WATCH OUT! Catalytic converter thieves around north London

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

fed
Apprentice Bongonaut

WATCH OUT! Catalytic converter thieves around north London

Post by fed » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:32 pm

Hello everyone, unfortunately last week some thieves have stolen the catalytic converter of my beloved Bongo :( . It was parked on a well lit, good residential area in North London (Camden borough), just in front of my house. They chopped it off by using probably an electric sabre saw (I guess).

It's too late for me but I hope this message will help other fellow Bongoers in the area.

Unfortunately there was no CCTV nor witnesses (as far as I can tell), but it doesn't seem it would have made a difference. There are plenty of youtube videos of catalytic converters being stolen in full daylight with people recording the action with their phone cameras, and the thieves couldn't care less. Nor it seems the Police cares much either about this kind of thefts (or can do much about it).

After doing some research online, it seems that the only option is to make it really hard for them to cut it off by covering it with a steel metal plate or wires. This probably won't save you from really dedicated thieves but it will buy some time and hopefully deter them in first place.

I wish you will be luckier than I was! [-o<
Doone
Supreme Being

Re: WATCH OUT! Catalytic converter thieves around north London

Post by Doone » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:11 pm

Sorry to hear this! I've heard of a few now - one was even stolen when the Bongo was parked in a locked carpark, to which only residents had keys!
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.

Return to “Bongo Chat”