Insurance claim and bongo parts - canada

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

cgat
Apprentice Bongonaut

Insurance claim and bongo parts - canada

Post by cgat » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:02 pm

Hi Folks,

I'm a relatively new bongo owner (3 months). My wife hit a patch of ice yesterday and landed the van in a steep embankment. She's fine, but the bongo took a bit of hit. Looks like mostly body damage and a damaged rim. Nothing too serious, but I'm hoping to make a claim to get the body fixed.

Because this is such a unique vehicle, I'm expecting some questions from the body shop/mechanic and I'm hoping that people might help me answer ahead of time.

I guess the first question is whether specific bongo body panels would need to be ordered or is this something that can be fixed in a more generic way (I'm honestly not sure what is involved in body work). At the very least I anticipate that the taillights will need to be ordered from somewhere.

Is there a good place to source body panels in North America? I realize there are several websites in the UK.. are any better for body parts specifically?

How do I identify the part number I need? Even just the correct naming of these parts would be helpful so I can search/communicate want I need.

Anyone else experiencing Bongo insurance claims in Canada (I'm in BC)? Anything I should be aware of?

Thanks

Chris
Attachments
IMG_3203s.jpg
IMG_3205s.jpg
IMG_3206s.jpg
cgat
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Insurance claim and bongo parts - canada

Post by cgat » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:02 pm

It's a 96' Turbo Diesel AutoFreeTop btw
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:25 pm

Just be aware that if you put in a claim the insurers may well get prices for parts from Japan and decide to write it off.

I would have a chat with your local, friendly, body shop and see what they can fabricate and repair. You will be lucky to source panels locally, and shipping will be expensive.

Bongo Spares will be able to supply the light cluster.

https://www.bongospares.co.uk/

And rotten luck bumping Bongy. :(
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:57 pm

Part numbers if you wish to find them are on the parts catalogue sites like http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/
click the diagram number (not identical to part number) and the table on each sheet in the top left corner will open up with the part# in the first coloumn.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:33 pm

Once you have identified the part numbers look at these websites:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=77605
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:16 am

The side impact down the side is the area where the rear heater is mounted, this maybe damaged so check this area carefully before other repair, if the heater is damaged it may compromise the coolant system.
cgat
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by cgat » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:17 am

Thanks everyone. Lots of useful information here. I'll let you know how it goes.
cgat
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by cgat » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:39 am

So I was able to track down the part number for the right side panel (rear fender panel part name). According this diagram, it is part number S0Y170400. I found a match here, however the part number has an "A" suffixed to the end: S0Y170400A. I _think_ this is okay, but definitely don't want to get the wrong part at that price. Am I safe?
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:49 am

Give us your chassis number/VIN and I'll check for you.
cgat
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by cgat » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:01 pm

Ian wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:49 am Give us your chassis number/VIN and I'll check for you.
VIN: SGL5-103451

Thank You. I'm also not sure if I need the whole quarter panel (difficult to ship), but I'm unsure if it is modular.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:56 pm

S0Y170400 and S0Y170400A are interchangeable. You need the whole panel. Horrendously expensive though because of the shipping costs.

But armed with the part number your local Mazda dealership may be able to get one in on a regular shipment from Japan and you avoid the freight charge. Try filling out the form at https://www.kamloopsmazda.com/order-parts/

If you want the rear indicator cluster I have one (new) I can send to you at cost price plus postage.
cgat
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by cgat » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:49 am

Thanks Ian. Might take me a bit to figure out if it's worth filling a claim, so I can't order anything until I make that decision, but I'll follow up with you in regards to the taillight if I need to source it myself.
cwilliams255
Bongolier

Post by cwilliams255 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:28 pm

I had reasonably similar damage to my rear quarter and it was fixed good as new by pulling it back out. Obviously the damage midway is more of the issue here but I was surprised how well they were able to fix the damage, hopefully you can find a decent body shop nearby
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:38 pm

As Ady has pointed out, the rear heater is inside the damaged panel, so make certain if the body shop have to disconnect it they let you know so the cooling system can be bled.

I doubt they will be aware of this requirement and may just re-fit and re-fill, thus doing serious damage when you drive it.

Fingers crossed, they won't need to touch it, but best to be aware. :wink:
cgat
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by cgat » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:25 pm

Bob wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:38 pm As Ady has pointed out, the rear heater is inside the damaged panel, so make certain if the body shop have to disconnect it they let you know so the cooling system can be bled.

I doubt they will be aware of this requirement and may just re-fit and re-fill, thus doing serious damage when you drive it.

Fingers crossed, they won't need to touch it, but best to be aware. :wink:
Hi Bob, re: rear heater, is there anything I can get them to reference (youtube videos, links to other website) for this or is this a pretty straight forward job (disconnect, bleed cooling system, refill, etc) as long as they are aware of it? I guess the other option is to order the mechanic guide for the bongo and pass it along.

Thanks,

Chris

Return to “Bongo Chat”