Bongo Fury Neweletter - Diesel Vehicles- Politics

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

ELZE
Supreme Being

Bongo Fury Neweletter - Diesel Vehicles- Politics

Post by ELZE » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:26 pm

I read with interest this month the article regarding Europe's new stance of diesel vehicles. I have to ask the question, what happened to the goverment of the day's promise of a 10 year plan for LPG?

I do feel sorry for those who may be faced with having to abandon thier diesels or be robbed daily at the pumps in future but they were definitely misled and should be compensated in my view. At the time when they promoted diesel the government could not wait to increase the price at the pump. I remember when only a few cars ran on it and it was no where near the price of petrol let alone more as it is now.

May I say that I am sick and tired of being dictated to by Europe. The sooner we get the hell out of it the better. We are switching off perectly good coal fired power stations because they say we can't burn coal anymore but we can burn oil? we cannot even refurbish them with carbon capture and carbon scrubbing technology to make their emissions compliant, Oh no just shut them off!

I have recently been offered a new contract building a new DIESEL fired power station on Shetlend? Hello? Am I missing something here?

Vacuum cleaners banned for using too much power, kettles, cookers, hair dryers and god knows what next.

Too much interference, too much of a rush to ban old technology before bringing new solutions online!

I know wind energy is not everyones cup of tea with arguments for and against buy my god will we be glad of them in another few years when the power cuts come. Already there is a panic as two nuclear power stations are currently off line for unscheduled maintenance and in 2015 all the coal fires ones go out for good?

Rant Over!
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo Fury Neweletter - Diesel Vehicles- Politics

Post by g8dhe » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:23 pm

The trouble is no one really cares about who gets elected as MEP's so the greens have a field day ! They have now become entrenched and as a result we pay the price!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:56 pm

Getting out of the EU will help tremendiously. No one tells America, Saudi Arabia, UAE or India to mention a few what fuel to burn or make them pay green taxes. These countries pour billions of greenhouse gasses out every day, probably three times as much as we have saved per day so what impact are we having compared to that?

America will not reduce carbon deposits as it costs jobs and industry.

We however can have as many on the dole as possible as long as we do not pollute. stuff jobs and peoples lives, you may not have much money or even live in poverty but hell you will breath better!
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:56 am

Hi
Diesels???...in the EU diesel is cheaper...it's the UK that lured everyone into buying them. Whoever listened to the blurb at the time which stated that diesels are cleaner are those who believe ANYTHING that the government says....precisely the same people who think that the moon is made of green cheese.
The fact is that diesels are dirty...and if America doesn't care about emissions, why do they believe that diesels are dirty?....Not many diesel cars in America :wink: ....The one that REALLY grabs my sense of humour is the tax on LPG when that increases to a similar level to petrol!....once the numbers of cars increase which run LPG , that is!...Europe has very many LPG stations!....England will follow....The old saying about "no such thing as a free lunch" comes to mind.
I haven't actually read this plan regarding diesels, but as they are pretty popular in the EU because many of them tend to give good mileage, this plan might be as dead as the one that wants all cars over 10 years old off the road (No doubt both inspired by Germany, who rely heavily on car production) If sanctions on Russia stay put, Germany won't be exporting as many cars there, so there needs to be market changes.....and if these EU plans come into force, then ALL Bongos will be binned!
Regarding getting out of the EU, it was Joe Public who voted us in, and it MAY be a bad move to get out....there are too many pluses and minuses...I'm afraid my heart says leave the EU, and my gut says stay....precisely the same dilemna as the Scots....BUT they never voted to be in in the first place!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:09 am

Is it really possible that our diesel Bongos might have to be scrapped? In the past its Bern a numbers game, with the old being left to pass into history naturally. :roll:
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:48 am

Hi
Is there a link to this information?
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:14 am

