Smell of fuel/fumes when getting into Bongo

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

tatman303
Apprentice Bongonaut

Smell of fuel/fumes when getting into Bongo

Post by tatman303 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:45 pm

We've got a smell of fuel/fumes (could be diesel or oil)in the cab when we first open it up - the smell goes away after very quickly, especially when driving, but am worried about us sleeping in the van - the smell isn't strong, but definitely there. Had a couple of seals changed, and the smell went a little but sadly our mechanic can't smell - any ideas as to what it might be and if this is dangerous.
Have put a plate under to catch any fluid - there appears to be a slight oil leak, but only slight. The smell is only noticeable when you open the door and get in - the big worry is what it would be like after a night's camping. I don't think it is a big leak -hence making it harder to check.
Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Smell of fuel/fumes when getting into Bongo

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:15 pm

i presume you have the diesel as you mention diesel smell but what year is it.

early ones can get fuel pump seals leaking, are the rubbers under the seat bases in place. or it could be this.

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... ud#p418217
tatman303
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by tatman303 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:49 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply, yes it is a diesel and is a 1995 model. Think we had a couple of seals replaced, so will chck with the garage and investigate the rest. The smell isn't as bad as it was, as some work was done on it, so possibly the unreplaced seals.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:19 pm

The tray under the engine tends to catch most small leaks. Run your hand along the underside of the fuel injection pump (FIP). If in doubt clean it with a rag, then with the engine idling check again and after a run.

The FIP is under the driver's seat towards the front of the engine. It has several little metal pipes coming out of the rear facing end.
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
Imarcus
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Imarcus » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:58 am

I'm a new Bongo owner (me not the Bongo) and I live in mine through the week so its been a baptism of fire. I too noticed engine smells, particularly in the cab, but more oil than diesel. I have subsequently remedied the problem. I looked around the engine compartment covers and found quite a lot of bolts missing and particularly the massive rubber grommet which holds the cables for the auto selector, forward of the gear selector. Since replacing and refitting the problem has gone away. Just need to get the spare wheel free now!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:44 pm

With the spare wheel try it gently the 'Wrong' way.

The winding gear is a simple cable on drum and could have been turned either way to raise it.

And welcome to BF. 8)

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”