E10 Fuel

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

Ian
Supreme Being

Re: E10 Fuel

Post by Ian » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:06 am

E10 causes less emissions and is cheaper than E5. But the production of Ethanol is not environmentally friendly as it a derivative of maize, a crop grown on land that could have been used for other purposes. Indeed in Indonesia and other places it is grown on land cleared from rain forest and then shipped round the world for processing.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Harv
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Harv » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:00 pm

From a Classic Car mag. " Replace any SAE 'R6' rubber components with SAE 'R9' which is ethanol safe. "

If someone has access to an pre 2002 van, perhaps the fuel line will say which grade is used. I see the shop now supplies Ethanol Guard additive, maybe it'll be a possibility to get together a kit of safe parts to renew the petrol line?
Harvey the Pookah is no longer looked after by Richard
@tombell
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by @tombell » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:13 pm

Sorry I’m a novice to this site so forgive me if I posted this in the wrong place ! To add to the E10 fuel debate I have a 2005 2ltr petrol bongo that since using E10 fuel has been running as rough as a dog and was after some information. Basically, whilst driving/accelerating it seems to be fine but when I’m idling at a set of traffic lights or at very slow speed it struggles to idle then coughs and splutters when I pull away. Could these symptoms be associated with the use of E10 fuel ? Many thanks Cumbrianaught.
Harv
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Harv » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:49 pm

It's very unlikely to be related. Those aren't the symptoms that E10 induced problems would manifest, and so soon after it's introduction seems not. It's worth reading earlier in this thread and the articles referred to to get a better picture if you are interested given that your van should be unaffected given its age.
There are many better qualified mechanics on the forum than me, so I'll leave them to make suggestions as to possible causes of your rough running, but for their info, is it right that the problem manifested itself only after an E10 fill up?
Harvey the Pookah is no longer looked after by Richard
Cabbos
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Cabbos » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:57 pm

Hi all reading through these posts I am not sure if I'm going to make a huge mistake in buying a 1999 2.5 v6 bongo should I cancel and look for a different bongo? Any pre 2002 v6 owners out there could advise as to what you are doing. I know E5 petrol is ok but E10 is not unless an additive is added is that correct
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:45 pm

None of the V6 engines are designed for E10, however you will normally find that the MpG on a premium E5 fuel will offset the extra cost of the fuel, at least currently! Since I did an extensive trial of both standard and premium fuel a few years back I have generally stuck with the premium version.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Hvd
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Hvd » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:16 pm

E10 / LPG
I am considering converting my v6 to LPG.
Will this eliminate the E10 issue?

Also any advice on v6 LPG conversion and an experienced converter garage in the North Yorkshire area is much appreciated.
Thanks
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:40 pm

No! You always start on petrol until there is sufficient heat to vaporise the LPG into a gas, and then you may need to switch back to petrol if you run out of LPG, there seems to be two main problems with the increased % of ethanol the first is it can dissolve and or corrode elements of the fuel system directly if it remains in contact for long periods, which it will as your using less petrol. The second is that ethanol is hydroscopic so absorbs any moisture direct from the air this can lead to a jelly forming in the tank, but this process may take a while to appear but there are reports that this additional moisture can cause rusting ot the tank etc.

Not sure what the situation is in your area but along the South Coast the availability of LPG is reducing rapidly and I would have to go around 20-30 miles to find a refilling point! On holiday or touring you would be planning your trip around filling places rather than locations you want to visit!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”