JAL Conversions - again Not able to contact them.

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

SKatey
Junior Bongonaut

JAL Conversions - again Not able to contact them.

Post by SKatey » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:13 pm

I do seem to keep asking the same question, sorry, but...
Has anyone had or know of anyone who has had any contact at all from JAL recently? Over the last three weeks we have called, texted, emailed every contact we have with a query about the van that we have "bought" and nothing.
Any idea? I'm thinking that we've lost a lot of money and I'm not sure where to go from here. It all sounded so reliable at the time.
Thank you.
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: JAL Conversions - again Not able to contact them.

Post by Bob » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:46 pm

I don't think you need worry with Phil.

He can be a little 'disorganised', but he is honest, and I've never heard of him supplying a bad vehicle.

Ours came from him 14 years ago and still happy. 8)
SKatey
Junior Bongonaut

Post by SKatey » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:42 pm

Thanks, Bob. I think you (or someone else?) said this before and this has kept me going for a couple of weeks but he genuinely has not responded at all to a number of text messages, emails (two different ones) and numerous phone messages. The silly thing is that its not actually a major issue that we were asking about - we need the reg number for a crossing we need to book for a few months time - but there is apparently no way of getting hold of him. We've heard nothing from him since he confirmed that he'd received our paperwork back in April.
Presumably if he hasn't run off with our money we will need to communicate with him at some point to get more information so that we can get insurance quotes and so forth.
If I'd heard that something had happened I think I'd almost feel better. But this black hole of communication doesn't feel good...
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:48 pm

If it's still on the boat, and there are many shipping problems just now, it can't have a uk registration number.

Doesn't help your problem, or excuse Phil not getting back to you, but might help put your mind at ease.
SKatey
Junior Bongonaut

Post by SKatey » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:51 pm

Its not on the boat. We bought one that he had available. I'm assuming it must be "registerable" as we could have kept it until it was our turn for the converstion work but he suggested it would be better for it to stay with him as there would be potential for the conversion to happen more quickly than the end of July, which was what he thought was most likely.
Thank you - I appreciate the virtual hand holding!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:12 pm

Maybe leave a message that you're interested in buying something, or suggest you may look elsewhere?
Joe_anne123
Bongolier

Post by Joe_anne123 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:01 am

When I bought mine there was another contact number on the paperwork under the DVLA/logbooks section:

"Please do call Denise direct on Home number 01386 7**** late afternoons or evenings"

This was 2015 mind you so things might have changed but maybe check your spreadsheet?
SKatey
Junior Bongonaut

Post by SKatey » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:33 pm

Thank you thank you thank you! I hadn't spotted that so will try it in the week. No guarantees this will work but another name makes me feel that there is more chance of speaking to someone who will actually answer!
Let's just say I wouldn't have handed over several thousand pounds if I'd realised how stressful this was going to be, however much people rave over the work that he does.
Thanks all. Let's see what happens!
Joe_anne123
Bongolier

Post by Joe_anne123 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:04 pm

If I recall, Denise is Phil's other half and seemed to be personable and organised. Good luck!
Shutie51
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Shutie51 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:46 pm

We bought our Bongo from Phil / JAL last year and absolutely love it , but like you we found it all a bit stressful. After putting down a large deposit, we didn't hear anything for quite a while and all of our texts / emails / phone calls went unanswered, until we were thinking the worst had happened.Phil did eventually contact us ( but not in response to us contacting him ) We put the deposit down in July and finally picked the bongo up in December. The absence of updates and official.paperwork ( ie receipt for deposit etc ) aside, the vehicle is brilliant and we love it. Every thing is as we asked and Phil was excellent on the day that we picked it up. I think it's been noted before that he's a bit eccentric. I'm sure you'll end up with a great vehicle.
SKatey
Junior Bongonaut

Post by SKatey » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:17 pm

Shutie51 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:46 pm We bought our Bongo from Phil / JAL last year and absolutely love it , but like you we found it all a bit stressful. After putting down a large deposit, we didn't hear anything for quite a while and all of our texts / emails / phone calls went unanswered, until we were thinking the worst had happened.Phil did eventually contact us ( but not in response to us contacting him ) We put the deposit down in July and finally picked the bongo up in December. The absence of updates and official.paperwork ( ie receipt for deposit etc ) aside, the vehicle is brilliant and we love it. Every thing is as we asked and Phil was excellent on the day that we picked it up. I think it's been noted before that he's a bit eccentric. I'm sure you'll end up with a great vehicle.
Thank you so much. This is somewhat reassuring!
Sofiah
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Sofiah » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:41 pm

Hi!
We are also having a similar issue, large deposit put down for a van already on site in April. Phil said to check back in 8 weeks but we haven't heard from him.
He estimated end of July/August for the conversion to be ready so we are hoping he will get in touch by the end of next month! He did mention he isn't the best at communicating so we're not too worried yet but like you , we would like to know when we will have the van so we can book in a few trips.
If you have any luck with Denise let us know :D
SKatey
Junior Bongonaut

Post by SKatey » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:38 pm

Sofiah wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:41 pm Hi!
We are also having a similar issue, large deposit put down for a van already on site in April. Phil said to check back in 8 weeks but we haven't heard from him.
He estimated end of July/August for the conversion to be ready so we are hoping he will get in touch by the end of next month! He did mention he isn't the best at communicating so we're not too worried yet but like you , we would like to know when we will have the van so we can book in a few trips.
If you have any luck with Denise let us know :D
No luck with Denise. Number was unrecognised. Our big deposit was end of March and we were told end of July/August but not when to check back.
I think I might try again....
SKatey
Junior Bongonaut

Post by SKatey » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:40 pm

Shutie51 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:46 pm We bought our Bongo from Phil / JAL last year and absolutely love it , but like you we found it all a bit stressful. After putting down a large deposit, we didn't hear anything for quite a while and all of our texts / emails / phone calls went unanswered, until we were thinking the worst had happened.Phil did eventually contact us ( but not in response to us contacting him ) We put the deposit down in July and finally picked the bongo up in December. The absence of updates and official.paperwork ( ie receipt for deposit etc ) aside, the vehicle is brilliant and we love it. Every thing is as we asked and Phil was excellent on the day that we picked it up. I think it's been noted before that he's a bit eccentric. I'm sure you'll end up with a great vehicle.
How did you communicate in the end? Did he message you to say it was ready? Was it in the timescales he originally quoted?
Shutie51
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Shutie51 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:13 pm

Hi, we put our deposit down in July , filled out the spreadsheet and then didn't hear from him, so had to hope that it was all ok. Quite a long time later we received an email ( not in response to the few we'd already sent, asking whether he'd received the spreadsheet ) saying that the vehicle had gone for MOT etc and then nothing again for about a month or so when he needed a bit more info. We then had an email the end of November to say the vehicle would be ready for collection early December. When we put the deposit down, he didn't really give us a time frame , but said he was really busy. I found the lack of contact quite stressful, but can only add that when we picked the vehicle up it was exactly what we'd asked for , cost what we'd estimated ( I found the lack of confirmation / receipt for deposit a bit unnerving ) and we are really happy with it. I should add that we never managed to contact him by phone.

Return to “Bongo Chat”