France - Breakdown Cover

Who's hot and who's not? Good tips and bad rips....

Moderator: Ian

theslingerland
Apprentice Bongonaut

France - Breakdown Cover

Post by theslingerland » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:52 pm

Hi all

We're travelling to France (2x Adults 2x Chrildren) for a couple of weeks (July 17th-30th) - camping all the way.

Can someone give some advice on companies to try and also what to check for? We're a little out of our league with this to be honest so would appreciate some advice and information!!

Many thanks - I'm a bit of a 'lurker' on the forum and the advice has always been amazing!
janie
Bongolier

Re: France - Breakdown Cover

Post by janie » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:00 pm

HI,
We'll be in France from the 20th July too :D . Our breakdown cover came as a packge with our insurance from C&CC with a top up fee of just £65. We used to be with RAC - they won't cover the vehicle though, you need to cover yourself with notches the price upwards putting it to about £120 as I remember. Where are you off to?
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:25 pm

Aa coverd me a couple of years ago
£150 ish I think for a few weeks
But that was a 20 odd year old land rover
Would of thought they would do a bongo
They have mine on a breakdown they repair it free policy upto 5 breakdowns per year up to £600 each breakdown
No cost to me
Covers battery's and exhausts as well
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
theslingerland
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by theslingerland » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:21 pm

Thanks for the info everyone - we're going to visit my dad near La Rochelle and then travel back up the west coast. Cannot wait...!!!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:25 pm

Welcome aboard. :D

I'm not sure you can insure against France breaking down, kind of an EU thing. :lol:

Spain will be next...
Klunk
Bongonaut

Post by Klunk » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:27 am

I have a place in France and over the years found breakdown cover a real pain. You really need to read the small print. Normally the breakdown assistance is not an issue, its the repatriation which,as we found out last year when the wife's 6 year old Renault threw a pistoncan leave you in a lot of bother. This rear I went with RAC. They had an offer on at the time and the full European cover includes all repatriation costs up to the value of the the vehicle, which I can assure you can add up to a pricey sum. My advice, get on it right now and dont leave it to the last minute, really do your homework and start with the big boys, RAC, AA etc. Might cost more but worth it for peace of mind.

and good luck [-o< :)
Bongo A person or animal that has deep rooted psychological or mental illness.
janie
Bongolier

Post by janie » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:16 am

Whoever you pick hope you don't need them and have a great time. We'll be in a similar area so if you spot a white AFT covered in blue and orange flowers that'll be us :D :D
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:20 am

Green Flag for us - but they only cover vehicles up to 16 years old. We are scheduled to return to blighty two days before the cut-off date :lol:
Wendy'n'Alan
Bongolier

Post by Wendy'n'Alan » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:40 am

We have European RAC cover tagged on to another insurance. I have checked with them, it does cover the Bongo (ie any age vehicle) See you at the tunnel
theslingerland
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by theslingerland » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:11 pm

Many thanks for the replies - have joined Camping and Caravan Club and got cover via RAC - many thanks and we'll keep our eyes open on the road for GB Bongos!
kentait
Bongonaut

Post by kentait » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:17 pm

try www.motorbreakdownrecovery.com provided by 2gether insurance. they cover any age. i have there economy policy which costs £23, but i've never had to use them. full uk and europe costs £75
dblake
Bongolier

Post by dblake » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:24 pm

Have just tried to buy their European breakdown cover for £75. Despite what the website says and the fact they were about to take my money they do not cover vehicles over 10 years old for European Breakdown. I thought to give then a call just before i hit the pay button!

So my search for cover continues - off to France on the 23rd!
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:09 pm

I've just used Aria Assistance (formerly Europ Assist) & it cost about £50 for 14 days cover. Not sure if there is a vehicle age restriction as mine is only 12 years old. RAC/AA/Green Flag quotes ranged from £70 to £180 for same cover and many of the companies I tried online didn't have Bongo listed.
dblake
Bongolier

Post by dblake » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:15 pm

Simon Jones wrote:I've just used Aria Assistance (formerly Europ Assist) & it cost about £50 for 14 days cover. Not sure if there is a vehicle age restriction as mine is only 12 years old. RAC/AA/Green Flag quotes ranged from £70 to £180 for same cover and many of the companies I tried online didn't have Bongo listed.
Thanks for the tip - unfortunately the small print says vehicle must be under 16 years old :(
Mcrdave
Bongonaut

Post by Mcrdave » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:05 pm

Can highly recommend ADAC for your trip to France. We broke down in mid France last year and they shipped our Bongo home and provided most of our travel costs. You need to translate the site into english as they're based in germany but it's the best I've found so worth the hassle

http://www.adac.de/

Return to “Insurance”