2.5D MOT Emissions curiosity - my results for 3 years

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

2.5D MOT Emissions curiosity - my results for 3 years

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:29 am

Certainly no expert on this but thought it was interesting. For my last MOT's I have the following figures and it would be interesting to compare to others if they have it.

I guess Old Bongo's have a different test than new diesels. This year I had a double dose of Millers in the tank.
I cannot recall precisely what I had the other years but there would definitely be at least 1 dose of Millers in the tank
for each test.

"Smoke opacity instruments measure optical properties of diesel smoke, providing an indirect way of measuring of diesel particulate emissions. There are two groups of instruments: opacity meters, which evaluate smoke in the exhaust gas, and smoke number meters, which optically evaluate soot collected on paper filters. Correlations have been developed to estimate PM mass emissions based on opacity measurement. Second generation opacity meters based on laser light scattering are much more sensitive and appear to hold promise for application to newer engines with much lower particulate emissions. "

---------------------------------

Smoke Opacity Limit = 1.5

2017 : Engine Temp 68C Opacity Value - Acceleration 1 - 0.22 mean value 0.22
2018 : Engine Temp 68C Opacity Value - Acceleration 1 - 0.46 mean value 0.45
2019 (Yesterday) : 72C Opacity Value - Acceleration 1 - 0.35 mean value 0.34

That is coming in nice and low below limit of 1.5

Interested in any figures people may have.
fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Re: 2.5D MOT Emissions curiosity - my results for 3 years

Post by fatcatlawyer » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:01 pm

Don't know what the figures mean but mine for a Bongo with 327k on the clock are
zero drift actual 0.02
Mean value max 3.00 actual 2.70 pass

Ian G
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:29 pm

Thanks, as I gather it is a way that measure smoke particles... although it seems some are so small they never register on the tester.
Seems to use a light beam to check the amount of smoke.

Weird how it says limit 1.5 and you passed with a value of 3.0

As I say I don't really understand it in full just try to make a common sense guess from the figures presented. About 172,000 kms on ours
and we had a new head a few years back so it should be running fairly sweet I guess. I guess high miles there will always be
some wear and oil burn, it is inevitable and testament to the endurance capability of a diesel engine when oiled an watered regularly.

I am working on the basis of lower number is less smoke. The Millers ECOMAX additive I use says it has the ability to drastically
reduce pollution and to the eye ours is smokeless, even on when revved. I suspect it is doing its job well. Also have some Archoil
that I am keen to try when the Millers runs out, most likely similar products. I rarely do but when I give it welly it out accelerates
our old 2 Litre auto petrol car of similar age !

I am somewhat of a preservation nut. I want to try and look after the Bongo as best as I can, I drive it in a way that minimizes wear, I cannot really afford much luxury in life so try and do whatever I can do make things last. :)
St3f4n
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by St3f4n » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:41 pm

Pre 2008 limit is 3.0 for a turbo diesel

Unless yours has got a plate limit its been tested in the wrong class
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:14 am

Thanks Stefan, now that is worth knowing about ! In the event the readings ever go upwards, just as well
it is nice and low, I reckon that being the overall health of the engine/combustion and the additives. 8)

I have no idea what a plate limit is.

I would be curious to know what readings the newer Euro6 (I think?) diesels give to see if they are stitching us up
with these emissions charges etc. cause my engine seems to prove how low emissions on a Bongo can be.

If you actually do something about it you may be able to keep it lower than it need be. We all know
well running engines pollute less.

Although for Euro 6 it also relates to reduced NOx emissions.

Anyway it confirms what my experiences with Millers, it is good stuff on multiple fronts, emissions, power and
fuel system/combustion health.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:33 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:14 am Thanks Stefan, now that is worth knowing about ! In the event the readings ever go upwards, just as well
it is nice and low, I reckon that being the overall health of the engine/combustion and the additives. 8)

I have no idea what a plate limit is.

I would be curious to know what readings the newer Euro6 (I think?) diesels give to see if they are stitching us up
with these emissions charges etc. cause my engine seems to prove how low emissions on a Bongo can be.

If you actually do something about it you may be able to keep it lower than it need be. We all know
well running engines pollute less.

Although for Euro 6 it also relates to reduced NOx emissions.

Anyway it confirms what my experiences with Millers, it is good stuff on multiple fronts, emissions, power and
fuel system/combustion health.
This is a Euro6 1.6HDI done 35000 miles

MOT SMOKE TEST
Smoke Reading
Peak 1 = 0.00 m-1

Zero Drift = 0.00 m-1 PASS 0.10 Max

Average = 0.00 m-1

MOT Test Result

Fast Pass =0.00 m-1 PASS 1.50 Max

And the manufacturer strictly states NO ADDITIVES , This vehicle can return 70 MPG.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:38 pm

St3f4n wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:41 pm Pre 2008 limit is 3.0 for a turbo diesel

Unless yours has got a plate limit its been tested in the wrong class

Aye for 3 years #-o
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:04 pm

That's fair enough Teenmal if the manufacture mentions it it would be foolish to add anything.
The readings for the Bongo are good for a 24 year old vehicle with 2.5D (2.2tonnes) with no DPF/AdBlue or
modern computers/injection.
St3f4n
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by St3f4n » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:48 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:14 am

Majority of Euro 6s I test or prep struggle to even register a reading on the tester, other than that it’s generally 0
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:54 pm

It is a good and bad thing to have low particulants. Good for us on the ground especially in towns and cities as we don't inhale them or as
much N0x. Only problem is I have read global warming may possibly accelerate as it is particulants in the upper atmosphere
that are in part responsible for reflecting some of the suns heat and stopping it getting to earthand heating/melting polar caps.

As such if global we clean the air we can expect acceleration of heating from less reflection in the upper atmos. I am no
climate change expert (far from it) but it is neither simple or necessary logical and pollution on streets and climate change are part of the same thing
yet have conflicting effects on climate change when it comes to cleaning the air.

That is pretty cool that they don't even register though. Just goes to show the progress made in 20 years in diesel tech.

Next up this weekend oil change, it all helps keep it running sweet.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:34 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:54 pm It is a good and bad thing to have low particulants. Good for us on the ground especially in towns and cities as we don't inhale them or as
much N0x. Only problem is I have read global warming may possibly accelerate as it is particulants in the upper atmosphere
that are in part responsible for reflecting some of the suns heat and stopping it getting to earthand heating/melting polar caps.

As such if global we clean the air we can expect acceleration of heating from less reflection in the upper atmos. I am no
climate change expert (far from it) but it is neither simple or necessary logical and pollution on streets and climate change are part of the same thing
yet have conflicting effects on climate change when it comes to cleaning the air.

That is pretty cool that they don't even register though. Just goes to show the progress made in 20 years in diesel tech.

Next up this weekend oil change, it all helps keep it running sweet.

And most if not all car manufacturers Do Not recommend the use of any additive in the fuel or otherwise , unless its Adblue.

I wonder why?

Take care.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:55 am

Yes I wonder why as well ?

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”