdown Cover

Post by David Edwards » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:11 pm

Depends on what cover you want I have been with the RAC for 37 years and found them great but others have their own preference, check em all out and see who offers the best deal on what you want.I have blue badge cover so the whole family is covered
joethornber
Junior Bongonaut

Post by joethornber » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:49 pm

I was mainly worried about people not knowing how to deal with the mid engine etc. I have an opinion of the AA etc as being pretty useless when departing from standard cars.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:16 pm

To be honest, if the chap can't fix it, they will just take you home or to the nearest garage. A big company like AA is more likely to have Bongo technical data on their system than some of the smaller guys that just subcontract recovery out to local independent companies.

There's no harm in carrying a printed copy of some of the factsheets for coolant bleeding, fuses etc so you can show them to whoever is working on the vehicle. Personally I have AA cover for both of us which covers any vehicle and we've only needed to call them 4 times in about 20 years. One breakdown, one head gasket on a company car and two accidents that needed recovery.

If your van is over 16 years old and you want European breakdown cover then your choice is very limited as only a handful of insurers will cover 'old' vehicles.

Return to “Insurance”