LPG Recommended Converters

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

JaseH
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: LPG Recommended Converters

Post by JaseH » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:33 am

PuffTheTragicWagon wrote:Hey there guys, I had my Bongo converted by Mint Conversions in Wales and they were brilliant......

Mint LPG Ltd, Pentre Poeth Rd, Bassaleg, Newport, South Wales, NP10 8RR. Tel 01633 894070

They give you a free car to crank around in for a couple of days while you wait too....since the conversion, I've been using the bongo more as a daily runner as once it warms up ( 30 seconds ) and changes over ( automatically ) then it's all good all day.

It costs about 54 quid to fill up and I get about 350 miles out of it, I reckon that's bloody good for a 2ltr Bongo, Mines an "S" reg

So if anyone has questions about it mssg me and i'll chat to you.....it's so worth it, it was £1100 for the top of the range Romano kit.......brilliant !

Craig in Cornwall
Can't agree more-just taken my v6 back for the 1000 mile check,all is good so far!!!
They tweaked the map while i was there also,checked lines etc ,at no cost.Great service all round :o
mollie
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by mollie » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:21 am

New Forest Terrier wrote:Very useful information about the garage in Hythe. I think they are the same people who converted my Range Rover. Different adress, Marchwood, but same names.

I had four good years from the conversion, plus a year of problems due to drying out and failing seals. This was a few years ago, converted in 2000 and ran till 2005, so hopefully the conversion kit quality is now better. No problems with the quality of the work, just the kit.

I calculated mine which cost £1,600 paid for itself in less than a year at 17k miles. I was doing a high mileage then, towing a lot of the time, with an absolute gas guzzler 12 -15 mpg.

I am not sure with the Bongo. Much lower mileage, about 7k a year and I get a respectable mpg from the Bongo.

I will be really interested to see how these systems fare over a few years. I did over 1,000 miles last week as camper and van and the petrol bills for that hurt! :evil:
Hi I have tried to contact these people by phone but the number seems to be disconnected. I want to convert my Bongo to LPG (new owner, only had it for three months)Any ideas or info about someone else would be greatly appreciated.
mollie
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by mollie » Wed May 03, 2017 9:26 am

New Forest Terrier wrote:Very useful information about the garage in Hythe. I think they are the same people who converted my Range Rover. Different adress, Marchwood, but same names.

I had four good years from the conversion, plus a year of problems due to drying out and failing seals. This was a few years ago, converted in 2000 and ran till 2005, so hopefully the conversion kit quality is now better. No problems with the quality of the work, just the kit.

I calculated mine which cost £1,600 paid for itself in less than a year at 17k miles. I was doing a high mileage then, towing a lot of the time, with an absolute gas guzzler 12 -15 mpg.

I am not sure with the Bongo. Much lower mileage, about 7k a year and I get a respectable mpg from the Bongo.

I will be really interested to see how these systems fare over a few years. I did over 1,000 miles last week as camper and van and the petrol bills for that hurt! :evil:
HI have tried to contact the garage at Hythe but phone seems to be disconnected can you help re contacting them.Would be very grateful
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed May 03, 2017 9:34 am

Bear in mind this post was almost 8 years ago and refers to work done 17 years ago. :wink:
Umm
Bongonaut

Post by Umm » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:51 pm

AJC aren't trading any more unfortunately
Ditdene
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Ditdene » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:41 am

To satisfy vehicle insurers is it a specific lpg system that's required as well as an approved installer? There seem to be a quite a few places offering installation services but would there work be deemed insurable?
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:18 am

Hi, and welcome. 8)

I would think approved instalers would only fit safe, quality, and therefore insurable systems, but if you're concerned at all I would decide what you want then contact your insurers before you have it fitted.

Get them to put in writing that it is acceptable. :wink:
Flanners
Bongolier

Post by Flanners » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:59 am

Be careful who you chose to do the work, as incorrectly fitted/run it will cause costly issues. I was looking into LPG prior to purchase of the van, I do under 4K a year so not worth it for me and there also seems too many pitfalls if not done correctly, a previous Bongo owner on LPG posted this on another site:

Having sold it a couple of years now, the main points I remember are that long journeys you nearly always had to switch back to petrol because there was no LPG stations on route when you needed them, the 60l tank actually only took just over 50 ish as it has to allow for 10% expansion, the flashlube was not too costly if it was tuned to lube at the correct rate (i.e. not too much, not too little!), but Mazda Bongos are notoriously difficult to tune for LPG and many “reputable” conversion centres struggle with them. Also, you have to leave the spare wheel at home and get a tyre sealant kit (or stick the spare in the back), as the tank is positioned where the spare lives. Personally, if I were to buy another one – I wouldn’t bother with LPG!!
2002 2.0 Aero with Outback Conversion and Roof Top Tent
Ditdene
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Ditdene » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:36 pm

Thank you for the feedback. It's been my first week of driving bonny bongo and it's fair to say she's thirsty. I should just about make 120 miles on £30 petrol, having previously driven a diesel car - this is quite a difference in fuel cost. Not that I was naive to think it would be the same, but I like to know there are options to reduce this, hence the query on lpg.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:49 pm

Well worth exploring options. 8)

Obviously down to mileage v instilation and maintenance costs which is an individual sum.

Enjoy Bongoing and feel free to ask anything on here. :D

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”