London Emissions Surcharge announcment

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

g8dhe
Supreme Being

London Emissions Surcharge announcment

Post by g8dhe » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:39 pm

Just seen that a new T-Charge is being introduced from October this year for London;
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... sadiq-khan
You can check if you fall foul of this here;
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/emissi ... ge-checker

Just checked my V6 and its OK so no charges.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: London Emissions Surcharge announcment

Post by Bob » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:06 pm

Thanks Geoff.

I'm rather coming to the view that if they don't want me there I ani't going. :roll:

Lots of options like walking/cycling/bus suggested, or...

...Spend my dosh somewhere else. 8)
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:15 pm

g8dhe wrote:Just seen that a new T-Charge is being introduced from October this year for London;
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... sadiq-khan
You can check if you fall foul of this here;
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/emissi ... ge-checker

Just checked my V6 and its OK so no charges.
What year is yoirs then Geoff?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:24 pm

97 V6, AFT, full side conversion .......
#-o
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:10 pm

I put in Car made before 2001 and have to pay surcharge. Have i done something wrong?

Personally i think london can go screw itself :lol:
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:28 pm

I'm starting to think that about a country just across the Chanel, too. :evil:
freshgoat
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by freshgoat » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:46 pm

I spend most of my working life driving in and out of London. Personally I wouldn't want to soil our Betsy by taking her there :D
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:49 pm

Welcome aboard, and good for you and Betsy. =D>
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:04 am

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... vironment/
http://www.cph.dk/contentassets/04a9b35 ... rports.pdf
https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/enviro ... sion-zone/
Should be a good revenue raiser given the 10 pounds ULEZ charge from aircraft using Heathrow not to mention the new runway when it comes on stream.
Well maybe not as the clean air report shows only 2% coming from aircraft if my memory serves me correctly and then there is the "new" Routemasters that TFL have decided not to retrofit to meet the standard.
Have to continue this later as its getting crowded in here what with all the Elephants.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:17 pm

Clearly there is a pollution problem in London. I moved out nearly a decade ago and don't miss the City or the pollution or anything else really. Charging people £10.00 is kind of understandable, completely unpalatable but also not very inventive. Hardly a light bulb idea is it ? And will simply hit businesses who will lose trade and foot fall from visitors, everyone loses, except the government of course.

I am not sure what the solution is though, making buses very low emissions would be a first step in not appearing like total hypocrites. I wonder how much of this is bad servicing related? I cannot imagine our Bongo producing lower particulants without that new diesel tech being installed.

The amount of 7-10 y.o. diesel cars/vans I see literally hosing black soot and smoke everywhere should be taken aside and fined £200.00 per instance of being caught on camera, that would be a good start. I wonder if proper servicing would help, filters/de-coking/oil/additives etc.

Maybe the government should be cough up an emergency £20,000,000 that could pay for busses to have new low emissions engines and fueling infrastructure (Gas like Scandinavia) would be a start as they said diesel was lower C02 which it is but without looking into it deep enough to see the consequences of nitrogen dioxide. I appreciate it was labour but if they really care about health collective responsibility should apply.

The all round lying Johnson kept diesel when he could have chosen alternatives, what incompetent, self serving wastes of space we have lying to us daily. This stuff is not even difficult for a professional who is competent and conscientious about their job. And instead we get self serving motor mouths in government who care about the public as much as what they just flushed down the loo.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:08 am

Hi
Possibly the majority of drivers are unaware that if you burn something, you get pollution...and the world is over-populated and polluted....well....there's a revelation!!!!
Car engines are old technology, in fact the word technology hardly applies to a car engine...it's just an old idea, constantly tweaked to make it attractive to purchase, and use less of a dwindling fuel source.
Ideally, ALL cars should be scrapped, and transport re-developed...there is REAL technology out there to ensure transport, but we've sold our souls to the devil...or at least to the Middle East, in exchange for a supply of syrupy black liquid that mankind worships. Time to stop, and ensure a future for the planet...but it'll never happen as long as the gullible masses are conned into buying yet another polluting wheeled object of worship..
I'd vote to make every town a charged pollution zone....
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:15 am

