Thanks!

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

oibaf
Bongolier

Thanks!

Post by oibaf » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:31 pm

Just thought that I should say thanks to you all here for the various bits of advice you have given to me over the last couple of months as I went and searched for a Bongo, then found one, picked it up, sorted a couple of small things, and got to use it.

We had our second camping trip with Bertie this weekend and enjoyed every minute of it (except for that moment where I thought the coolant alarm had gone off but it was just my phone, scared the life out of me!). It had just come out of the garage after having the timing belt done and the tracking looked at again (it's not pulling left as much as before but it's super sensitive to camber).

I was keeping a very watchful eye on the temperature gauge but it always stayed at the 11 o'clock position so all good there.

Cooked in the van for the first time, even washed the dishes too! We're still learning as we go, for example, we ended up putting some cutlery in a box with some dried food and it wasn't easy to find them once you'd sat down so I'm thinking of getting a little pouch and putting the cutlery into that and hanging that pouch from the very rear seatbelt bolt (it's a rear conversion so there's no seatbelt there anymore). Might see if I can mount a kitchen roll holder somewhere to make that easy to find too.

One small thing which I noticed when driving the van was that there was a ticking sound, like a cable tie hitting a rotating wheel, but not quite as "linear" in its timing. It's coming from the driver's side of the van for certain, not really audible due to engine and wind noise above 40 or 50mph but just about able to hear it below that. I've been reading about tappets and clearances as a possibility but must test to see if the noise happens when idling. If it's a valve clearance thing I'd imagine the ticking noise will appear/disappear with temperature changes.

Anyway, thanks for the all of the advice and help so far...I'm sure I'll be asking for more and will do my best to help other members here too.

Here's a pic of Bertie in Robert's Cove, Cork this weekend: Image
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Thanks!

Post by g8dhe » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:33 pm

Great to hear its getting used now! Hope the noises settle down cheaply and easily ;-)
It really does change the style of life when you can leave it packed and ready to go, just need to keep an eye out for the darned Covid problems getting in the way again!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:53 pm

Lovely pic, and great you're out and about. 8)

If you still have two grab handles in the rear you can stretch a bungy between them and pop a kitchen roll on it.

We're un-converted and keep loo rolls one side and kitchen roll the other. :wink:
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:27 pm

I thought toilet roll and kitchen roll was double sided, but I stand corrected as I only use one side.🥴
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:53 pm

Just do your kitchen duties first. :?
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:04 pm

:shock: 😆😆
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:30 am

Nice idea on the bungee!

I've a bleed kit to fit to Bertie this week, and I'm cutting out some suspect looking steel coolant pipe and putting in some coolant hose instead (I was going to actually bypass the rear heater matrix as I was at it but might leave that for another time).

Hopefully that'll mean it'll be ready for road again this weekend. Funnily enough, I was so worried about coolant and airlock that the anticipation before last weekend was really dulled. I was worried about things going wrong when, really, there wasn't much need to.

This coming weekend we might go further than our own county...adventureous!
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:00 am

Good to see you're out and about.

Re: your last post, you will build confidence in the van as you get to know it but there really is no point in having it if you're afraid to use it.

You have to get into the spirit that even if something does go wrong, it's not the end of the world, if the coolant alarm goes off for example it's 99% not the head gone, likely a small leak or a split hose which isn't the hardest thing to fix and anything except the bleeding of the cooling system should be tackled by any half decent mechanic.

Enjoy!
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:35 am

Alkers wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:00 am Good to see you're out and about.

Re: your last post, you will build confidence in the van as you get to know it but there really is no point in having it if you're afraid to use it.

You have to get into the spirit that even if something does go wrong, it's not the end of the world, if the coolant alarm goes off for example it's 99% not the head gone, likely a small leak or a split hose which isn't the hardest thing to fix and anything except the bleeding of the cooling system should be tackled by any half decent mechanic.

Enjoy!
Great advice - it's there to be used like!

Return to “Bongo Chat”