Petrol Stabilising additives

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

Katka
Bongolier

Petrol Stabilising additives

Post by Katka » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:40 am

I've heard that petrol deteriorates over time somehow. Our van is LPG converted so it uses hardly any petrol, just a few minutes at startup. The fuel gauge is at 1/2 and shows no sign of moving, so the petrol in the tank is months if not a year old and getting older. We'll soon be packing the 'van a way for winter too. I've come across 'petrol stabiliser' additives which claims to maintain the petrol condition for upto 3 years. Being a little skeptical of additive claims I wonder if anyone has experience of the stuff or of 'old' petrol?
Thanks
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Petrol Stabilising additives

Post by Bob » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:31 am

I've not used these stabilisers so can't answer that I'm afraid.

You could use the petrol in the tank up, but don't run it right out, then add a gallon or two of Aspen 4 to leave over the winter, or perhaps put in some ethanol free petrol such as the Esso expensive stuff.

Ethanol attracts water which is obviously not good, and leaving the tank full will discourage condesation.
Katka
Bongolier

Post by Katka » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:01 pm

I'd not heard of Aspen 4 before and it seemed good - until I saw the price. wow it must be really good stuff!!

Not sure if it's possible, but I shall try to syphon the tank and use the old stuff in my mower and put a few gallons of the ethanol-free petrol and some additive. It can't do harm even if no good.
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:23 pm

Petrol has a shelf life of 4 - 6 weeks.
If left in a vehicle it can gum things up - especially carburettors (remember them)
I'm not sure about additives but I'd have thought that if you do add something, then it would be wise to run the engine to pull the additive through the injectors etc
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:52 pm

If it smells like petrol it should be ok. if it smells like Varnish its Knackered and will clog the filters and injectors etc etc.
Markas
Bongolier

Post by Markas » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:14 pm

Tony x wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:23 pm Petrol has a shelf life of 4 - 6 weeks.
If left in a vehicle it can gum things up - especially carburettors (remember them)
I'm not sure about additives but I'd have thought that if you do add something, then it would be wise to run the engine to pull the additive through the injectors etc
I wouldn't panic too much. As a previous poster has said, if it smells like petrol it'll work and if it smells like varnish, it won't. Both my carb-fuelled Triumph Dolomites sit around most of the winter with about 1/2 tanks full of fuel without any ill effects to the fuel system come the spring. I usually use the Tesco, BP or Shell high octane stuff in the Dollys.
The only problems occur when the MOT tester has to de-tune one of them to drag it through the emissions. Still that one might well be MOT exempt from next year :?
Mark
1999 Bongo 2.0L, Northstar Outback rear conversion

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”