Mpg on Lpg

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Mpg on Lpg

Post by Jim the Box » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:40 pm

Travelling down the M9 in Scotland from the Scottish bash on Sunday, the line of traffic in front of me stretched for miles, we were all doing about 30-40 mph, on the standard 2 way stretches of the road, never seen it so congested and slow. 73 miles later I caught up with the culprit, a company called Whytes and the vehicle was a mobile lifting crane unit, the joker was travelling at 30 mph, and just refused to pull into a layby to allow everyone to pass, and heavy traffic coming in the other direction made overtaking impossible, except for the few times the road changed briefly to dual carriage way, why can't these juggernauts travel at night, sat nav estimated time 3 hrs40 mins, actual time 5 hrs, anyway when I filled up with LPG I calculated my mpg at 25.6 to the gallon, the best I've had in the past was around 22 mpg. The start of the journey was mostly down hill and I was never over 55 mph,the then the 73 miles at 30/40mph must have contributed greatly to give me really good mileage to the gallon.
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Mpg on Lpg

Post by Bob » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:45 pm

Moral - Follow that crane. :?

Or, of,course, grab yourself a cheap microwave. :D
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:05 pm

It would seem Bob that for every mph done over 50mph the fuel consumption increases by about 1.5%, never averaged 26mpg on petrol never mind LPG,so the moral as you say is find the slowest thing on the road and just drive behind it.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:44 pm

Jim the Box wrote:It would seem Bob that for every mph done over 50mph the fuel consumption increases by about 1.5%, never averaged 26mpg on petrol never mind LPG,so the moral as you say is find the slowest thing on the road and just drive behind it.
Interesting. It was doing an indicated 60mph (probably 56mph actual) that got me up to 41mpg on my diesel.
billymansell
Bongolier

Post by billymansell » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:10 pm

When driving at night I tend to mix it with lorries and my trip to Belgium in November achieved close to 28mpg on LPG but on my last trip back from the continent my right foot got the better of me and I averaged something around 22mpg.
The all black 2.5 V6 - "looks more like a pimpmobile than a playbus"
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:30 am

Yep running on LPG 22 is about normal for me, 25 mpg on petrol.

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”