Struggling with hills at speed

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

notpoodle
Bongonaut

Struggling with hills at speed

Post by notpoodle » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:10 pm

After various replaced bits, Belinda is running much much better! But, she looks to struggle going fast uphill. Was on the A road with trailer this morning, struggled to keep her at 45/50 mph with the accelerator all the way down (tried jiggling it etc). I am guessing she simply could not go up a gear uphill? Fine on the flat, fine going up hill in town (including towing up steep-ish long hills). Taking her for a service in a few days in case it’s filters / spark plugs (and she is due a service). Any thoughts? She is a 2.5 tds.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
notpoodle
Bongonaut

Re: Struggling with hills at speed

Post by notpoodle » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:41 pm

Had service done as she was due a service, anyway. Fuel filter, air filter etc. done. Unfortunately, that did not solve the issue :( I still hit a 'forcefield' when accelerating uphill (even the slightest incline) or trying to overtake even the slowest of lorries. Accelerator all the way down, but nothing is happening. She's fine in town, going uphill pretty steady doing 30mph, but anything more ...

During the service they also found a leak in the exhaust manifold gasket thingamie, which will be fixed next week. Which has me thinking maybe it's an issue with the Turbo?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:15 pm

I'm no diesel expert but that does sound symptomatic of the turbo having a problem!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Allans
Bongolier

Post by Allans » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:26 pm

Hard to guess.
Your garage will be able to investigate turbo issues. Before then you can check around the turbo.
And check the small turbo pipe hasn't blown off.
It does happen sometimes..
It's by the diesel pump.
Servicing Bongos since 2003 in Plymouth, Devon http://www.allansvehicleservices.co.uk
notpoodle
Bongonaut

Post by notpoodle » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:09 am

Yep, she is going back next week. In the meantime, I had a look at the Turbo - looks like there is a bit of a leak where the bottom connects to whatever the big rubber hose is. Not enough to drip, but definitely oily! Maybe that is the issue.

I have also just checked our other Bongo (which has no acceleration issues, has the same engine etc) - no leak there! I think I may have found the issue!

Checked https://lushprojects.com/bongoparts/pag ... l).html#27 if I read correctly, the leak is at part 14293 / 14290 ? Does that sound about right?
Attachments
A6904D7E-EB54-4F47-8A8E-454ADC669A89.jpeg
11C1F7DB-4AEB-45BE-8C0D-3F0A19D3B941.jpeg
BongoBrighton236
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by BongoBrighton236 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:49 pm

I am investigating exact same issue on mine ,oil seems to be blowing back and covering the oil filter area .your post is very timely as i am planninh to dosmantke tomorrow.

Cheers
Jon
notpoodle
Bongonaut

Post by notpoodle » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:04 pm

the saga continues. Had a new exhaust manifold fitted, picked her up yesterday - the power issue is worse than it was before! Now I struggle getting up any kind of incline and Rev counter not going past '2'. Very frustrating, as I don't know if the garage have made it worse somehow or not etc.

(yay another Brighton Bongo!)
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:26 pm

Look on top of the fuel pump, there is a diaphragm, the small bore pipe goes into the top on an angle. Remove screws from top 4 I think!, Clean out the oil that will be in there stopping the diaphragm from operating. Check it's not split too. This increases fuel when needed. Clean out the pipe to the inlet manifold too it could be blocked.
GeorgeAnderson1965
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by GeorgeAnderson1965 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:39 am

It's really hard to tell, but maybe you could check these too:

- Check low cylinder compression. Maybe it doesn't get enough power because of it

- Maybe you have a faulty Camshaft position sensor. It's crucial for the ignition timing and fuel injection timing.

Other than that then I'm pretty much out of ideas.
notpoodle
Bongonaut

Post by notpoodle » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:36 am

Took it to BongoParts in the end - should have gone there first 😬 new fuel breather pipe and worm gear (?!). She runs now!! Huzzah!!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:48 pm

Sound. :)
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:14 pm

Glad you got that sorted out : )

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”