Romano LPG losing settings

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

Our Bonnie
Apprentice Bongonaut

Romano LPG losing settings

Post by Our Bonnie » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:56 pm

Hello, have been enjoying our Bongo since October last year, and revelling in the ease, the ride, so really happy. Had it converted to a Romano LPG when we purchased her, and runs beautifully, returns about 17-18mpg, and now LPG is half the price of petrol. Excellent!
However, it has lost its settings a few times, which means......same great smooth power, but now down to 14mpg and a stuttering when at constant speed, 60-65mph and 2500-2700 rpm. No issues around town, or on hilly, twisty Devon A roads.
A remap (is that the right term?) cures it. The fault seems to occur if we haven't been out for 4-5 days. I'm suspecting a faulty ECU, and hoping OZON at Plymouth will set us right, but has anyone heard of this issue? Dist. cap, H.T. leads, etc all the usual culprits have been replaced.

many thanks

Kevin

p.s. 2000 V6 petrol auto, Romano LPG
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Re: Romano LPG losing settings

Post by mikeWalsall » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:36 am

May be a bad connection .. faulty ECU ............ let the LPG converter sort it..

I have the Romano system both on my V6 Bongo ... and my V6 Alphard ..

Very occasionally the EML (Engine Management Light) would come on in the Alphard ..

Reading Lexus Forums for similar problems I initially thought it would be one of the Lambda sensors .. either the A/F (Air / Fuel) in the exhausts .. or the 02 after the cat ..

Out of curiosity I priced up the three sensors ..just in case .. and out of interest I removed the easiest an (exhaust) one to look .. it was looked brand new .. like it was just out of the box ..

So I went back to the LPG installer and asked him to hook it up to his OBD2 diagnostic machine .. to find three thousand+ pound computer would not read the codes ..

So he got an ancient reader out .. and after twenty minutes it finally found the settings ... weak LPG to air ratio ..

Quick tweak on his lap top .. it's been fine since ..

Moral .. go to the people who know ... not to people who think they do ...!!
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”