Why is LPG not a mass fuel solution ?

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Why is LPG not a mass fuel solution ?

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:20 pm

I was wondering why LPG did not gain more traction in fueling vehicles ? From what I understand electric is far off yet for masses
due to many reasons. Huge vehicle cost, charge station infrastructure, low mileage/low charge capacity, domestic charging needs uprated transformers / road copper wiring.

And unless the whole lot is run off wind/solar it is not actually green. Especially the making of the cars themselves.

I am very surprised given the relatively low emissions of gas and the lower cost of LPG at the pump (and conversion of cars compared with buying new), that it was not the practical short term solution, e.g. next 10 years interim whilst electric tools up.

I imagine the cost for an LPG conversion would be similar to having all the new DPF filtering on diesels to make them compliant.

And my guess why it never gained traction is because LPG does not help keep the new car industry in profit.
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Why is LPG not a mass fuel solution ?

Post by Bob » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:42 am

Plus the government gets 20% VAT on new cars and the industry jobs are rather a Sacred Cow...
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:12 am

If the fullycharged shows on youtube are to be believed, electric cars are not far off at all. Within 5 years they will outstrip ICE engines in sales. Within 10 years an ICE engine car will seem like an oddity. By 2040, the government wishes them all gone. If they are to be believed.....

I still have, somewhere, my correspondance with Sir Clive Sinclair c1984 with my thoughts on electric cars. But I've ended up being a diesel Bongo owner for 12+ years. Maybe i'm holding out for the next great adventure...... :wink: :lol:

P.S. Oh and there's this:

https://mobile.worldmaritimenews.com/ar ... l-by-2050/
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:44 pm

Thanks for the replies, yes it makes sense, no money in it. I don't know how you make a container vessel carbon neutral ? The article is not giving
away many clues.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:02 pm

BongoBongo123 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:44 pm Thanks for the replies, yes it makes sense, no money in it. I don't know how you make a container vessel carbon neutral ? The article is not giving
away many clues.
Another thing I took an interest in in the early 80s was wind assistance for oceangoing vessels (google Walker Wingsails, also Flettner Funnels). This could be part of the solution i suppose :roll:

P.S. Well well, google and ye shall find. Seems the wingsail idea is now looking at oceangoing vessel opportunities:

https://safety4sea.com/new-wing-sail-te ... -launched/

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”