First big successful trip!

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

oibaf
Bongolier

First big successful trip!

Post by oibaf » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:57 am

Got home yesterday after covering 2000km of Ireland in our 1997 2.5td Bongo. I was worried about a possible exhaust manifold leak so had the manifold and gasket replaced before the trip but the low-pitched hiss sound under load remained with us, although we were never down on power so the turbo was spooling up fine.

Having completed 2000km I'm feeling confident that Bertie Bongo is actually working as it should, despite that hiss. It started first-time, every-time, put up with all sorts of roads and weather, and kept us in relative comfort throughout. It did all while returning an average of 32mpg as well (I'm very gentle with it)!

Two small issues did occur but they were never going to stop us from getting home.
1 - the airbag light is on constantly (not flashing). I think there might be a frayed wire somewhere because it started as an intermittent thing.
2 - Rain seems to have leaked into the headliner above the sliding door. It was a very rainy night and we had the AFT raised so I'm hoping someone can tell me where best to go looking for potential leak points?

Thanks all!
Attachments
IMG_20210818_180337.jpg
IMG_20210819_143358.jpg
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Re: First big successful trip!

Post by Muzorewa » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:06 pm

Nice one, whereabouts did you get to, do you have a map of sorts so we can see. And more photos...

We did a tour of the Emerald Isle in 2012 and thoroughly enjoyed it, haven't been back since but we probably will at some point. A few photos from us HERE
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:06 pm

Your trip sounds lovely, great memories made. πŸ™‚
2 - 2 - Rain seems to have leaked into the headliner above the sliding door. It was a very rainy night and we had the AFT raised so I'm hoping someone can tell me where best to go looking for potential leak points?
Here are a dew things you could check: The drain holes in the sunroof, if you have one.
If you follow the gutter on the outside of the sunroof track on either side to the front where the end of the fin that flaps up on opening is, the drain holes are there!
The other drain holes are behind the rear mudflaps. They fill up with mud and leaves.
And check there are no holes in the roof, rare but not impossible.
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:47 pm

Nice. :D
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:16 pm

Here are some extra pics: https://ibb.co/album/xqq2WV

I'll do a proper write up on the trip soon!
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:26 pm

You packed in a few places there!!

The Galway shot is beautiful :wink:
AndyS95
Bongonaut

Post by AndyS95 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:14 am

Fantastic pics! And 2000km under your belt is very reassuring... Done parts of the wild Atlantic way a few times in ours.. My profile pic is us getting rescued on Fermoyle Beach just past Dingle.. Was that the ferry to kerry you were on? 😊
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:26 pm

AndyS95 wrote: ↑Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:14 am Fantastic pics! And 2000km under your belt is very reassuring... Done parts of the wild Atlantic way a few times in ours.. My profile pic is us getting rescued on Fermoyle Beach just past Dingle.. Was that the ferry to kerry you were on? 😊
I knew I recognised that beach :wink: . In fact, our second night in the Bongo was either on that one or one a couple of miles east of it. How did you end up stuck in the sand? I wasn't brave enough to go that far out!
AndyS95
Bongonaut

Post by AndyS95 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:14 am

It's embarrassing but also amusing and bizarre, so worth telling 😁.. We had not long bought it and to cut a long story short I thought it was 4wd but it wasn't. No one had misled me, somehow I just had it in my head. Anyway, loved the idea of parking on the beach and going for a swim. Found a track going to the beach, parked just on the beginning of the beach, it was completely deserted apart from 1 fisherman. Went for the swim, came back, got dried, had a brew and we are good to go.

Went to reverse and the back wheels just bury themselves, at this point I notice the front wheels are static and the penny drops.

Then 3 folks walk down the road onto the beach making a grand total of 6... They are Austrian and one of them is in the Austrian version of the AA! He takes charge and eventually manages to get it moving - great! To avoid it not getting bogged down again he makes a very broad turn... But it gets stuck again and now it's 50m closer to the sea.. And he says, very sorry but they have to go, so it's back to us and the sole fisherman..

So I leave the bongo with the Mrs and walk down the track, after 1/2 hr I find an older couple unloading shopping - do you know anyone who has a tractor? Yep, I do he says (the whole interaction with this couple is another funny story for another day) so I jump on the back bit and off we go to the beach, he hooks it up and we're free 😁... Happened quite often apparently, I don't think believed me when I said I thought it was 4wd πŸ˜€
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:17 pm

We live near Weston super Mare, this is a daily occurence in the summer. :?
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:42 pm

AndyS95 wrote: ↑Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:14 am It's embarrassing but also amusing and bizarre, so worth telling 😁.. We had not long bought it and to cut a long story short I thought it was 4wd but it wasn't. No one had misled me, somehow I just had it in my head. Anyway, loved the idea of parking on the beach and going for a swim. Found a track going to the beach, parked just on the beginning of the beach, it was completely deserted apart from 1 fisherman. Went for the swim, came back, got dried, had a brew and we are good to go.

Went to reverse and the back wheels just bury themselves, at this point I notice the front wheels are static and the penny drops.

Then 3 folks walk down the road onto the beach making a grand total of 6... They are Austrian and one of them is in the Austrian version of the AA! He takes charge and eventually manages to get it moving - great! To avoid it not getting bogged down again he makes a very broad turn... But it gets stuck again and now it's 50m closer to the sea.. And he says, very sorry but they have to go, so it's back to us and the sole fisherman..

So I leave the bongo with the Mrs and walk down the track, after 1/2 hr I find an older couple unloading shopping - do you know anyone who has a tractor? Yep, I do he says (the whole interaction with this couple is another funny story for another day) so I jump on the back bit and off we go to the beach, he hooks it up and we're free 😁... Happened quite often apparently, I don't think believed me when I said I thought it was 4wd πŸ˜€
That is a fantastic story!
ever after.
Bongolier

Post by ever after. » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:47 am

oibaf wrote: ↑Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:16 pm Here are some extra pics: https://ibb.co/album/xqq2WV

I'll do a proper write up on the trip soon!
Looks like a good trip, will do something similar myself soon enough.

I was looking at the Roadtrippers app and although it's an American app it looks like it could work well here. You can setup waypoints and set your interests and it will show up all points of interest on your route.
You only have limited options with the free version and the subscription is €30 a year.
BongoBongo123
Supreme Being

Post by BongoBongo123 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:15 pm

Good stories on all accounts. Glad your trip was enjoyable.. wears the van in a bit. 2,000km you say ? Oil change for you soon !
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:52 pm

Yes indeed. Still need to find time to do my proper trip write-up but it's coming soon...

Return to β€œBongo Chat”