Mazda bongo V6 feeling really hot to drive

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Garypotter84
Apprentice Bongonaut

Mazda bongo V6 feeling really hot to drive

Post by Garypotter84 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:11 pm

Hi guys. My friend has just bought a 1999 Mazda bongo V6.
The vehicle has recently been MOT'd and serviced.and the previous owner reported no issues. However, after driving it home she noticed that the vehicle felt really hot although the temperature guage didn't get really high.
But as a precaution I have flushed the coolant system incase of an air lock and left it running and the temperature guage sits nicely between 11 and 12 o'clock when idling. She also feels that the vehicle is rather sluggish when going up hills or pulling out on a slip road.
Can anyone explain what may be happening to cause this.
We had an older 1995 model which was a diesel and it seemed to shift a lot quicker. Would the difference in speed be down to the fact the new one is a 2wd and the previous was a 4wd. Any help, advice or guidance will be greatly appreciated
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Mazda bongo V6 feeling really hot to drive

Post by Bob » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:15 pm

After flushing did you bleed the cooling system?

Welcome to the Forum. :)
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:45 pm

The 2WD ought to be lighter and the V6 is very nimble on its tyres!
If you flushed the coolant system I hope you bleed it well!!
If its hot inside the cabin, make sure that the seals on both seats are correctly seated and not letting the heat from the engine bay creep up into the Cab! You do also have a very effective Air Con system provided its been filled of course and not left to rot and leak :-(
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
cwilliams255
Bongolier

Post by cwilliams255 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:45 pm

I recently made the jump from a 4wd diesel to 2wd v6 and it’s fair to say they are completely different in nature, the old diesel actually felt faster and you could pull out of junctions with your foot down. However when you look at the Speedo it tells another story, the petrol feels a bit lacking but hits 30 in no time and provided you let it rev, 60mph doesn’t take that long at all from standing. The one thing I’ve noticed is the exhaust does get very hot but I’d imagine that’s just a petrol thing? Only time I felt hot in mine was when outside temp was 27/28 a few weeks back and I’d had aircon gas taken out to get the rear system capped. Bongo didn’t feel the need to run scavenger can though so I assume all within expected parameters

Return to “Bongo Chat”