Bongo Fury Neweletter - Diesel Vehicles- Politics

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

mikexgough
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo Fury Neweletter - Diesel Vehicles- Politics

Post by mikexgough » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:37 pm

Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:41 pm

After 3 Citroen's I never thought I'd want another, but yes please to that one!
Vivaro named Stewart however ex '96 4wd 2.5TD owner.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:32 pm

So which budding inventor is going to come up with a retrofit kit then eh? Not complicated to build something basic. Compressor motor, clutch, reservoir, and you're done.
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:46 am

mikeonb4c wrote:So which budding inventor is going to come up with a retrofit kit then eh? Not complicated to build something basic. Compressor motor, clutch, reservoir, and you're done.
You seem to know what you're talking about Mike, well volunteered! :wink:
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:28 am

In India virtually every vehicle runs on diesel. Probably the same in most of Africa.

Not a bad thing from the safety point of view. Surely diesel must be cheaper, not to mention safer, to produce,transport and store than petrol?

On the subject of green initiatives, never trust measures that are pushed at us. Just look at the low energy light bulb issue. If it had been left to cheapskates like me (he of the hair dryer up the trouser leg instead of central heating) to choose money saving ideas and keep them under wraps we might not have the situation whereby once they have forced everyone on board they can keep the prices at ransom levels. They certainly played a dirty trick on diesel users after encouraging them to take up using the fuel.

Did anyone else hear a news release a few weeks ago saying that any diesel vehicle bought before this year will be illegal after 2020?

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:52 pm

It seems that a lot of the fear in this comes from last years Low Emission strategy from the ConDem government..... with Michael Fallon's mucky mitts all over over then it's no wonder rumour is rife.
Basically the UK govt are having a strategy (fake or not) in place to appease the EU, whether they actually carry out such a plan or strategy is another matter....with the Tories hell bent on supporting fossil fuels, lets say it's way off.
As part of the "strategy" there is the plan to phase out this year pre Euro 4 diesels from the road...in COMMERCIAL vehicles to cut smog etc and as we need these wagons to ferry our goods and food around the UK....then diesel will remain the chosen fuel for ages to come. Lets face it.....if there was no diesel.... would they build more rail terminals and goods yards & leccy wagons for local deliveries and have more or what was there Pre Beeching times?.... errr no... of course not.
Basically..... the strategy is a "nudge" for the public to opt for high cost, low emission, high cost for repair eco cars to help them "feel" better and make more cash for the sometimes dodgy UK car trade....
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
roosmith
Tribal Elder

Post by roosmith » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:29 pm

mikexgough wrote:It seems that a lot of the fear in this comes from last years Low Emission strategy from the ConDem government..... with Michael Fallon's mucky mitts all over over then it's no wonder rumour is rife.
Basically the UK govt are having a strategy (fake or not) in place to appease the EU, whether they actually carry out such a plan or strategy is another matter....with the Tories hell bent on supporting fossil fuels, lets say it's way off.
As part of the "strategy" there is the plan to phase out this year pre Euro 4 diesels from the road...in COMMERCIAL vehicles to cut smog etc and as we need these wagons to ferry our goods and food around the UK....then diesel will remain the chosen fuel for ages to come. Lets face it.....if there was no diesel.... would they build more rail terminals and goods yards & leccy wagons for local deliveries and have more or what was there Pre Beeching times?.... errr no... of course not.
Basically..... the strategy is a "nudge" for the public to opt for high cost, low emission, high cost for repair eco cars to help them "feel" better and make more cash for the sometimes dodgy UK car trade....
Spot on Mike, succinctly put =D> =D> =D>
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:41 pm

roosmith wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:So which budding inventor is going to come up with a retrofit kit then eh? Not complicated to build something basic. Compressor motor, clutch, reservoir, and you're done.
You seem to know what you're talking about Mike, well volunteered! :wink:
Too old, too tired, lots of vision but no engineering skills either. :-(
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:21 am

Looking forward to reading your Fact Sheet. Well done.

=D> =D> =D>
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:24 am

rita wrote:

=D> =D> =D>
What's needed is something that - when the accelerator is in the foots-off position - tells a clutch from propshaft to compressor to engage so the compressor pushes air into the reservoir bottle.

Conversely, when the accelerator is depressed, something allows any compressed air in the bottle to be released into compressor to drive it and transfer it's crankshaft motion back to the propshaft. The compressor motor must be of a type that be turned by either by mechanical energy or by compressed air.

But I can't write a factsheet until we can find an engineer to firstly calculate whether this device could be made viable using cheap to make/source components before coming up with a detailed design.

But everything starts with an idea doncha think?
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:37 am

mikeonb4c wrote:
rita wrote:

=D> =D> =D>
What's needed is something that - when the accelerator is in the foots-off position - tells a clutch from propshaft to compressor to engage so the compressor pushes air into the reservoir bottle.

Conversely, when the accelerator is depressed, something allows any compressed air in the bottle to be released into compressor to drive it and transfer it's crankshaft motion back to the propshaft. The compressor motor must be of a type that be turned by either by mechanical energy or by compressed air.

But I can't write a factsheet until we can find an engineer to firstly calculate whether this device could be made viable using cheap to make/source components before coming up with a detailed design.

But everything starts with an idea doncha think?
Great Idea , I don't think you will have much trouble finding an engineer that will work with you on this project. Will be watching this with great interest, again Well done and Good Luck with your project.

=D> =D> =D>
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:44 pm

Sorry to disappoint you Rita as I can see you're keen to see me try it. I put it out only as an idea for someone with youth, energy, enterprise and opportunity to explore - all the things I don't have. Might as well leave it be unless such a person steps up to give it a go. Hope no entrepreneur from the VW forums is reading this and picks up on the idea though - what a humiliation that would be for the Bongo Tribe. :oops:

Meanwhile, I'll apply my limited energy to pootling around at 60mph and getting 40mpg. Not quite as exciting as regenerative braking but it keeps a smile on my face :D

Where are you based by the way as I seem to have noted you as someone with good engineering ideas in the past. If we could connect you with other enthusiasts then you never know................. :roll:
The Great Pretender
Supreme Being

Post by The Great Pretender » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:07 pm

Retro fitting a regenerative system from an engineering point of view isn’t too difficult, controlling it needs a lot of money throwing at software. Look at how F1 have problems with rear wheels locking up under braking as the computer struggles to balance the two systems.
So you manage it and the Bongo now does 100mpg and you are really chuffed.
…………Better tell the insurance company……………..

The Bongo will never get off the drive………………..Legally.

I had enough problems with a camper conversion and a veg oil system. :roll: :wink:
To infinity and beyond
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:17 am

The Great Pretender wrote:Retro fitting a regenerative system from an engineering point of view isn’t too difficult, controlling it needs a lot of money throwing at software. Look at how F1 have problems with rear wheels locking up under braking as the computer struggles to balance the two systems.
So you manage it and the Bongo now does 100mpg and you are really chuffed.
…………Better tell the insurance company……………..

The Bongo will never get off the drive………………..Legally.

I had enough problems with a camper conversion and a veg oil system. :roll: :wink:
But F1 is leading edge. We're only talking about something simple: less efficient/effective, and controlled by simple switching and sensors. Can it really be that difficult?

I agree about legalities but it's the engineering feasability that interests me first.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:38 am

Or it could be driven by a bloomin' great wheel:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flywheel_energy_stora

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrobus

Ahh Hmm...

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”