Mazda Bongo 2L Petrol auto W Reg

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

Spud Murphy 1112
Apprentice Bongonaut

Mazda Bongo 2L Petrol auto W Reg

Post by Spud Murphy 1112 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:02 am

Bought my bongo 3 years ago I had a Thatcham cat 1 alarm and immobiliser fitted and have had no problems. Yesterday in rain headlights and wipers on accelerated away from lights and the vehicle died on me and would not start. Engine turns over but would not start RAC attended and I was towed home. I have had a mechanic look at it today and he tells me there is no spark or fuel getting to the engine. He checked there was fuel in gauge showing just under half a tank. Vehicle had been running fine. (I am not a mechanic) Any ideas I can suggest to next person I have to have a look at it greatly appreciated) I charged the battery overnight and tried again. The engine turns over but will not start.
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Mazda Bongo 2L Petrol auto W Reg

Post by Bob » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:25 am

Hi, and welcome to BF.

Since you suddenly lost spark and fuel to the engine I'd be looking at the immobiliser first.

Good luck.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:43 am

Given that its a petrol model and it failed during heavy rain with no spark I would suggest looking at the distributor, being at the front it gets any road spray coming up at it and if it is worn or the sealing ring has failed those are the symptoms that would be expected! Amazed that the RAC didn't check that ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:19 pm

Hi
I am not certain but you might want to check this with others, but you mentioned you were towed, I believe I read somewhere that Bongos should not be towed as it damages the gear box. Not wishing to alarm you and hopefully I am wrong as I would have thought the RAC know this. But if not I would think you need to take this up with the RAC.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:53 pm

The 4 wheel drive must not have a 'suspended tow', and the auto box must not be towed above 18 mph. :wink:

Some will say an auto box should not be towed at all, but it is vehicle specific and info is in the handbook.
Bonneville
Bongolier

Post by Bonneville » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:28 am

No fuel or spark but turns over? When cranking, does your hold light flash? If so, check the fuse to the ECU. This is exactly the behaviour if you cut the ECU feed.

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”