Buying a Bongo!!!

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

klmx
Bongonaut

Buying a Bongo!!!

Post by klmx » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:55 pm

We are finally buying our second Bongo!!! YAY We sold our previous one when are two sons were tiny and now that they are 7 and 5 and we finally have a little more money. We have seen three at a dealers (Topsham Car Sales)- all in excellent condition, fairly low mileage. We just need to work out whether to buy the petrol V6 or one of two diesels. If we get a petrol we may do an MPV conversion. Any advice will be appreciated. Last time we bought from a rubbish garage and the dreaded rust overtook within a month and the engine died within a year.

What do people prefer the petrol or diesel?
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: Buying a Bongo!!!

Post by helen&tony » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:03 pm

Hi
The answer is simple...go for the one with the best bodywork, as there's not a lot to choose between with the engines...If you intend to tow a trailer or small caravan, then go for a diesel, otherwise they're all good...the 2-litre is very slightly slower, but nothing to worry about, and you'll get similar MPG out of all of them +/- a few MPG
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
klmx
Bongonaut

Post by klmx » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:52 pm

Thanks, they are all pretty good. A white diesel, a dark grey diesel and a white V6. Want it now!!! Will take two weeks though.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:57 pm

Agree with Helen, condition is the top priority, then diesel for towing, V6 for a very smooth ride.

I fancy the petrol is a little thirstier but can be fitted with LPG if you do big distances.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:55 pm

Simon Jones is very clued up on all this and he now has a late model V6 having had an early model diesel before that. I wonder sometimes if - when buying a newer model - the V6 might be less of a worry as the late model diesels have fancy technology on the fuel pump and (I think) in the form of a variable vane turbo. These are great when working but could be expensive to fix (pump especially) if they go wrong. The V6 has one or two expensive things to watch out for though (cambelt change and oil seals). Hopefully Simon will advise if I'm talking hogwash or not.

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”