Phew, strong stuff there from Helen. Now, here's a question. Are the Bongos of Great Britain, and the mileage they do, producing a net gain or loss in damage to people and the environment, compared with the cost of that number of people instead jetting abroad for holidays and their need to get around when they are out there. I don't know the answer, but its an interesting one. Public transport for cities, internal combustion for remote locations is i think a fair model. A bit like looking at which properties are off grid and need to have oil or lpg cooking and heating etc.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:40 am

From what I have heard the main C02 emission from a vehicle is making it in the first place ! All that plastic and 6-7 metals and computer electronics/rare earth metals did not just come out the ground as is. All these unseen processes use big electricity, coal gas and oil.

Makes me laugh you see people charging their Tesla's from time to time.. what about a normal person who has not got £75,000 to spend on a car. The C02 footprint from making a Tesla must be huge.

I think it is rather difficult to blame the masses for purchasing the internal combustion engine over and above an electric vehicle (which could just be shifting where the C02 is emitted although the Ecotricity charging stations you see are wind powered here) when it is right now the only truly viable option. Not everyone is a non thinking automaton.

I suspect like myself many do not ever purchase new vehicles (an anti investment and I cannot afford one anyway) and used electric vehicles are few and far between, will have potentially costly battery concerns and new ones are extremely expensive.

Why was congestion charge money not used for gas bus infrastructure as a common sense, eat your own medicine approach to show change is happening at government level ?

We should all minimize pollution, that is the right thing to do. It is not difficult to do so and it will also save you money, it is common sense, we all inhale the same air and eat the same food, ignoring pollution does not stop it. We have a responsibility for our actions and the consequences on others so minimizing pollution is at the least showing respect to others, and frankly we could do with a bit more of that. But currently charging is fair and squarely hypocritical.

As far as I understand Mike air travel is one of the worst forms of pollution.
Last edited by BongoBongo123 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bongolia
Supreme Being

Post by Bongolia » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:50 am

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Possibly the majority of drivers are unaware that if you burn something, you get pollution...and the world is over-populated and polluted....well....there's a revelation!!!!
Car engines are old technology, in fact the word technology hardly applies to a car engine...it's just an old idea, constantly tweaked to make it attractive to purchase, and use less of a dwindling fuel source.
Ideally, ALL cars should be scrapped, and transport re-developed...there is REAL technology out there to ensure transport, but we've sold our souls to the devil...or at least to the Middle East, in exchange for a supply of syrupy black liquid that mankind worships. Time to stop, and ensure a future for the planet...but it'll never happen as long as the gullible masses are conned into buying yet another polluting wheeled object of worship..
I'd vote to make every town a charged pollution zone....
Cheers
Helen
Phew! :shock:
I agree, especially the "ALL cars" bit.
That would leave more parking spaces for our Bongos. :P
I am curious about the REAL tech bit would we need better drainage. :?:
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:31 am

Hi
Whenever presented with the argument of pollution, sorry, but there's always someone saying that re-cycling what we have manufactured already, and keeping it running longer is less polluting than manufacturing new....Breathe on, brothers and sisters, they still fork out muck into the air. Yes....I'd ban foreign travel by 'plane, and only allow specially sanctioned flights where necessary in the extreme. I'd stop long-distance deliveries by trucks, and stick to train transport, develop small communities with manufacturing capacity for the needs of others, so we can foster trade between other communities. Public transport between communities might be available by appointment. I'd introduce rationing, so that we can no longer expect to gorge huge amounts of yet another dwindling resource....FOOD...I'd ban so many things, you wouldn't want to live in my world...I'd ban organised religion, but not personal belief, and you know what?....you'd eventually be happy, and no depression....especially when I censor what little TV i'd allow
Oh, I've just started....but, brothers and sisters, the world is sick, and we need to take a bitter pill if we want our children's children to have a life to live....and I'd introduce the need for a licence to breed!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”