LPG Recommended Converters

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

Darryl

Re: LPG Recommended Converters

Post by Darryl » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:50 am

I've just found out from my local DVLA office that i will still have to pay £215 a year to tax as the V5 does not have CO2 emissions on it. There suggestion was to go the manufacturer and ask them for it :roll: even though the van is now LPG.

My V5 does now show alternative fuel but does anyone have any advice on how i get a CO2 emission added to the V5 and hopefully some cheaper road tax?

Thanks
flossie
Tribal Elder

Post by flossie » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:48 am

No no no ! Can't remember why though but I put a similar post some months ago and Paul an LPG converter who is great help on here gave a comprehensive response ...
Liz
'99 V6 White over Silver - as yet unconverted but I may be converted!
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:39 pm

I have had my 1999 'T' reg Toyota Estima for over six years know

I had converted to LPG over three years ago ... my only regret is that i did not have her converted from the first day I bought her ..!!

She was converted by a local Autogas company .. http://www.nationwidelpg.com/ ... who I recommend most highly ...

Two year warranty ... free first service ... insurance certificate .. Flash lube (Vacuum operated) and a full tank of gas was (then) £1100 for a fully sequential system ..

The system as proved faultless even through the last 'hard' winter ... maybe my only 'complaint' is that I live in an 'hollow' which ever way I leave home I have to climb and join a busy main road .. the system switches over a bit to quick over to LPG and as there is no choke the engine is more sluggish until a she is bit warmed up ...

Not being a fan of Diesels .. (I still have a 2.5TD Omega ..BMW straight 6) ... that as not been used in the time I have had the Esti..

I put in 55 litres of gas today (01/09/2011) @ 67p a litre...

I am thinking about selling my Esti and having a Bongo, so my son and I can get out for the occasional over nighter ... and would really like a V6 LPG / Bongo..

JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Ron Miel
Supreme Being

Post by Ron Miel » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

haydn callow wrote:Flashlube not required on a V6 as it has hardened valve seats....in fact fitting it can cause problems to the Lambada sensor.

Mine also used to "hunt" a bit when on LPG whilst waiting at lights/junctions etc...however this has almost totallt gone now the system has bedded in (12 months) and it now never stalls.
>
>
Hi Haydn

Re Flashlube. In your post http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... ad#p440607 last year in this thread, referring to Paul at lpgimports, you said that: "He does not normally fit a flash lube as both Mazda and Romano reckon it is not required...However for £50 you can get a kit off ebay (from Ireland) and fit it if you are concerned....It may not do any good but it will do no harm....So I may get round to fitting one in the future."

Have you since had further input on the subject, now making you go firmer against Flashlube, because, as now quoted above, you consider that it "...can cause problems to the Lambda sensor.."?

I think your original statement is probably right by the way, in that the Bongo V6 design is of an age when it should have hardened valve seats (unleaded began being used in the mid '80s), and reading yours and other similar opinions a year or so back, I nearly abandoned Flashlube as a result.

However, believing that it at least would not cause problems and might still have marginally positive effects, plus being very keen to do all possible to ensure the engine's longevity, I decided not to stop using it in the end, and have continued with it. Have now been using it for 3 years/24,000 miles and have had no lambda sensor problem - so I'll keep on doing so I guess, although I no longer panic if I find it has run out!

As far as stalling when LPG idling is concerned, I also experienced a lot of that in my first year of operation, then it mysteriously disappeared.

More recently, I reported finding (http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =3&t=51108) that an unexpectedly short air filter element life had been the cause of several recent months when this LPG idle stalling had again been occurring. Changed the filter element and got a miraculous instant cure. On reflection, I think it probably also cleared up the first time, at about the time I previously changed the air filter element, although I didn't make the connection then. Did you change the air filter element somewhere along the way?

As you can see from my post, I had also recently gone through all the same ignition component changes as you did - but none of them affected the LPG idle stalling, although they did sort out lousy cold starting on petrol. Again, the one thing I have not had to change is the lambda sensor, although I've had one ready on the shelf for the past 18 months or so, in case it did prove to underlay either of the above issues.

Mine's starting, idling, and pulling (petrol and LPG) sweet as a nut now by the way.

Best wishes

David
2001-V6-LPG-AFT-black on silver-Imperial Purbeck camper

(Ron miel=honey rum from the Canaries)
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:29 am

MY 1999 Toyota is a 'lean burn' engine that I assumed would not need upper cylinder lubricant (Flash lube) but I did some research / Googling and the general opinion seemed to be that Toyota and several more manufactures did ..

So I asked to have it fitted as part of my conversions 'all in price' ..

This is a good dedicated LPG Forum .... http://www.lpgforum.co.uk/
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Ron Miel
Supreme Being

Post by Ron Miel » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:19 am

mikeWalsall wrote:MY 1999 Toyota is a 'lean burn' engine that I assumed would not need upper cylinder lubricant (Flash lube) but I did some research / Googling and the general opinion seemed to be that Toyota and several more manufactures did ..