Hi
Ah...found it in the newsletter....as Elze said...Well...E. U. wanting to fine the UK?....Probably ....but the worse polluters are the old Eastern European countries, and over here in Bulgaria, it's just about the dirtiest...They blame car emmissions....well, for a country that always claims to be Europe's poorest, you wouldn't believe the logarithmic increase in car ownership that we've seen....and they prefer diesels because the fuel is cheaper. The fact is that people don't pay tax....the government doesn't get tax money , because , like the Greeks, people don't pay, so it's the Governments that don't have money...the people do!....and the colossal amount of particulate matter in the Eastern sector is not because they burn coal....they burn Lignite...the precursor of coal....or wood, and the acrid stench that envelopes is a pointer to the particulate matter in the air....you can almost chew it!....so....why is England singled out?....Because it will pay, and abide by the rules, whereas the rest of the EU dodges them....plus, all these so -called poorer countries standing in line for a payout, get contributions from Western Europe!....so the taxpayers of Western Europe fund the non-taxpayers of Eastern Europe....Now they want diesel owners to cough up as well (pun intended).....bloomin' nerve!
Oh...in case you wonder how salaried staff avoid tax, I can go into detail....I found out by chance talking to the locals!
Cheers
Helen
BigPanzer
Tribal Elder

Post by BigPanzer » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:12 pm

Hi,

This shows common sense is going down the pan.

OK, assuming I had hair and used a hairdryer on it. A powerful one would do the job in a very short time. A less powerful one would take longer to have the same effect. Less electricity used? I very much doubt it. It takes a set amount of energy to evaporate 1cc of water and it matters not one jot whether it comes in one short, hot burst or a longer, lukewarm time. Anybody who has the slightest knowledge of physics or a couple of brain cells would tell you that.

As for diesel engines, what about those that run on veg oil? Don't they create less pollution? I don't know the answer to that one.

Its all to do with being seen to do something to justify keeping their overpaid snouts in the trough.

Peter
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:29 pm

Hi
Oh, yes....they backed down on the hairdryer issue, but regarding the air pollution in the UK, it's cars , alright...and with the population increasing by the millisecond, it will only get worse...Small country, big numbers of cars = masses of exhaust pollution. What we should do is ban the import of more large cars over 1.3 litres...THEN watch the EU do a "U-turn"....Germany would lose another country to export to, and good old Frau Merkel will have to change the regulations to suit the UK....
Anyway...What's wrong with polluting London...we could have more thick "pea-souper" smogs, and add some authenticity to the guided "Jack the Ripper" tours around London....that would see a rise in Ripper Tourism, and Boris would be so pleased, he'd only allow dirty diesels into London!....SIMPLE... (just like politicians) :roll: :roll: :roll:
Cheers
Helen
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:31 pm

The irony is..... France has a huge population of Diesel's and it's £1 a litre there.... are the EU going to hit French motorists....and German Motorists........I think not.... Methinks it's all Tory Bluster to scare the DM & Sun readers....

And then Mazda introduce the DIESEL Mazda 2 which passes Euro 6 & Japanese Diesel pollution tests...... without DPF etc....

http://blog.caranddriver.com/tiny-torqu ... el-engine/ which....Makes a nonsense of the claims that diesels are dirty.....
Last edited by mikexgough on Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:34 pm

The other ironic thing is..... Dodgy Tim Yeo & Bullingdon Boris..... managed to get the cab drivers in London to buy new Cabs from Yeo's company....the big issue is...they are filthier than the old ones they were driving..... It isn't the EU that is just fiddling.... the ConDem Govt ministers have so far filled their boots ready for a back step at the next election....
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
BigPanzer
Tribal Elder

Post by BigPanzer » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:15 pm

Hi,

I once heard the definition of a good MP:

"One who, once bought, stays bought"

How very true!

