Air filter

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

MalcW
Bongonaut

Air filter

Post by MalcW » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:34 pm

Has anyone ever tried replacing the standard air filter with a more efficient one, e.g. a K&N etc.? Is there anything to be gained?
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Air filter

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:00 am

I fitted K&N filters on both previous diesel and current V6. Can't say there was any huge improvement in performance or economy, but as they are washable, they do last a lifetime and are probably more efficient than paper filters.
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Post by Tony x » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:19 am

On the diesel the air filter gets dirty over one particular area - where it feeds into the air intake. As well as changing the filter ( or washing it in Simons case) it's worth rotating it a third of the way round a couple of times a year.
MalcW
Bongonaut

Post by MalcW » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:48 pm

Tony x wrote:On the diesel the air filter gets dirty over one particular area - where it feeds into the air intake. As well as changing the filter ( or washing it in Simons case) it's worth rotating it a third of the way round a couple of times a year.
That's a good idea. I'll look at that over the weekend. A reusable filter is a good idea though; I have a Pipercross one in the airbox on my MX5. I was originally wondering whether it would be worth ditching the whole standard airbox and filter and replacing them with something more efficient, but it would probably just give more intake noise and precious little else.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:53 pm

Tony x wrote:On the diesel the air filter gets dirty over one particular area - where it feeds into the air intake. As well as changing the filter ( or washing it in Simons case) it's worth rotating it a third of the way round a couple of times a year.
Good idea that and I spun it 180 myself on a check little while back. Being replaced in a month or so at next service.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:11 pm

MalcW wrote:Has anyone ever tried replacing the standard air filter with a more efficient one, e.g. a K&N etc.? Is there anything to be gained?
I seem to recall those who fitted them said the engine sounded a little more throaty - might get a tad more noise in the cab. Overall I reckon, when cost and convenience is taken into account, there's a lot to be said for the disposable standard ones :roll:
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:50 am

If you have a side conversion that makes access under the drivers seat tricky then the K&N may be an idea as they apparently don't tend to clog up as much as paper elements.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:00 pm

I do 3K miles a year if that and mainly good ones on motorway and the paper ones do get surprisingly sooted up in a circular spot around around that intake. So definitely worth looking at. It's a good thing as it shows it is doing it's job properly but if you do high miles defo worth looking at them/cleaning them regularly.
Tom_B
Bongonaut

Post by Tom_B » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:11 am

Some people like to fit cone type filters to get more induction noise but on a Bongo I cant see why that would be any advantage - I'd prefer mine to be quieter rather than noisier.

I think that there are two things to consider - air flow through the whole filter assembly and the ability of the filter to keep filtering.

AFAIK Factory air filters are designed to give plenty of air flow - my other car is an Audi A4 and lots of folk love to replace the air filter box with a cone type filter forgetting that the Factory RS4 gets 350BHP + using the same airbox so airflow can't be a problem. The airbox on the Bongo is huge and the filter looks plenty big enough.

K&N filters use oil to trap dirt on the surface of the filter - I cant see any advantage over paper filters and some people say there are problems with the oil coating MAF filters.

Air filters are so cheap that for me I think it makes sense to change them every oil change. I can see that if you couldn't get to the air box because of the conversion it would make sense to relocate the airbox into the front of the vehicle so it is easy to get to.
1996 AWD 2.5 Oil Burning, Slushbox, Stylish bullbars, AFT White & Silver.Unconverted. Aircon!

redrocket
Bongonaut

Post by redrocket » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:50 am

Are people with side conversions really not able to get the front seat off?? What happens to yearly maintenance or having to work on the engine?? Are the seats still bolted to the hinges then??
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:05 pm

redrocket wrote:Are people with side conversions really not able to get the front seat off?? What happens to yearly maintenance or having to work on the engine?? Are the seats still bolted to the hinges then??

You can take the front seat out in a couple of minutes.

Slide seat forward and remove 2 rear bolts.
Slide seat back and remove 2 front bolts and seat belt anchor bolt.
Lift seat and disconnect seat belt/ heated seat connector.

Hoover carpet under seat before refitting.
Good Luck
pauldeb
Junior Bongonaut

Post by pauldeb » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:14 am

No noticeable power gain but I still like my k&n filter since it is washable and reusable.

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”