Advice on sprucing up

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

AndyS95
Bongonaut

Re: Advice on sprucing up

Post by AndyS95 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:38 pm

Dazzerman wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:16 pm
AndyS95 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:29 pm Yes, strange times (in so many ways!) at the moment. Old, lumbering vehicles (especially diesel) are kinda living on borrowed time. Yet affordable campervans have never been in such demand, and that often means old lumbering diesels... Living about 1000yds inside the ULEZ (come October) as we do, adds another con to the list.
I have a Freda (N Reg) and also live close to the ULEZ (come October). I bought it in 2005 and its been the most practical vehicle I have owned. It runs well and is perfect for our family needs. We had some sill work done last year but our reliable mechanic hinted that the next MOT could be a costly one with more welding required.

With the popularity of campers I am wondering about going for it and doing it. However we have used it and clocked up 235k on the clock!
I am now quietly optimistic that I will be able to convert our Bongo into a practical, very usable, real world EV for around 10k within the next 5 - 10 yrs... 10k may seem like a lot to spend on a Bongo but when u consider other options from an EV camper point of view... It's an utter disgrace that instead of govs making it easy to convert old vehicles that have already been built and shipped, they would rather we used more energy to scrap them. Then use more energy again to buy a new one that has to be manufactured from scratch and shipped over on a gas guzzling great ship.

It's a topic for another thread I guess but have a look at the series of articles below, there seems to be a movement building...
http://www.coders4climatestrike.com/202 ... ctric.html

Return to “Bongo Chat”