V6 petrol bongo not well

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Stevejoy5
Junior Bongonaut

V6 petrol bongo not well

Post by Stevejoy5 » Fri May 07, 2021 7:51 pm

Hi all our bongo is having a major issue, the cam seal leaked last year. Now since its been lockdown and with one thing and other not got round to it. Just finally got them done and they leaked again straight away. So stripped down again and done them again with genuine mazda ones as was advised oem always leak. So ok i take that on the chin do it all again. Start it up and they leak again !!! Crankcase must be pressurising but the engine is running sweet as a nut. Can anyone point me in the right direction, i have checked all the breather pipes and they are clear and check valves working fine. Its not done massive miles and i just dont know what to do any ideas or advise??? Thanks all
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: V6 petrol bongo not well

Post by g8dhe » Sat May 08, 2021 7:47 am

Welcome ,can't say I have heard of this discussed at all but what you describe sounds plausible. I believe you can get kit to measure the oil pressure so maybe that would be a means of proving the problem, but not obviously a solution as to why its happening.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Powellct
Bongonaut

Post by Powellct » Sat May 08, 2021 6:20 pm

What sort of seals are they (new to Bongos, vehicle tech of more years than I care to remember)?
Stevejoy5
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Stevejoy5 » Sun May 09, 2021 4:09 pm

Hi thanks, there the passemger side camshaft seals.
Powellct
Bongonaut

Post by Powellct » Tue May 11, 2021 8:06 am

Sorry, I meant what type of seals are they? If they're a conventional lip type the only things that tend to make them leak is incorrect fitting/nicking the seal, or rough/worn journals. I'd be surprised if crankcase pressure was popping the cam seals, but I guess stranger things have happened. The oil level is correct, presumably?

Return to “Bongo Chat”