Thinking of joining the Bongo world

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

oibaf
Bongolier

Re: Thinking of joining the Bongo world

Post by oibaf » Mon May 10, 2021 3:49 pm

Bob wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:53 pm Just me, but I would be wary of a non-standard engine, particularly loosing the turbo.

I'm not sure fuel economy will be better, either. You'll need more wellie for a given speed. :?
Yeah, I was wary when he told me about the engine but the Mazda WL-series engine is the same block as the WL-T (which is the standard Bongo diesel). On the test drive, I was able to do 60mph at 2200rpm which seemed standard enough. It took it's time getting there :) .

Funnily enough, the intercooler has been left in place because I was able to take a look and he showed me the air intake pipe, where the turbo would have been. Probably does not harm to leave the intercooler in place, it can't be that big, but it does seem strange.
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Mon May 10, 2021 6:29 pm

I don't mean to annoy people with constant questions but given I'm new to this I'm not sure how much rust is considered "too much". What do you think of this? Would this amount be considered a fairly normal amount?

I did get a look in behind this and it looked, to me, like it had been undersealed.

ever after.
Bongolier

Post by ever after. » Mon May 10, 2021 6:57 pm

I wouldn't worry about annoying people, this would probably be the spot if you wanted to talk bongos :lol:

I'm not sure those pictures uploaded properly, I can't see them anyway
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon May 10, 2021 7:00 pm

Really it's down to how much work or money you're willing to throw at it. :wink:
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Mon May 10, 2021 8:39 pm

Dang, absolutely right, they didn't upload. Sorry.

These first three pics are below the doors, the last of the 3 pics being the worst but I don't know whether these classify as "awful" or "not too bad" in the Bongo world.

Leisure battery and coolant alarm (72ah is considered small is it?)

http://imgur.com/a/ghsSE9s

Some of the conversion, which is tidy enough:

http://imgur.com/a/3LlysK2

A thorough clean of the original interior parts and a spray of contact cleaner through each switch would do it wonders I'd say.

As Bob said, I suppose it's all about how much time and money do I want to spend. Ultimately, our budget is tight and myself, my wife, and our little dog, think we would like to experience what it's like to have a camper for the summer. I've always been Bongo-curious and it fits the bill.

I just don't want to be stuck with something which, come time to sell, I'll end up giving away for a packet of crisps. It'd be nice if it didn't give up the ghost on us over that time either but I'm relatively comfortable with the mechanical condition.
Last edited by oibaf on Mon May 10, 2021 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon May 10, 2021 8:48 pm

Re the leisure battery, if you're mostly going to use sites with hook up it will be fine, if you plan a few days off grid it may struggle.

Geoff has posted a video on how to strip and clean the contacts on the roof switch. It's quite simple, and the switch is the same as the one for the blinds so can be swapped.

The blinds may be operated manually with no harm done. :wink:
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Mon May 10, 2021 8:50 pm

Bob wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:48 pm Re the leisure battery, if you're mostly going to use sites with hook up it will be fine, if you plan a few days off grid it may struggle.

Geoff has posted a video on how to strip and clean the contacts on the roof switch. It's quite simple, and the switch is the same as the one for the blinds so can be swapped.

The blinds may be operated manually with no harm done. :wink:
I should have stated that, in reality, we're just going to be doing the odd weekend, mainly one-nighters. Nothing massive. I'm actually not sure if there's an electrical hook up for campsites.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon May 10, 2021 10:02 pm

Can't see that being any kind of problem, then. 8)
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Wed May 12, 2021 8:28 am

Dang.

I bit the bullet last night but, unfortunately, the van has sold to someone else. I hesitated for a little too long.

I'm surprisingly annoyed at myself.
Allans
Bongolier

Post by Allans » Wed May 12, 2021 10:41 am

Another will come along. And you'll have more knowledge this time.
Servicing Bongos since 2003 in Plymouth, Devon http://www.allansvehicleservices.co.uk
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Wed May 12, 2021 12:13 pm

Maybe you're right Allans - I know a bit more now, even if it did mean driving a round trip of nearly 7 hours at the weekend! I was surprised at how disappointed I was but then I did have my doubts about it, even though some were very nitpicky. I'm a bit of a neat freak, if I notice a switch doesn't work because the seller hasn't blown a bit of contact cleaner through it or done that bit of detail work that indicates real care I start to worry. That might be silly because I know of people who do great mechanical work but don't really care for aesthetics.

Anyway, I know this has been posted in the thread already but I might see if this is available to view this weekend. Yes it's a little over budget, it looks like there might be a bit of surface rust low down but the kitchen unit looks new and the interior might scrub up well. It's located about 2 hours or so from me (all motorway so it's an easy drive compared to going to Glenamaddy on Sunday...it was the back arse of nowhere, albeit nice scenery!): https://www.donedeal.ie/campers-for-sal ... 4/27936963
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Thu May 13, 2021 8:56 pm

The search continues!

I'm waiting on some more pictures of this particular Bongo and, depending on how they look I might take a trip to see it this weekend: https://www.donedeal.ie/campers-for-sal ... 4/27936963

I've given the guy a call and, while he was not mechanically minded, he was able to answer a few questions, which leads me to ask your good folks for your thoughts:

- Seems like it has 225,000km - I know Bongos can run forever but is this way too high?

- He said he had a new steering rack fitted a year ago as the one it had was leaking - normal? I've seen threads on here about leaking racks...

- He said it failed it's last CVRT (MOT) due to alignment issues, which seemed to become an issue after the new steering rack was fitted (or so he says). He then said that it does drive straight but he hasn't found a garage who will do the alignment on the Bongo as their equipment is too new. I have read new alignment equipment may not have Bongos in their database so it has to be done the "old fashioned" way.

- I suspect it might have had a side conversion before. Would there be any other explanation for the rear heater controls and panel being replaced as you can see in this pic?

Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Fri May 14, 2021 11:25 am

More than likely the EHU has been installed in that panel - looks to be a plug or something there?

It's definitely someone has boarded over where the normal trim would have been, maybe the rear heater matrix has been removed - these can leak so a lot of people remove or blank them, negating the need for the separate controls.

If it bothers you, you could get a second hand panel from a breakers if it's not underneath that.

I've rang a few places here previously who could do the alignment / tracking on a bongo and you can get the settings online and give them to a place to do them either. If it's something as small as that preventing it from getting a CVRT, I would find a garage that can do it and get the seller to do it before buying - you don't want to find out that there's a bigger issue when you go to CVRT it yourself.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri May 14, 2021 11:45 am

Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
oibaf
Bongolier

Post by oibaf » Fri May 14, 2021 11:52 am

That's great lads, many thanks.

I'd be wary of buying it without the CVRT (MOT) being done. I'll know more when he sends me a pic of the last certificate but, ultimately, if I were thinking of buying I'd probably insist on him putting it through the test first.

Just in case.

The chrome handrail on the left of the sliding door, in the pic above, isn't standard right? That's usually added be a converter?

As for the chances of that interior panel, again in the above pic, is an EHU point...Ankers you might well be right. A close look at the rear of the van shows what seems to be an exterior hook up point for the EHU (unless both plugs are for a trailer?):

Return to “Bongo Chat”