Insurance for someone with under 2y driving license

Who's hot and who's not? Good tips and bad rips....

Moderator: Ian

Ignis
Bongonaut

Insurance for someone with under 2y driving license

Post by Ignis » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:02 am

Bought my bongo (converted but registered as mpv). Had an issue to insure it for some reasonable money so thinking if it helps if I register it as a motorhome with dvla?

My major problems as it seems are:
1. My driving license is going to be only 2years in June (i've had a Russian license for over 12 years, but unfortunately it doesn't count...)
2. I live in Central London (se1 postcode considered to be most expensive), no driveway, parking in a communal parking space.

Any ideas please?
scanner
Supreme Being

Re: Insurance for someone with under 2y driving license

Post by scanner » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:30 pm

Welcome to the forum - that is a tricky predicament.

Who have you tried for cover?
Are you a UK or EU national?

Your licence position and your location seem to have successfully managed to make the getting of insurance just about as difficult and expensive as possible.
Ignis
Bongonaut

Post by Ignis » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:13 pm

scanner wrote:Welcome to the forum - that is a tricky predicament.

Who have you tried for cover?
Are you a UK or EU national?

Your licence position and your location seem to have successfully managed to make the getting of insurance just about as difficult and expensive as possible.
Thanks for the encouragement, scanner.:-))

I tried on-line like gocompare and then called lifesure. They could not help. Eventually i added it to my multi-car with Admiral, but I am now actually selling my car as I have Bongo, so multi-car won't work anyway.

I am non-EU on a residence permit till 2017 here...
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:21 pm

Ignis wrote:Thanks for the encouragement, scanner.:-))
Sorry but when it comes to UK motor insurance there is no such thing as "encouragement"
Ignis wrote:I tried on-line like gocompare and then called lifesure. They could not help. Eventually i added it to my multi-car with Admiral, but I am now actually selling my car as I have Bongo, so multi-car won't work anyway.
As you are with Admiral already you may be able to carry on with them even if you sell the other car - they don't do only multi-car policies. If they say anything just say you will be replacing it later.
Ignis wrote:I am non-EU on a residence permit till 2017 here...
That immediately makes you "non-standard" and so immediately outside their "normal risk" parameters.

UK motor insurance is becoming ever more automated and if you don't fit straight into any of the boxes - "the computer says no!"
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:30 pm

Adrian Flux are worth a call.
Ignis
Bongonaut

Post by Ignis » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:01 pm

Well, they've never asked me about my immigration status, but I see what you mean in general. I am thinking more about any rules which would not allow me to drive a motorhome if my lisence is 2yo... Or whether they may oppose the Londond postcode for a motorhome.

Admiral just charges ridiculous ampunt of money for Bongo. It is ok for my other car but to pay £100 per month fir Bongo...:-(
Ignis
Bongonaut

Post by Ignis » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:02 pm

Thank you, Bob. I'll try them
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:28 pm

I would think your licence would cover you to drive a Bongo as its under 3.5 tonnes.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:24 pm

Ignis wrote:Well, they've never asked me about my immigration status, but I see what you mean in general. I am thinking more about any rules which would not allow me to drive a motorhome if my lisence is 2yo... Or whether they may oppose the Londond postcode for a motorhome.
You will (or should) have answered several questions about "Have you lived in the UK......, Have you held licence for..... etc..." and they will have based their response on those answers.

It is a computer program that is evaluating the answers and if the path traced by your answers doesn't lead to the right place the answer is - Not interested!

There are no "rules" about whether or not you can drive a motorhome but as you say yours is not registered as a "motorcaravan"* - if it were a different form of insurance policy would come into play. MPV insurance is much more expensive than Motorcaravan insurance.

So if it complies with the DVLA requirements to be classed as "Body Type = Motorcaravan" on the V5 registration document submit the evidence they ask for and get it re-classified.

*The official body type description used by the DVLA is Motorcaravan.
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:10 pm

Speak to the camping and caravan club (not the caravan club) and explain your predicament.They may want photos to show its a motorhome,but if you pass their criteria,they are cheap (£200-ish)

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Ignis
Bongonaut

Post by Ignis » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:13 am

Brian, thank you for the suggestion. They quoted £870... Well, that's my postcode which apparently on the scale from A to F is F*. My under 2yo driving licence doesn't help either. Whatever... I am a Bongoist now and my DIYed campercar Renault Kangoo is going to be off to a new owner this weekend (fingers crossed).

Return to “Insurance”