My atg twintank vegetable oil kit,vids and pics......

What's the MPG like? Can I use chip fat and veggie oil? What about LPG?

Moderator: Doone

chipvan
Supreme Being

Re: My atg twintank vegetable oil kit,vids and pics......

Post by chipvan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:44 pm

You will have to click this to open vid (Open this content in a new window)

sorry iam no actor!!lol
slow_n_low
Bongolier

Post by slow_n_low » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:20 am

Brill vid :P
chipvan
Supreme Being

Post by chipvan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:10 am

Cheers fella,
chipvan
Supreme Being

Post by chipvan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:44 pm

i was expecting some stick over this!
The Great Pretender
Supreme Being

Post by The Great Pretender » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:01 am

Nice to see how the "professional" kits work. Looks nice n clean down there to.

When I made my conversion up I didn't want to confuse thing with auto switching temp controls to start with, now I can understand that a company producing "universal" kits would need to keep the temp above a certain point to stop Lucas pumps self destructing.

Being able to switch manually offers the chance to experiment and use the best data logger invented, the space between our ears.

The "Bosch" pump fitted to the Bongo is temperature tolerant unlike others..............Nudge nudge wink wink, and will cope with thicker oil. Now I hold my hands up and admit I have no experience of using waste veg oil with the water and fat contamination that it brings into the equation.
It is possible CV would have problems switching at the temp that I do and his system provides a safeguard but from previous posts I suspect his system WOULD work well down to a heat exchanger temp of 35c or lower. As long as there is a good purge before stopping for long periods.

The only "fault" that I can find design wise is the point the IP return feeds back into the system.
IMHO feeding it into the system just before the heat exchanger makes better sense, this warms the cooler veg offering the heat exchanger less work and a higher outlet temp. :wink:
To infinity and beyond
chipvan
Supreme Being

Post by chipvan » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:08 am

Thanks for your reply tgp.

Yep your right ...if i was doing a diy conversion i would loop the heatexchanger thus heating both fuels.It DOES have a benifit and i did this on my lucas :( berlingo conversion.
I had a much bigger heatexchanger fittet to that and a heated filter.

It would be heated fuel filter b4 valves and looped h/e in circuit.The prob with this is it take ages to flushas your not only flushing a larger loop you have the h/e to flush too.

On my lucas conversion i had a temp thermister/gauge of ip return just off off the pump,and a coolant temp senser probe as well.
The ideas behind this is not only you know your heatexchanger is hot the return from pump is hot,and only switch over when that gets to 50 oc.The idea here was to make sure everything was hot b4 switching over not just fuel.

On my kit(bongo) I van get away from looping heatexchanger as the little glow heater(not glow plug) comes on to aid warming the oil on the return if its low,like a top up.

I too can changer over whenever i like,there is a manual switch or auto.But lately ive been switching over when coolant is upto temp and engine using the aid of my hydon alarm which is on back of block.
Last edited by chipvan on Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
chipvan
Supreme Being

Post by chipvan » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:19 am

Ps you could alway make a senser that pings on a led on dash when coolant/fuel or both is hot.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/home.html

or have a guage/gauges

You could get a temp contraoller so switches at your set temp as well,loads on ebay ar ethey called pid?

I have switched over to veg as soon as started engine on diesel from flush down,the veg goes into loop slowly and by time engine up to temp running on 100% veg.BUT i dont do this often tbh,just did it as a trail.
It worked fine when engine was cold 9 oc.spose its on a blend when 1st starting then more and more veg is mixed in loop..still it was fine and no diference to driving at all!! and thats on almost 100% wvo!!! from cold.

But dont think its good to do this often [-X
Paulinwales
Bongolier

Post by Paulinwales » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:19 pm

Hi there chipvan,

finally got my supply of WVO sorted, Thanks for the advice re filtering and settling very helpful.
have now put together my own conversion kit
got a question for you :)
Which hose did you use to your heat exchange? was it the 12mm bottom of header tank one? That's the only one I can see that is standard 12 mm?

rgds Paul
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:37 pm

The problem for most of us average joes is even if we got to grips with fitted a conversion kit, we've no idea where to reliably source suitable veg oil at a price that makes economic sense of the whole thing. If only that little problem could be sorted :cry:

Return to “Bongo Fuel & Performance Issues”