Exploring Bongo Ownership

Anything non-technical about the Mazda Bongo Friendee van

Moderators: Bongoplod, aitch

Roy748
Bongolier

Re: Exploring Bongo Ownership

Post by Roy748 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:47 pm

Your very welcome.
I have owned mine for 3 years now, only has approximately 56k miles and although a little sluggish on hills as previously mentioned the engine is smooth and quiet. A common problem on the 2ltrs is a leaking rocker cover gasket, which is a 2 hours job to replace, in my case £100 to repair. The 2 litres also self bleed with regards to coolant which is a big plus over the diesel models. That said I still have a coolant alarm fitted.
This forum is invaluable for information should you have any issues, although the 2ltr engines are said to be pretty robust.
nesty
Junior Bongonaut

Post by nesty » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:47 pm

Roy748 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:47 pm Your very welcome.
I have owned mine for 3 years now, only has approximately 56k miles and although a little sluggish on hills as previously mentioned the engine is smooth and quiet. A common problem on the 2ltrs is a leaking rocker cover gasket, which is a 2 hours job to replace, in my case £100 to repair. The 2 litres also self bleed with regards to coolant which is a big plus over the diesel models. That said I still have a coolant alarm fitted.
This forum is invaluable for information should you have any issues, although the 2ltr engines are said to be pretty robust.
Cheers many thanks for that, sounds like you have a decent low mileage-r there!
joebongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by joebongo » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:00 pm

Evening nesty, just reading your posts. I'm in SW Herts and was wondering if you've managed to sort a bongo yet?
I own a 2l petrol and its a terrific vehicle so any Q's feel free to ask.
nesty
Junior Bongonaut

Post by nesty » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:14 pm

joebongo wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:00 pm Evening nesty, just reading your posts. I'm in SW Herts and was wondering if you've managed to sort a bongo yet?
I own a 2l petrol and its a terrific vehicle so any Q's feel free to ask.
Hi Joebongo
I haven't got one yet, though I am looking for one, which eventually takes my fancy! I seem to be favoring a V6 at the moment, I am not sure, if the 2L would be pokey enough; (there is a question for you), how you found your 2L in the pulling area?
I am too in SW Herts!
Nesty
joebongo
Junior Bongonaut

Post by joebongo » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:49 pm

2litre engine is no problem.
We drove fully loaded for a months holiday,over 800 miles with an overnight stop and fuel breaks with ease and on motorways managed to keep a steady
65-80 mph where permissable.Also journeyed just over 600 miles in one day, with the usual breaks, again with no worries.
We've been up some steep hills and small mountains and it was like any other vehicle of similar engine size so although we originally tried to find a 2.5 L the smaller engine has given us no trouble whatsoever.
I've probably owned or hired or used 30-40 cars, vans of various shapes and sizes during my driving life and can confidently say our Bongo is in the top 3.
I'm never surprised when I hear of their resilience or when others comment about their suitability for all year round road trips and as a comparison with other well known and in my opinion overpriced makes I believe they're an absolute bargain.
At the risk of sounding too much like a salesman,at its yearly MOT I get told the same comment from the testing station.
"This is by far,the best vehicle that comes here".
Hope this helps.
nesty
Junior Bongonaut

Post by nesty » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:48 pm

Ok many thanks for this, very handy information to know.
I have looked at other models, though the Bongo really does tick all my boxes for what I require. The thing at the moment is I am siding more for the V6 + LPG (though could get LPG done later on) and finding an interior I like. I had a VW T25 which I have now sold and it was very slow, so prefer an engine with would get up hills etc, the 2L could also fit that bill, which would open up more choice. I certainly don’t want a Diesel, I am just not a Diesel guy!
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:36 pm

Hello Nesty
I cannot confirm whether this is true but I did read some time ago that I believe it's the valves on the bongo, although may have been something else on the bongo, are not designed for the higher temperature associated with LPG running. I would definitely do some further research on this if you are looking at LPG
nesty
Junior Bongonaut

Post by nesty » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:49 pm

Roy748 wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:36 pm Hello Nesty
I cannot confirm whether this is true but I did read some time ago that I believe it's the valves on the bongo, although may have been something else on the bongo, are not designed for the higher temperature associated with LPG running. I would definitely do some further research on this if you are looking at LPG
Ok thanks, re LPG I'll look into this. Though I think I read that the V6 had hardened valve seats?

I hope to join the Bongo clan soon, though it's just looking out for the correct one for my liking, difficult to say if the prices will in fact come down over winter, as COVID looks like to be around well into 2021.
Roy748
Bongolier

Post by Roy748 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:17 pm

Definitely worth researching, I just recall their was a concern with LPG.
It does seem that due to covid and the increase in stay at home vacations the price of camper vans have risen considerably this year, with the likelihood of this virus being around much longer than expected I can only see the price of Van's and campsites going up to cope with demand.

Return to “Bongo Chat”