Reversing the middle seat

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

oibaf
Bongolier

Reversing the middle seat

Post by oibaf » Mon May 31, 2021 12:12 pm

Silly question but...can the middle bench seat on a 1997 Bongo be turned around to face backward?

The Bongo I'm looking at is a 1997 2.5TD with a rear kitchen and the original middle seats. I'd like to be able to turn those around to face the rear, and, also slide the bench up and down to make more room if possible.

I read somewhere that the seat rails differ on some years so just hoping this can be possible...
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Reversing the middle seat

Post by g8dhe » Mon May 31, 2021 1:18 pm

Yes the seat alone can be turned, but then can't be moved as the catch release won't work, to overcome that the rails need reversing as well. I think there is a Factsheet on the subject if your a club member.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Mon May 31, 2021 2:11 pm

g8dhe wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 1:18 pm Yes the seat alone can be turned, but then can't be moved as the catch release won't work, to overcome that the rails need reversing as well. I think there is a Factsheet on the subject if your a club member.
I must go check the fact sheets, I joined as a member a few days ago! Thanks!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon May 31, 2021 5:53 pm

There is a mod to enable the seat to operate either way, just a case of removing the four bolts and turning it round.

Pretty sure the Fact Sheet Geoff mentions was compiled by Forum member 'Madmile', who converts vans professionally.

Bear in mind the middle seat is jolly heavy. Best to get a pal to help lift it. :wink:
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Mon May 31, 2021 10:22 pm

Bob wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:53 pm There is a mod to enable the seat to operate either way, just a case of removing the four bolts and turning it round.

Pretty sure the Fact Sheet Geoff mentions was compiled by Forum member 'Madmile', who converts vans professionally.

Bear in mind the middle seat is jolly heavy. Best to get a pal to help lift it. :wink:
Had a look at the fact sheet and looks like there is a couple of methods I could try. Brilliant!
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:20 am

You can definitely do that, no issue.

One minor niggle, is that once reversed, the middle seat won't slide as far up towards the front of the van while upright, as the back of the seats gets in the way with the back of the front seats. Just something to bear in mind, you have to fold them down to get them all the way forwards.
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:02 am

Alkers wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:20 am You can definitely do that, no issue.

One minor niggle, is that once reversed, the middle seat won't slide as far up towards the front of the van while upright, as the back of the seats gets in the way with the back of the front seats. Just something to bear in mind, you have to fold them down to get them all the way forwards.
That's a great point, I've noticed that on some videos actually.

Ideally, if I do get a Bongo, I'd like to move the middle seats all the way to the back and put the kitchen in the middle-side - a mid-side conversion basically. Long term!
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:01 pm

I made a little video of me tackling this - nothing brilliant but it might give people some ideas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhsmbl3INkE
ever after.
Bongolier

Post by ever after. » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:46 pm

Nicely done, It works out perfectly with the way your kitchen is setup
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:48 am

oibaf wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:01 pm I made a little video of me tackling this - nothing brilliant but it might give people some ideas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhsmbl3INkE
Do you plan to do anything with seatbelts for the rear-facing seats?
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:20 am

Alkers wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:48 am
oibaf wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:01 pm I made a little video of me tackling this - nothing brilliant but it might give people some ideas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhsmbl3INkE
Do you plan to do anything with seatbelts for the rear-facing seats?
I don't. We won't have passengers back there - although there is a lap belt available on the bench should we need it for someone.

Return to “Bongo Chat”