So I asked to have it fitted as part of my conversions 'all in price' ..

This is a good dedicated LPG Forum .... http://www.lpgforum.co.uk/
Yes, it is a good forum (not as good as this one!), which I've subscribed to since first fitting LPG three years ago - when I did have some questions to get answered there. Good news though is that my V6 LPG installation generally, has been trouble free (except for the air filter/idling issue which I sorted anyway), and I've not had to look at that forum for at least a couple of years. Hope your Estima continues doing well.

Reminder to myself - must get some BiGas filters from Tinley, and get it round to our local LPG gurus (not BiGas dealers) for its annual safety inspection, etc.

Ron Miel
Supreme Being

Post by Ron Miel » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:30 pm

Darryl wrote:I had my V6 done in July at Mint LPG (Previously Autogas Worldwide), Newport. I had their Mint XL system installed for £1395. There were a few problems that took several attempts to rectify but are there now. On the second visit they found the fault to be distributor cap, HT leads, Lambda sensor, spark plugs. In fairness to them, none of the faults were from the LPG system, it was probably caused by the van only doing 300 miles in the last 12 months and then me buying it and taking it fully loaded to the Isle of Wight. They replaced all the parts and only charged me an hours labour even though they had it a week working through the error codes.

Only slight problem is it tries to stall at lights after it first changes from Petrol to LPG, but am getting used to it and will monitor the situation.

Install took 3 days and i have an UKLPG certificate which Insurance Co. and DVLA accepted and have had it reregistered as dual fuel for lower Road Fund Licence costs.

However, i do not have the flashlube fitted - should i be concerned?

It is is nice paying £40 to fill up :D
Hi Darryl. Re LPG stalling when idling, and still warming up (i.e., just after switching from cold start petrol), have you checked the air filter? See http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 08#p515804 (note that I was wrong there about opening spark plug gaps - they need closing a bit to optimise LPG running).

white aero deck

Post by white aero deck » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:16 pm

The info here is v.useful but mostly relates to V6 We have a 2litre anyone any info about LPG with that engine?
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:06 am

Thanks for all your input on this. I will add a list of recommended suppliers to the LPV factsheet in the members area of main website. If you have feedback on any others, please let us know.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:42 pm

Just to add ...

I bought a V6 Bongo late November 2011 .. I was going to use the installer who did my Toyota Estima about five years ago .. a very good guy who I would recommend as my Esti as always run faultless .. I paid £1100 for the Zavoli conversion .. Flash lube .. tank of LPG .. first years free service .. insurance certificate.. (Although apparently now .. the LPG insurance certificate is like road Tax ..Mot .. insurance .. it's all done / stored on line ..)

http://www.nationwidelpg.com/
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:33 pm

Be sure to check that your bus goes onto the LPG data base ..

http://www.drivelpg.co.uk/
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:19 pm

Ask a silly question but why do you have to have it on this database?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:37 pm

It's an insurance company requirement to 'prove' that the LPG conversions as been done to the industries code of practise ..

A bit like a Corgi gas fitter or electricians certificate ...
PuffTheTragicWagon

Post by PuffTheTragicWagon » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:39 pm

Hey there guys, I had my Bongo converted by Mint Conversions in Wales and they were brilliant......

Mint LPG Ltd, Pentre Poeth Rd, Bassaleg, Newport, South Wales, NP10 8RR. Tel 01633 894070

They give you a free car to crank around in for a couple of days while you wait too....since the conversion, I've been using the bongo more as a daily runner as once it warms up ( 30 seconds ) and changes over ( automatically ) then it's all good all day.

It costs about 54 quid to fill up and I get about 350 miles out of it, I reckon that's bloody good for a 2ltr Bongo, Mines an "S" reg

So if anyone has questions about it mssg me and i'll chat to you.....it's so worth it, it was £1100 for the top of the range Romano kit.......brilliant !

Craig in Cornwall
Bogmonster40
Bongolier

Post by Bogmonster40 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:59 pm

Just had mine done at profess autogas near Cardiff tel01443812893
Total cost £1005 Inc vat (plus a tank of gas)
System is an AC stagg 300 multi point with 85ltr toroidal tank. All fitted in just over a day. Setup was completed with me driving and engineer fine tuning with a laptop to make double sure all was good.
The fitters are all polish, and the better for it ! So far very happy with the company and the fit..

Cut and pasted this off someone else's post as the only difference from their and mine is I had mine done in January 2011 and I paid £1005.
Yes all the fitters are polish but what a bunch of lovely geezers, no complaints from me they have been very helpful......

I have had a few issues with racing and stalling engine, but this seems to have been caused by a leak off my engine filling the lpg filter full of oil, since this has been replaced I have had no issues at all.
Just had a full service and undersealed cost me £112 - the beauties of my daughter dating a mechanic.........
V6 2.5i Tintop Aero Petrol/LPG

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”