Peter
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:10 pm

Hi
Oh, yes, in the rest of the EU they love diesels alright! I don't see any anti-diesel regulations coming on the Continent....BUT good ol' UK....tax the populace until they squeak...EVERY party does it...and as for Sun and DM readers, they aren't any different to the Telegraph, Guardian, or W.H.Y. Journalists just tailor their undiluted moo-poo to the target audience, and the same ol' slogan applies for all journalists: "why let the truth get in the way of a good story"...in fact I've seen some REAL high-falutin' porkies in the Telegraph in my time....It's generally better to read comics!
Cheers
Helen
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:58 pm

Having just come back from Cornwall where I paid 61.9p/litre for LPG, I'm happy to stick with my V6 Bongo. My daily driver is a diesel with 210,000 miles on it and it returns 45 MPG and I'll quite happily run it until it falls apart and then I'll probably buy another diesel as I won't find any petrol cars in my price range that will be as cheap to run (unless I find something with LPG already fitted).
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:56 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
Diesels???...in the EU diesel is cheaper...it's the UK that lured everyone into buying them. Whoever listened to the blurb at the time which stated that diesels are cleaner are those who believe ANYTHING that the government says....precisely the same people who think that the moon is made of green cheese.
The fact is that diesels are dirty...and if America doesn't care about emissions, why do they believe that diesels are dirty?....Not many diesel cars in America :wink: ....The one that REALLY grabs my sense of humour is the tax on LPG when that increases to a similar level to petrol!....once the numbers of cars increase which run LPG , that is!...Europe has very many LPG stations!....England will follow....The old saying about "no such thing as a free lunch" comes to mind.
I haven't actually read this plan regarding diesels, but as they are pretty popular in the EU because many of them tend to give good mileage, this plan might be as dead as the one that wants all cars over 10 years old off the road (No doubt both inspired by Germany, who rely heavily on car production) If sanctions on Russia stay put, Germany won't be exporting as many cars there, so there needs to be market changes.....and if these EU plans come into force, then ALL Bongos will be binned!
Regarding getting out of the EU, it was Joe Public who voted us in, and it MAY be a bad move to get out....there are too many pluses and minuses...I'm afraid my heart says leave the EU, and my gut says stay....precisely the same dilemna as the Scots....BUT they never voted to be in in the first place!
Cheers
Helen
Diesels aren't any "dirtier" than petrols just differently dirty. They are inherently "lean burn", something which a petrol (or LPG) engine can NEVER be. They produce (overall) less pollutants, because they burn less fuel (a simple fact of life).
You cannot commit suicide with a diesel (just get a nasty cough!) as they produce negligible CO and they do not need a 3-way catalyst to convert that nasty deadly toxic CO to EVEN MORE CO2, in the process burning even more fuel and producing even more pollution.

These diesel scares pop up at regular intervals, but all the car manufacturers say if you want to keep driving diesel is here to stay. Petrol is a nasty toxic polluting fuel even before you burn it - it's storage and sale is subject to countless regulations and restrictions. NONE of which apply the the relatively benign diesel, because it is nowhere near as dangerous.

Some countries do not even permit the venting of petrol tanks to atmosphere during filling because of the toxicity of the fumes - the USA for one.

Gasoline contains large numbers of dangerous and cancer-causing chemicals such as benzene, butadiene, toluene, ethylbenzene, xylene, trimethyl pentane, methyltertbutylether (MTBE) and many others. For the U.S. alone approximately 140 billion gallons of gasoline were consumed in 1989. An increase in only ten cents per gallon in price of gasoline generates 14 billion dollars in extra profit per year for oil industry cartel. Laboratory animals exposed to gasoline developed cancers in different tissues and organs. A number of epidemiological studies in humans provide evidence of increased cancer risk of leukemia, kidney, liver, brain, lymphosarcoma, lymphatic tissue pancreas and other tissues and organs.
[/quote]

Abstract from.......
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1981951

You may think diesels are dirty engines, but "gasoline" is a disgustingly filthy fuel even before you burn it.

As you say later "never let the facts get in the way of a good scare story" :roll:

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”