On no seized engine.

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

g8dhe
Supreme Being

On no seized engine.

Post by g8dhe » Tue May 04, 2021 1:35 pm

Well looks like my summer plans are to be disrupted - heading back from Poole yesterday without warning the engine (V6) seized :cry:
My garage are reluctant to start disassembling it as that will start to incur costs possibly without any good outcome other than a complete replacement, in which case I might need to re-consider if its time for a "new" van, so looks like I'm going to be scanning the adverts! Either for refurbished V6 engines or a replacement Side conversion V6 AFT.
Just cancelled the Welsh Bash, hope I might still be able to make the National but time will tell!
IMG_20210503_153013.jpg
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: On no seized engine.

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue May 04, 2021 4:36 pm

Hi Geoff bummer, lock down released then this happens eh. What were the symptoms if any, could it not be transmission or diff lock up etc
Best of luck bud.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue May 04, 2021 5:33 pm

Nah its definitely within the engine, I was able to coast along with the TC over running the engine with no problem, so the actual gearbox and transmission to the wheels are fine.
Without disconnecting the gearbox and / or removing the cam covers to look at what's happening which means several hours work, they were just warning me after the first checks and how far do I want them to go. Not sure myself yet to be honest, there are several options appearing in just the few hours since getting it in for a checkout.
I Have been toying with replacing the van since 2019, but like everything else it all came to standstill with Covid-19, I can't see myself not having some form of campervan and nothing else seems to be better than the beasts we all know on this group!

There really wasn't any symptoms, had been driving for 1 1/2 hours at the limit along A31/New Forest/M27/A27 went around a roundabout came back up to speed on the A27 we all sorted ourselves out started to put my foot down and ..... nothing .... couple of seconds confusion, no lights, no noises, no smoke, no vibration, so managed to pull across to the nearside when a lay-by appeared so made use of it, by which time brakes and steering getting heavy. After stopping and drawing breathe, the starter was making great efforts but just couldn't turn the engine over at all.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue May 04, 2021 6:01 pm

Geoff, bummer indeed. If indeed it is a fully seized engine then that means a full replacement. And as V6 engines are hard to come by it doesn't sound like a realistic proposition. So could be a replacement van. But perhaps all is not lost......

Shortly after you phoned the office a lady (non member) phoned to ask the best way of selling her Bongo. Marianne told he to sell it via BF, and to email me the details, which I have not received yet. She is based in Worthing (!)

BTW I'll refund your Wales fees in the morning
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Tue May 04, 2021 7:41 pm

What rotten luck Geoff. :(
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed May 05, 2021 9:34 am

Ian wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:01 pm ... If indeed it is a fully seized engine then that means a full replacement. And as V6 engines are hard to come by it doesn't sound like a realistic proposition. So could be a replacement van. But perhaps all is not lost......
My garage have only had a brief look so far, but none of the obvious signs like lack of oil or timing belt etc. I'm thinking along the same lines at present that a replacement might be the quicker way forward, I've had good use out of it seeing as its 1998 and we have had it since 2008, the maintenance costs have been slowly rising and rust repairs are also increasing so this morning I'm biased towards get it back and offload everything and then consider selling it for breaking, whilst looking at what is for sale!
Would prefer a Side converted V6 AFT, but might have to consider what's available, don't want to spend the summer moving the conversion across really!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Wed May 05, 2021 4:39 pm

:( :( :(
Eyes peeled, ears open, the new Bongo is out there.
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed May 05, 2021 4:45 pm

It's a long way from you, but Bongo Spares would quote for collecting it and fitting a re-conned V6.

It's generally better to have major parts supplied and fitted by the same place, just in case of a warranty issue.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed May 05, 2021 4:56 pm

Yes that was one of the considerations and was looking at the Contract Mechanics offerings http://www.contractmechanics.co.uk/wp-c ... cement.pdf
But by the time I add transport costs to Warwickshire I suspect it will be closer to £2500 - £3000 but that's a guess.
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed May 05, 2021 5:08 pm

Both are well thought of, as we know, might be worth checking out collection costs. [-o<

Obviously moving your conversion will take a lot of time just when we all want to be using our Bongos, or buying one with a decent conversion is also £££. 8)
nth
Bongolier

Post by nth » Thu May 06, 2021 6:23 pm

I take it the garage have ruled out something on the aux drive seized? A seized alternator or AC compressor can give the impression of a seized engine.
Fiat Puntos are famous for the alternator seizing solid due to a design flaw in the scuttle area water drain it lets water drip into the alternator. I've also seen a fair few A/C compressors seizing solid in my time.
95 2.5d 4WD AFT
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu May 13, 2021 10:16 am

Right well two threads going to keep me on the road!
A deposit put down on a new import, but won't be ready for 6-8 weeks a V6 AFT again, and I'll probably want a week or two to add some extras, Airlift bags, radio, towbar, solar etc.
and the second thread a replacement engine for Minnie to hopefully fill the gap before selling it to help with the costs! That is on its way today and hopefully only a week or two before I'm back on the road ......
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu May 13, 2021 11:24 am

Well done Geoff.

One way or another you'll be right for Stourport, and Minnie lives to continue her adventures. =D>
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Thu May 13, 2021 6:18 pm

So good to hear your Bongo problems are almost over.
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu May 13, 2021 6:48 pm

Yes I do hope so! Engine arrived at the garage this afternoon, so will get some news early next week I hope as to when it might be ready, few extras to get like new cam belt and bits once they've given it a once over.

Just hope we have a long Summer with no fresh outbreaks to hinder everyone's travelling!
Geoff
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Bongo Chat”