Diesel Bongo in Idaho (sometimes drops to -20˚F)

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

pm-bongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Diesel Bongo in Idaho (sometimes drops to -20˚F)

Post by pm-bongo » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:09 am

Hi there,

I am a brand new bongo owning baby. I live in the mountains where it gets cold and snowy from Nov till April. What should I do? What changes do I need to make to keep my bongo happy all winter? It is a 96 4WD diesel with a pop top.

Thanks so much!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Diesel Bongo in Idaho (sometimes drops to -20˚F)

Post by g8dhe » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:06 am

Do you have the Cold Start version ?
There is a variation in the build for cold climates (Northern Japan) where dual starter batteries, bigger starter motor and a exhaust recirculation valve to assist in heating the engine.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:27 pm

Wow, I'd say Bongos must be very rare there!

It might also be a good idea to check if it's undersealed - go underneath and ensure the metal isn't bare. I don't know if salt is used on the roads in Idaho, I guess it is, and if you're using it in winter then that'll eat the underbody. Go underneath and ensure it is coated with Waxoyl or some other sealer, and spray cavity wax into any nooks and crannies too.

Dunno how diesel is done in the US but it wouldn't be a bad idea to throw a bit of a decent additive into the tank every now and then. Over here in Ireland (I think) the oil companies add a different additive package in winter to stop it congealing.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:44 am

Hi
If the weather drops below minus 8 over here (we get as low as -30 occasionally), and the local garages haven't got good winter fuel, I add a diesel depressator such as Castrol TDA. https://autospot.bg/%D0%BF%D1%80%D0%BE% ... -tda-250ml
I don't go out if it drops to minus 20, as you can get cold pockets in the valleys.
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
pm-bongo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by pm-bongo » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:54 am

Thank you all for the advice! We ended up fitting a stick on oil pan heater to warm in up in the mornings for a couple of hours before starting. Seems to have worked pretty well. We also purchased the diesel winter additive to help out as well. So far so good!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:32 am

Useful info, thanks. 8)

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”