Russian oil tests (on many brands of oil)

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Russian oil tests (on many brands of oil)

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:10 pm

Nice video, a few surprises on well known brands in this particular test. Found this video. I plan more frequent changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_8STojyTHA

I am sure they vary a bit depending on whatever different tests are performed but it is interesting.

I get a gut feeling in a diesel particulate loading in the oil is a limiting factor. I think regular cheaper oil
changes would be as good if not better than some expensive oils. Obviously very difficult to know with any certainty.
Bonneville
Bongolier

Re: Russian oil tests (on many brands of oil)

Post by Bonneville » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:38 am

Interesting test and results. Can't beat a frequent oil change as any Jap bike fiend will confirm. Does anyone know what the service intervals are on Bongos? There's a schedule in my paperwork but in Japanese. My oil was changed at 12K intervals and the damage was shocking. Here's another test for fans of shell Helix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLXnYoLfXRY
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:27 am

The diesel Bongo needs an oil change at 3000 miles/6 months and full service at 6000 miles/12 months, whichever is sooner.

Petrol (I'm pretty sure) doesn't require the intermediate oil change, that's for the benefit of the turbo. 8)
Bonneville
Bongolier

Post by Bonneville » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:52 am

Thanks, Bob. All I can read is 10,000km so makes sense (it's a petrol). Would be interested if anyone has decoded the whole sheet as there is much info on there. Rotor arm, cap etc...
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:28 pm

The translated Bongo manual gives the oil change as 15000km (circa 9300miles) or every year for the FE.

I did my first oil/filter change since ownership (last serviced) at roughly 4000miles with 10w/40 semi from ECP's. Will do a change every 4-5K miles from now on, given the cost is pretty minimal and I want longevity.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:07 pm

I did similar on my 2.0ltr - although the oil was said to have been changed when I purchased the Bongo it was quite black after 4000 miles. I'll be interested to see what it's like at the next 4k change. :wink:
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.
Bonneville
Bongolier

Post by Bonneville » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:00 am

Will do a change every 4-5K miles from now on
Same here. The oil and filter costs £20 and takes 15mins to change with 10 of those for draining it (1 cup of tea) so can't see the point in leaving it in there for 10K.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:22 pm

What with going for a ride first to warm it up, getting my bowl/socket/plastic ground sheet/latex gloves on/draining it properly, transferring oil to old cans, cleaning up, it takes 40mins minimum usually. I do agree it is an easy job as everything is easily accessible on the Bongo.

I am done with Castrol Magnatec now. It fairs no better than some of the cheapest oil on the market
which is to the same specifications. Cheaper oil more frequent changes is my new approach.

In the diesel I am reasonably sure that circa 3K miles I can start to feel it, possibly as a slight sense of less power I have come to believe it is 3K miles for a reason. And I think that reason is carbon particulate matter loading the oil. i.e. soot in the oil destroys the oils capacity to lubricate properly
it matters not if it is £15.00 oil or £27.00 oil.. it still loads up the same with soot, a fact you cannot get away from with a diesel.

One thing is for sure, on one test I saw after 10,000kms the oil has very much started to lose its properties.

Look on this oil that has done 10,000 kms has 0.33 near the bottom.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Aging oil is bad oil !

This guy has a lot of videos for anyone interested various tests:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLQb2U ... Tzaz4Ua1IA

This is the basic methodology of his tests, boils oil to 100C poors it in, runs his wheel and then measures wear after 2mins run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7nLoCln9D4

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”