Best Rust Killer

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Jimmy spur
Junior Bongonaut

Best Rust Killer

Post by Jimmy spur » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:48 pm

Hi Ya,

So last year I cleaned up the paint rust bubbles from my Bongo. I stripped the paint back to the bare metal, Sanded the areas down and treated it with Krust. Then I sprayed the areas with undercoat, followed by the final coat and also some lacquer. Now the rust has come back in the same small spots (it hasn't grown at all and there is no visible damage to the actual structure of the metal were the rust has comeback. The areas are very small ( about 5cm max). Can anyone recommend a good product to kill the rust as Krust doesn't seem to do enough!.

cheers

James
willow2u
Bongolier

Re: Best Rust Killer

Post by willow2u » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:12 pm

Whereabouts on body is it
Jimmy spur
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Jimmy spur » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:15 am

There are bits around the outside edges of the wheel arches and also the door joint of the passenger door. When you sand it back it clears away and I cannot see any damage to the metal.
TheBeeman
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by TheBeeman » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:35 pm

Hi Don't post much but.
I have found Bilt Hamber stuff very good.
I bit long winded to use but kept both My TR and XJC looking OK.
My first Bongo lasted well but eventually only welding kept it on the road.
Worth a try though.
Johnnybee.
Winniebongo
Bongolier

Post by Winniebongo » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:07 pm

I can second that Bilt and Hamber stuff is good. They do a product very like Krust but better. I have also used POR-15, it's like a rust encapsulator but it will come back, although you do get about 5 years out of it. It's hard to store and no one seems to have any god advice as to how best you can do this, so best to buy in small lots, roughly how much you are going to use at any given time. It's also a bit awkward to use on areas you intend to spray, it dries really hard and if you rub it down it;s difficult to know if you have a thick enough layer before painting. You can spray it as well right enough but I haven't tried that. I have heard good reports about Buzzweld and have been reading about that but not tried it yet.
As far as Bongos go, they all rust and it's likely it's coming through from the opposite side of the panel. Unless you can access and treat that, the only way to properly repair it is to cut out the bad metal and weld in good stuff. as I don't have welder (might need to rectify that), I have been trying all the chemicals, as above. Hope this helps 8)
Alkers
Bongolier

Post by Alkers » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:12 am

A lot of those rust converters don't work if you grind / sand down all the rust. It needs some rust to remain because it reacts chemically with rust to work. If you remove all of the rust completely you should just primer / paint.

Return to “Bongo Chat”