Hello & Thanks

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

BuddyBongo97
Apprentice Bongonaut

Hello & Thanks

Post by BuddyBongo97 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:22 am

Hi all,
I was using information from this site way before I signed up and bought our first Bongo.
Buddy Bongo was purchased from Topsham Car Sales at the start of 2021 and I have been tinkering ever since. It was in immaculate condition but I decided to add graphics, leisure battery / looms, radio and new led lighting all round!

Thanks to this forum for its information to date!

Best regards from the South West!
Dan
Attachments
20210121_144714.jpg
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Hello & Thanks

Post by g8dhe » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:30 am

Welcome at least to your first post ;-) Glad it s all working out well for you!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:50 am

Hi. 8)

Great looking Bongo. :D
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:30 pm

Welcome and glad you're having fun fettling the new Bongo. I always recommend taking special care of the white paintwork on white Bongos as i think it can get chalky and porous quiet easily (years of Japanese sun and I don't think it has a protective lacquer like the metallic paint has). Waxying can be time consuming and tedious (and so I didn't get it done as much as I should) but I came across Collinite 845 some years back and am really impressed with it. It is a real wax based product, very quick to put on, seems to soak well into any porosity (which is really important to deny moisture access and which I believe explains the pin hole rust spots that I've seen much more on white Bongos than on metallic painted ones), doesn't leave white residue if it gets on black plastic (in fact black plastic seems to like it too, but do your own tests to be safe!). Most importantly, it is super quick and easy to buff up, which means I get the job done more often rather than putting it off as I don't have the time or energy. Its not cheap, but seems to go a long way and is 100% worth it for me. It can be a bit awkward to get out of the bottle so I gently warm it before use.

Anyway, hope you have a great time with the Bongo once this lockdown thing starts to ease :-)
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:13 pm

That looks like a good product, Mike.

Not seen it before, thanks. 8)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:35 pm

Bob wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:13 pm That looks like a good product, Mike.

Not seen it before, thanks. 8)
I love it Bob and mainly because its so easy and quick to put on and polish off, and it doesn't cause white residue issues like the Mer type products. Which means I'm likely to get around to doing the job. Plus it really seems to give a proper wax protection. I've used it on the Eriba Puck caravan roof (white fibreglass gelcoat that has inevitably gone a bit matt and porous with age) and its great on that also. Highly recommended :-)
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:25 pm

We'll wave if we see you around Devon, the Buddy graphic should make you recognisable!
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:14 pm

Hi
I once spoke to a car salesman as to how they kept the cars so shiny and he informed me they use furniture polish. I have been using it since on all my cars, and have never experienced any paint issues. It's goes on super fast, leaves a great shine and the water repellency is excellent. I have in the past used mers, autoglym, turtlewax, meguiars etc, yet none have offered the longevity that Mr sheen has..
Recently I tried sticking some masking tape to the body but it had so much polish on it, it failed to stick..
I own a white van and using Mr sheen has been great, on my dark blue car it can leave it a bit streaky for a day or two unless buffed with a microfiber cloth.

Return to “Bongo Chat”