Regular & Premium Petrol comparison

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Regular & Premium Petrol comparison

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:22 am

i work in the fuel industry and can tell you that the v power type fuels from shell, bp, etc are a different recipe/tank and delivery pipe to standard fuel, and these are different to the standard fuel with a standard additive added. there is also a difference in british (MADE) fuels and imported fuels. then if that isnt enough then you have the bio/ethanol/fame content to think about.

in the past i have bought a 3 year old toyota and a 4 year old skoda yeti both had knackered engines, one with a burnt through piston the other with a carboned up engine and throttle body, both were very expensive to repair. both were fuel issue caused, but i knew before i bought them so i paid the right money for them. dont underestimate the influence poor fuel has on your engine.

i look at fuel like whiskey, if you can afford to run the best you know it makes sense up to a point, its all whiskey, but whats in its makeup or where it comes from makes it ok or great.

http://www.ukpia.com/industry_issues/fu ... fuels.aspx
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:52 pm

With the prices at the moment, standard is perfectly expensive enough for my needs. :roll: Millers makes a good difference to me in smoothness of driving experience and it is LOTS less expensive than so called premium fuels. Seems like whatever is in so called "premium" fuels is not improving MPG, despite the claims made at the pumps. A well known UK fuel chain is saying up to 21 mpg extra per tank (which I saw today), that does not seem to be a reality according to this comparison.

Maybe some scientific or even multiple anecdotal comparisons would provide better food for thought than an alcoholic beverage analogy.

To my mind based on this thread and my economical use of Millers, premium fuel appears to be extra money for old rope.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:45 am

Using Millers (together with tweaking the TPS to sort the gear change) on my 2.0 I am now easily above 30mpg on a run, I am pleasantly happy with fuel consumption for an old (relatively bomb proof mechanically) heavy vehicle.
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:46 am

That is very good going I would say. Still on the Millers here as well, cannot see myself not using it.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:49 pm

I do drive very carefully and slowly, very minimal pressure on the accelerator, and cruise at 55-60mph. Also mastering the art of coming off the power to coast up to roundabouts and junctions amazing how the auto box allows the momentum to continue. Also using HOLD more for holding gears in the twisties.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:40 pm

Yes that defo helps (the coasting and judging the road ahead, they do feel like they have good momentum once going) driving straight (which sounds odd!) also helps as you are not weaving about the lane causing tyre friction/drag.

In addition this is the best for the Bongo all round, less wear and tear at sensible speeds. :) They are not made as sports vehicles afterall, smooth comfortable steady driving is where they shine.
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Tue May 15, 2018 7:32 pm

Another brim and 'empty' test and getting 30.5mpg average with A and B road driving for the day out to the coast, local forest etc. Wonder if 35mpg+ on the Autoroute in July is possible?
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sat May 19, 2018 2:20 pm

I seem to get 35 mpg regularly. I was actually getting 40mpg at the best to date. I think though that has dropped a bit the last year or so more like 35-36mpg average. Might be extra weight lugged. I can do a test as I just brimmed it today (after I saw oil barrel jumped close to $80.00 this week)

http://markets.businessinsider.com/comm ... e?type=wti

And on our next 400mile+ run I will do a few calcs at the pump when I fill up when we are close to destination.

Much depends on being stuck in traffic or not and air con use and I have to assume the trip meter is working ok. I will note down odometer and trip meter numbers to see if they tally up. Work out how many litres I burn etc.

50-55mph is the one for pure economy. But on a very long journey I push it to 60mph (if dry) otherwise even for me it seems to take an age to get there. I have not tested fuel economy this way for a good while.

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”