New Bongo owner and loving it, few questions though...

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Redcap375
Apprentice Bongonaut

New Bongo owner and loving it, few questions though...

Post by Redcap375 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:21 pm

Good Afternoon all,

Hello! Owner of a Bongo and enjoying driving it with the wife and 2 kids.

Picked it up in great condition (2000 plate, Black, pop-top, 2.5 2Wd Petrol) and has been really looked after thought it's life, which is great to see. The seller (nice couple) threw in a telly, radio, Awning tent (SunnCamp Lodge 200 Motor Drive Away Awning), stuff for the kitchen, 2 gas bottles and other stuff.

We have also brought a few things to make life easier, like a small Porta Potti 335 Portable Toilet which fits great in one of the cupboard. Thinking of getting a rug/carpet for the awing but first seeing if it's all big enough for the family..If not, then maybe a bigger tent? Do you peeps recommend any?

Now we have figured out most of the bits and bobs which i forgot to ask at point of sale, like 1) what kinda battery i have (Split to alternator i found out) 2) Where the sink pipe leads too and that kinda stuff. But i have 4 questions i wish to ask:

1) What tyre pressures are you rolling with peeps? They came with all round 215/65 R15 100H Constancy tyres and after checked them, noticed they are currently at 44 PSI..Would you say that's about right? Max PSI on the tyre is 50 PSI but with the converted weight and being Heavy duty ones, they can manage fine?

2) What do you use for the waste pipe to catch it all? Foldable bucket? Or do you have one inside the van next to the water one under the sink?

3) WHEN they tyres need changing and we fancy some new alloys :D is there any you recommend? Black Gloss would look sweet. But as i guess the Bongo is heavy as it is, the lighter the better. Also we currently have 15 inch, apart from looking better which is subjective i know, is there much benefit in getting say 17 inch ones?

4) Is an air suspension upgrade the way forward? It does feel the bumps in our British road, well a lot more than our 4x4 Ford kuga does anyway :lol:

On the whole van, there are only 2 signs of rust and i have purchased some Mazda black paint and primer to sort that out. One on the wheel arch and one near the divers window (very small but...Lol). The underside has been dipped and i plan to get it done again when required.

It's great to drive and love it's charm. I knew the VW T4-T5 just want for us, and IMHO not worth the price at all.

Already seen some other Bongos and hand waves are plenty. Looking forward to chatting to some of you peeps later.

Mr and Mrs Lewis of Leicester :P
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: New Bongo owner and loving it, few questions though...

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:07 pm

Welcome!

Rather than taking up space in the cupboards which is always at a premium why not get a cover for the Portapotti then it can be used as a stool if you have any form of conversion ?

Yes Tyre pressures do vary, a lot of people have 38 psi front and 40 psi rear.

I keep a small bucket for the waste outlet, if required, but to be honest depending on how you park you can often get the outlet next to or on grass.

Air Suspension YES well worth while see here http://air-lift.co.uk/load-support/air- ... &results=1
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:27 pm

Welcome aboard. :)

Good info from Geoff, another vote for the air suspension and 38/40 psi.

Before buying alloys check they are up to the weight of the Bongo, plenty fit but will fail, and make sure you can get tyres to fit with a high enough load rating. 96 on the blunt end. Again, plenty fit but will fail, and are illegal.

With 17" wheels the ride will be a bit 'firm'.
Redcap375
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Redcap375 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:18 pm

Thanks to both of you.

To be honest, i'm not really bothered about bigger alloys and the "firm" bit doesn't sound great. Plenty of good 15 inch light alloys out there and they look fine as they are. Just might change the colour and do like for like tyres, just better grip ones and all weather as we are big into travailing. One of the central caps got stolen (the old owner said) and i cant find a replacement as yet on the internet.

I like the idea of the loo cover/sea 8) t. How does the weight vs strength of the thin plastic lid on the loo hold up? But that would save us using a very small fold up chair we have in the back and free up space. Humm....

First i'm gonna make sure i don't already have air suspension, if not then that's the first sound investment.

Pop up bucket sounds good for the waste.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:52 pm

Well I'm 135Kg and its lasted 12+ years of me standing on it!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Bongo Chat”