Which Bongo Engine is Best?

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

goodold
Apprentice Bongonaut

Which Bongo Engine is Best?

Post by goodold » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:00 pm

I am in the process of buying a Bongo, after wanting one for years I now have the money to get an newly imported one. I had wanted a diesel but I am finding that these are hard to find newly imported. So it come down to the Petrol 2.5 V6 and the 2.0 Eco, but which. Most of the new imports seem to be the 2.0 Eco but I'veI read that this is low on power but has better mpg, if you own a 2.0 Petrol Bongo could you give me an idea of how you've got on with it. Any advice would be most welcome.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Which Bongo Engine is Best?

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:54 pm

goodold wrote:I am in the process of buying a Bongo, after wanting one for years I now have the money to get an newly imported one. I had wanted a diesel but I am finding that these are hard to find newly imported. So it come down to the Petrol 2.5 V6 and the 2.0 Eco, but which. Most of the new imports seem to be the 2.0 Eco but I'veI read that this is low on power but has better mpg, if you own a 2.0 Petrol Bongo could you give me an idea of how you've got on with it. Any advice would be most welcome.
Welcome. I have an old diesel and love it, but if I was to get petrol I think on balance I'd go for the v6 for the luxury of more power. The 2.0 is not said to be better on fuel economy and hills can be hard work fully loaded. Probably fine though if you got the lighter tintop and didn't plan to be heavily loaded. And they are simpler to work on, with masses of space in the engine bay, and a bit less to go wrong. Said to be nippy enough around town too.
Scratch
Bongolier

Post by Scratch » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:17 pm

I hired a couple of 2.5L AFT diesels for holidays before buying my Bongo. I now have a 2.0L petrol tin top and love it. I find it much quieter than the diesels and very nice to drive. I didn't find a great deal of difference in fuel economy between the different models but don't expect too much - I get about 28MPG. I don't have a conversion but have driven with 7 passengers and although it takes a bit of time to get up hills, no great problem. I don't intend to tow anything, and doubt if I will ever get a conversion, so it is fine for me and the family. I would suggest that the choice of engine is less important than the condition of the vehicle and what you intend to use it for.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:19 am

I've had a diesel and now have a V6 and they are two very different vehicles. The diesel has steady power up the rev range whereas the V6 comes into its own at the top end and then it really flies. It's very quiet, smooth and has a nice purr when it's cruising.

I tried a 2.0 and it was (in my opinion) rather under powered and I think it would have needed a much heavier right foot to keep it moving at a reasonable pace. However, people who own them generally find the performance acceptable and the economy quite good.

A V6 petrol with LPG conversion would give you best of both worlds in terms of power and running costs although with the current price of petrol close to £1/litre, your time to recoup the initial cost will have increased.

Another option is 2.0 with LPG as the conversion cost is less than the V6. Whatever engine you go for, factor in cost of a new cambelt if there is no receipt to prove it has been recently replaced. The V6 should also have the camshaft and crankshaft oil seals changed while it's apart which brings the total cost to around £500. No idea about cost of belt change on a 2.0 but it should be quite a bit less.

Some specs for two engines:

Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:24 am

It also depends if you want 4WD. All the newer petrols are rear wheel drive only, but still thought to be pretty good in a field.

Some also come with a limited slip diff which helps.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:41 am

Good point Bob. In addition, all V6's have auto gearboxes. Not sure about 2.0
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:56 pm

I went from 2.5Td to 2.0l and I love mine, very smooth, very quiet, less complicated. I have had it converted to lpg local to me and it runs great. A little underpowered compared to the others but just rev it a bit more and it goes. I have been over to the Lake District on many occasions and it copes with the hills albeit very slowly.
On the plus side you get to see more as it takes longer to get up the hills :lol:
Do what you like.Like what you do.
Getcarter
Bongolier

Post by Getcarter » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:17 pm

I have had both the 2.0 and the 2.5 V6

2.0 is a bit underpowered when going up hill fully loaded but for round town is great. The V6 is much quicker and smoother, a real pleasure to drive.

I would get a V6 and convert it to LPG. I had both converted myself and paid £1200 for the V6 conversion over a year ago with Battersea autogas. Very pleased with it
V6 Tintop with LPG
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:11 am

If it's torque and character you want, it has to be the diesel. And it purrs beautifully when cruising. Whilst the v6 may be silent, the diesel is lovely and I prefer it's sound to the stereo :-)
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:00 pm

Diesel for us too. Masses of 'grunt', and really not particularly noisy if well set up.

Derek
Colin H F
Supreme Being

Post by Colin H F » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:59 pm

I had the 2.5 diesel for three years and the 2.0 petrol for two years the mpg was the same in both 30mpg but as stated by others the 2.5 seemed to have loads more power and if I was to get another it would deffo be the 2.5 diesel
prior owner of >>>>1999 2.5 diesel ex tin top &FORD FREDA 2000 2.0 LTR PETROL
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:43 pm

The grunt of the diesel encourages a very relaxed and effortless drive over hill and down dale, regardless of how heavily loaded, while you enjoy the view. That, for me, is the real joy of it. 8)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:47 pm

Ours just doesn't notice a ton of caravan on the back.

Really pleased with the diesel.

Not knocking the others, though. :wink:
Ricey155
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Ricey155 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:52 pm

Good read

Just started looking to swop my Abarth 500 for a family truck :-) already an LPG fan fitted on our type r saved us a fortune

I guess the v6 with LPG would be a good option
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:12 pm

My V6 as a Romano system with an vacuum operated Flashlube .. I can't fault it ..

It's so good .. I've had the same system fitted on my 4WD V6 Alphard ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”